About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UN HQ  (Read 5595 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 12:10:44 PM »

How about standing outside the building with a FT817 and whip antenna?  That should still be on 4U1 soil. 

73 John AF5CC

That's kinda what I am talking about

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »

How about standing outside the building with a FT817 and whip antenna?  That should still be on 4U1 soil.  I worked 4U1WB a while ago on 6 meters and did get a QSL out of them. 

73 John AF5CC

Should not be a problem if it's the UN Staff Recreational Council (UNSRC) doing that. But any joe blow off the street even with a license would be an illegal operation and not valid for DXCC.

Also as soon as you enter you need to go through the security tent. It's like airport security, they xray your bags and everything.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »

How about standing outside the building with a FT817 and whip antenna?  That should still be on 4U1 soil.  I worked 4U1WB a while ago on 6 meters and did get a QSL out of them. 

73 John AF5CC

The 817 would be an overkill. All you need is a 2m handie-talkie Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 01:39:07 PM »

73 John AF5CC

Should not be a problem if it's the UN Staff Recreational Council (UNSRC) doing that. But any joe blow off the street even with a license would be an illegal operation and not valid for DXCC.

Also as soon as you enter you need to go through the security tent. It's like airport security, they xray your bags and everything.

Getting a letter of permission would be the biggest hurdle.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 01:52:45 PM »

There was an article on an activation in QST. I remember Marti was part of the group. I'll find the article tonight.

Jonathan W6GX
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 02:04:10 PM »

There was an article on an activation in QST. I remember Marti was part of the group. I'll find the article tonight.

Jonathan W6GX

LOL  Grin "Activation".  
Not laughing at you Jonathan, just laughing at the fact that a building in New York is rarer than talking to some little Island in the Pacific. Even funnier is that a Top Dxpedition leader is needed to get permission to operate from a building.

I don't know why they just don't make every Embassy in every country an Entity.  They all pretty much hold the same status as the UN.  I know there is a rule against an Embassy using Ham Radio gear, yet the UN can do it even though they are the main location for the worlds ambassadors.   Why not just make it a level playing field for the Absurd entities instead of just having one we can add a few hundred  Grin
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:44:48 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 02:17:19 PM »

^^^^^^

Yea ironic ain't it  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

#62 on clublog.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »

The article on 4U1UN is in the Oct. 2010 issue of CQ not QST.  It's a very nice article with lots of pictures.  Below is an excerpt taken from the article regarding guest ops.

"As of now, 4U1UN is off the air indefinitely during renovation of the United Nations Secretariat Building.  Once the station returns to the air, Mohamed KA2RTD offers the following guidelines for ham visitors to New York who would like the opportunity be a guest operator:

People interested should send an e-mail to 4U1UN@un.org.  It is auto-forwarded to all club members, to see who, if anyone, is available.  If professional duties interfere, we will have to decline; or if a potential guest is staying in New York City for a while, we will try to arrange something.  Don't just show up in the lobby!... We try to help guests by being available when they come.  We try to balance guests according to geographical area or country; someone coming from 10,000 miles away will have priority over someone from New York.

Sometimes we receive requests for skeds.  Because of professional constraints, we cannot make skeds.  We try to be fair to all.  We can't play favorites on the air.  We must take all comers.

So drop an e-mail to Mohamed or James K2QI if you're planning a visit to New York once the station is back on the air.  However, be flexible with your time and don't be upset if their professional responsibilities prevent them from hosting you as a guest op."

Jonathan W6GX
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2013, 11:15:58 PM »

someone coming from 10,000 miles away will have priority over someone from New York.

Interesting.  You think if I dropped them an email from darkest Laos and arranged a visit, I'd be able to operate the station?

Any takers to finance my trip to New York? Smiley

Simon
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 07:44:41 AM »

Interesting.  You think if I dropped them an email from darkest Laos and arranged a visit, I'd be able to operate the station?

You might have a better chance than us locals!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: