Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your opinion of digital HF voice communication  (Read 871 times)
N6HBJ

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2003, 04:09:28 AM »

I read Feb CQ and they had an article about the first transatlantic HF digital voice QSO. Software will be avaliable this year.

The communication had "noise free, FM like reception" and audio quality was roughly that of a "conventional telephone circuit."

I enjoy HF the way it is with all the noise and such. I realize it is somewhat archaic but that is what makes HF fun to me. I would not like to see the day come when we all use HF like a telephone. Heck, we can do that now with the internet. Why bother?

I enjoy noise free vhf/uhf FM but to me HF is the "soul" of ham radio. That good old hiss coming from the radio on late nights or weekends is soothing to me. I hope it stays that way.

I think a good idea would be to have certain frequencies for digital for those who want to use it, kinda like now with psk or SSTV.

What is your opinion?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 08:10:24 AM »

Digital HF Voice is fine as long at it is confined to a specific 'digital' block in the band plan.
KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 08:46:00 AM »

Any innovations in radio technology should certaintly be encouraged. Just the thought of digital eliminating QRM and making jammers identifiable (with a valid callsign of course)would be most welcome. In order for a digital QSO to occur you must, as with all digital transmissions, have a originators identity and the destination identity so a signature will be issued for whoever is involved in the QSO and that includes the unwelcome parties of the QSO.

You will be able to pack a great deal more of QSO in the spectrum so digital definitely has merit.

Bob KAØMR
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 11:26:27 AM »

Lets face it... Digital voice on HF is not practicle. You can not expect to have the strong path needed for this operation most of the time. Raising the power levels to increase through-put is not the direction we should be going either. I am sure the technology is interresting and HF digital voice will continue to be persued by a small fringe group of hams that enjoy this.

Griff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: