Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New 4sqrp Cyclone40 Kit?  (Read 9119 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:48:06 AM »

This new kit by the Four State QRP Group looks fabulous and so simple. Cost: $104!
http://www.4sqrp.com/cyclone.php

There's a new Yahoo Group at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cyclone40/

How do these actually play on the air?  I've yet to find a review on EHam or elsewhere.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:25:55 AM »

$104 including shipping , 4 watts output, covers the entire CW band 7000-7125, CW read out in 3 or 4 digits, CW band edge marker, Receive 30 ma typical at 13.6 VDC, Transmit 500ma typical at 13.6 VDC Will operate down to 9v, No SMT,  Receiver is Superheterodyne, 11 MHZ IF, 4 Crystal IF Filter, Stability seems very good. No keyer is included.

It would seem that this is a competitor to the MFJ Cub, with this beating out the Cub on several points. Looks like it has very good specs and the price is certainly right.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »

KYR:  Off subject..... Our very first radio station in this town of Keyser (WV) had the callsign of WKYR.  Now if you have a buck 'n half you can buy a cup of coffee....   Grin
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:27:14 AM »

What's in a name?

Some of us will remember the Hallicrafters SR-400 Cyclone transceiver, running about 400W input
or 200W output on SSB/CW.  (The "Hurricane" model ran a full kW.)

Clearly a different era...
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »

This new kit by the Four State QRP Group looks fabulous and so simple. Cost: $104!
http://www.4sqrp.com/cyclone.php

There's a new Yahoo Group at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cyclone40/

How do these actually play on the air?  I've yet to find a review on EHam or elsewhere.

I'm building one, but its not finished. The user's group has info from those who have finished their rigs and have them on the air.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 05:58:42 AM »

I'm a member of both 4SQRP Yahoo groups. I haven't seen anything in detail about the Cyclone 40's on-air performance especially in comparison with similarly priced kits. How drift-free is its unusual PTO tuning system?

Selectivity is given as 500 Hz but like most QRP radios that's probably only at 3 dB down. I wonder how well the AGC works. 
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 08:03:44 AM »

I'm a member of both 4SQRP Yahoo groups. I haven't seen anything in detail about the Cyclone 40's on-air performance especially in comparison with similarly priced kits. How drift-free is its unusual PTO tuning system?

Selectivity is given as 500 Hz but like most QRP radios that's probably only at 3 dB down. I wonder how well the AGC works. 

I Will let you know.  Grin I was waiting on a couple parts, but I have them now so I can continue.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 11:07:38 AM »

I was waiting on a couple parts

That's not a good sign. But their kits generally have a good reputation for being correctly packaged.

Too bad there's no Sherwood-type list for basic QRP kits.  Eham QRP kit reviews aren't that helpful. Many come from new hams or those who are mainly builders. Like you, I enjoy subjecting these minimalist radios to real tests, where they are often quite usable. And fun.

I'll probably send off for a Cyclone40 when I get some time to build it.   
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »

I was waiting on a couple parts

That's not a good sign. But their kits generally have a good reputation for being correctly packaged.

Dan's been very available in case of missing parts, questions, etc.. as you probably can see from the user's group.  Also Terry. I think this is Dan's first experience with kitting. You have to learn somewhere. I can handle errors, response is more important.  Grin
They said the first 100 have been sold so the new boards have a couple of the mods incorporated. From that aspect, it may have been good to wait.
In any case I'll let you know how it goes.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 08:07:27 PM »

This post from today is the first I've seen quantifying some aspects of the Cyclone's performance, even tho the owner hasn't made a Q with it yet.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cyclone40/message/201

Cyclone's 125 kHz coverage and slow tuning are a plus for serious QRP DX contesting. In the ARRL DX contest I made some rare Qs above 7.070, the top of my OHR-100's range. Plenty of pileup shy European goodies lurk above 7.100 during the CQWW.

WB8YYY reports that his output drops below 3 watts lower in the band where competition is heaviest. But he thinks that may be fixable. Otherwise the radio looks very nice with plenty of audio (and AGC which he doesn't mention). I'm anxious to read his report on the receiver's selectivity.

--
Yep, the 2nd batch of 100 kits have some improvements.  Please let us know how yours turns out.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 08:23:17 PM »

In the ARRL DX contest I made some rare Qs above 7.070

I bet the majority of my 40 meter ARRL DX and CQWW DX contest Q's are above 7050. I don't keep a good record of the exact freq during contests, but it seems I'm up there a lot as the big US stations dominate below 7025. (depending on the time of course) Many times there are some really good multipliers up above 7050 and close to 7100 - as you pointed out.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:02:23 PM »

WB8YYY reports that his [Cyclone 40] output drops below 3 watts lower in the band

Today he posted on the Yahoo Group that tweaking L3/L4 boosts output in lower part of 40. Now he gets:

"7014.9   4.8 watts
  7067.7   4.8 watts
  7104.8   4.2 watts
  7118.1   4.0 watts"

But I'll find out for myself. I just ordered Cyclone 40 kit #1xx.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 11:00:29 PM »

I hope the folks who order this rig enjoy the
build and are happy with it's performance.

I hope the folks who sell the kit do well with it.

For me, after building the Hendricks MMR-40,
I'll never build a QRP (or other) XCVR with a PTO again.
Wayyyy too drifty, especially fer CW.

On the plus side, nice to see a QRP offered
with AGC for a change!  Grin

Seems to me that it is not that much more difficult,
nor a large increase in parts count, to use a 10 turn
pot and a varicap diode tuning setup.

GL ES 73, Ken  AD6KA
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 06:24:25 PM »

I have my Cyclone up and running, so here are some first impressions.  The receiver is fabulous - audio is robust and pleasant.  The receiver design with its MOSFET mixer is not overwhelmed at all tuning across 40m - it offers more linearity than many QRP rigs (that also are generally fine for normal QSOs).  The xtals came reasonable well matched, although I have evaluated the response of the IF/audio filter combination.  The receiver is amongst the best in the shack.  Those varying transmit power numbers are mine - and they can be improved by increasing capacitance in the filter network prior to the PA.  My numbers are already better as I retuned these transformers, I may have reported the result on the Group. Suffice it to say the rig can do 5 watts out or very close to it.  The PTO tuning is smooth and it does cover the full CW spectrum.  I will admit mine may need a little work to stabilize the PTO - but note a bumpy ride to get through the project is normal for this kind of build - nonetheless there were no major issues in the build.  The PTO on mine is much better after some warm up time, but it is not as stable as the similar PTO in my Norcal 2030.  This rig is actually pretty well refined as built, and I am confident any builder willing to contribute some sweat equity will end up with a really nice rig for this investment.  I myself would definitely order one knowing what I know now - this is one sweet rig on the ears, and fun to operate.  I suggest the motivation to get one is if you really want a medium-small QRP that offers higher performance than many earlier similar rigs, and you have a little sense of adventure.  No difficult assembly steps are involved, but you must think through the instructions in places.  The project is well crafted by an enthusiastic team. 
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 07:09:52 PM »

Brief update - my Cyclone does drift when first turned on and left on receive.  But after a few minutes it is quite stable, and when I start transmitting after this it does stay put.  So I recommend some warmup time for this rig.  I noticed the NC2030 I mentioned does use NPO capacitors, while the Cyclone uses a silver mica.  I have heard these can be very stable, or not.  Still taking data - but now I am confident this is not a limitation of this nice rig, and if it is for a particular sample it can be dealt with.  Perhaps its the combination of the xtal filter shape (Gaussian in this example) and the audio amplifier design - but this rig is one of the cleanest I have experienced. 
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: