Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuning a Ten-Tec Century 21 to a signal?  (Read 2867 times)
KA0HVE

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2013, 02:07:38 PM »

I've seen at least one review talking about tuning the C21 to the correct side-band when operating so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Here's the way I do it.  I press the zero beat button in and hold it while I adjust the tuning knob to the center of the two sidebands for silence.  That way I'm right on top of the other ham's signal when I transmit.  Then I let go of the zero beat button and adjust the RIT knob to whichever side gives me the cleanest sound with the least interference.

Am I doing something wrong?

Since this has a DC receiver instead of a super heterodyne I think I'm doing it right but maybe someone here can confirm the correct procedure.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:18:23 PM by KA0HVE » Logged
N3MP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:36:14 AM »

You are using the correct procedure.It is on page 2-2 of the owners manual under zero beat.

If you need a copy of the manual it is on the Ten Tec website:

http://www.tentec.com/downloads/manuals/Model%20Century_21%20Analog%20Owner%20Manual.pdf
KA0HVE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:16:55 AM »

Thank you!
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:11:33 PM »

Glad to hear that someone's using a C21 - I had one when they were new, enjoyed it hugely!
Use to take it out to my Titan II ICBM site and hook it up to the big discone antenna in off hours.
Do you have the matching single paddle keyer ?
KA0HVE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 12:23:37 PM »

No, I don't have the keyer but I have the xtal calibrator.
KA0HVE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »

Glad to hear that someone's using a C21 - I had one when they were new, enjoyed it hugely!
Use to take it out to my Titan II ICBM site and hook it up to the big discone antenna in off hours.
Do you have the matching single paddle keyer ?

Speaking of the matching single paddle keyer, do you know where I can get one?  Someone offered me theirs last year and I thought about it but didn't get it.  I've read mixed opinions on it.  I'd like to try a single paddle keyer though but I'm not sure that's the one to get.  Have you used one?  If so, what did you think?
W0EA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 01:35:14 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFJ29oNobvk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: