Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contesting on 17 Meters  (Read 12516 times)
KG8JF

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »

What is going on with a contest on 17 meters.  In the past it was the only place I could go when a contest was going on.  I hate contesting, but before I figured that as long as there was a place to run to that it was ok.  Now I am just plain pissed.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 06:37:15 AM »

I tuned across the band with my Flagpole vertical and the only thing out of the ordinary is a simplex pileup on a station operating from the Vatican.   Huh

The big IARU contest ended 90 minutes ago--which means the only event running right now is a straight key contest...

http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 06:49:38 AM by W1VT » Logged
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 07:03:33 AM »

The Vatican pileup is still simplex-nor do I see anyone splattering across the band trying to work him.

No signs of a CW contest on 17M

Zack W1VT
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 11:08:55 AM »

Did you actually hear someone call, "CQ Contest"?

What exactly was the exchange?

Did you hear a lot of activity across the entire band or was it concentrated one frequency?

Was it on phone (I am guessing it was), CW or digital?

Saying that there was a contest without giving specific information about you heard is pretty much... useless!

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »

As much as I love contesting I hope none of the WARC bands become a contest band.  Besides, 17M has too narrow of a frequency span.  Probably someone hit the wrong button on their DVR when on 17M.

73 Randy AJ7G
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 01:11:07 PM »

What is going on with a contest on 17 meters.  In the past it was the only place I could go when a contest was going on.  I hate contesting, but before I figured that as long as there was a place to run to that it was ok.  Now I am just plain pissed.

Another instance of someone using the SWAG method.

Stupid
Wild
Assed
Guess

Nothing to see here.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 01:20:41 PM »

Well this weekend was the IARU HF Championships. I would have disappointed if there wasn't at least one "I Hate Contests!" thread.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 03:49:55 PM »

There's been several other threads like this in other forums, where someone complains about "contesting" on 17 meters.

The people complaining are not all clueless newbs, either. At least some, including the OP of this thread, have been around long enough at least on and off to know the difference between a contest and a DX pileup.

I have never heard anything like a contest on 17 meters. But with the multiple complaints just in the past few months. it makes me wonder if there really is someone running something that sounds like a contest on 17 meters? Maybe not a big enough one for everyone to notice, maybe a sprint of some sort,  but something going on that sounds like a contest.

The main problem when people post these complaints about alleged 17 meter contesting is that there's never any details.

Dates? Times? Modes? Frequencies?  Exchange used? Callsigns? Any kind of verifiable information.

Otherwise it's hard to take these seriously.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »

I was able to tune around almost as soon as the message was posted--but didn't hear anything in the next half hour. 

Zack W1VT
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »

If a ham wants to make bunch of very quick QSOs, or to practice his skills at logging/copying/CQing in contest mode, or to shake out his equipment in preparation for a real contest, it seems logical that calling "CQ CONTEST" is the best way to do that - regardless of whether there is an actual contest or not.

Just because someone is calling "CQ CONTEST" on any band or frequency does not mean there is necessarily a contest going on, or that the rules of some contest allow for operation in certain "banned" bands.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 08:26:08 PM »

Really???

If someone calls "CQ CONTEST" and I call him back and he says something like, "I'm not really participating in a contest. I am just practicing my contesting skills." or "I'm not really participating in a contest. I just want to make a lot of contacts as quickly as possible.", how long do you think it will be before the "band police" start crawling all over him? And if he is doing this on the WARC bands... in the words of Mr. T, "I pity the fool!"

With all due respect Franz, I think you are really stretching things a bit too far.

But that being said...

It is actually fairly common to have a "pre-contest" shakedown. Many people do this to make sure their radio and logging software are playing nice together so they can hopefully minimize Murphy's influence during the contest. But in all my years of doing this, I have never heard anyone call "CQ CONTEST" before the contest actually starts and I have certainly never heard it on the WARC bands.

Now c'mon... calling "CQ CONTEST" when there isn't actually a contest taking place and on bands where contesting shouldn't be taking place... If that doesn't define a LID, I don't know what does!

N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 04:19:10 AM »

Really???

If someone calls "CQ CONTEST" and I call him back and he says something like, "I'm not really participating in a contest. I am just practicing my contesting skills." or "I'm not really participating in a contest. I just want to make a lot of contacts as quickly as possible.", how long do you think it will be before the "band police" start crawling all over him? And if he is doing this on the WARC bands... in the words of Mr. T, "I pity the fool!"

With all due respect Franz, I think you are really stretching things a bit too far.
Well, I think it's stretching things a whole lot further when you add that response! Haha, that's not exactly the kind of exchange that sharpens one's contesting skills!  It seems to me that one of the few reasonable questions you could ask an active contester with any kind of courtesy is, "What contest is this?" Just don't expect a lengthy answer Smiley
Now c'mon... calling "CQ CONTEST" when there isn't actually a contest taking place and on bands where contesting shouldn't be taking place... If that doesn't define a LID, I don't know what does!
Hey, I'm only promulgating a theory here, not condoning a practice.

But over the years, I've heard a LOT of weird (to me) operations coming from DX stations!  (I won't get into what I've heard from domestics...)
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 06:47:34 AM »

The contest this weekend had a lot of people calling without making any mention of "Contest", much more than I have heard before.  Since the response here was just the signal report and the zone it would be very easy to call CQ on 17M and to get responses that would look like contest replies.

Sam
W9KDX
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »

I think I will get on 17 tonght and call "CQ Not a Contest" real fast and see how long it takes for someone to tell me there is no contesting on 17 Grin. Bet I do not get more then 10 calls before I get jumped on.
AB4O

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 07:45:38 PM »

Some poor soul probably thought he was on 20 meters!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: