Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lead free solder question  (Read 13663 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 09:09:28 AM »

My post was distorted ....... or something.....

It was to have read, "Tree hugging, Granola snorting".....
KB5UBI

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2013, 11:30:43 AM »

The problem did not originate with lead solders. 

Lead poisoning is CUMULATIVE. 

The position, then, is to eliminate adding any more lead to the problem. 

Back in '77, when the Committee for Concerned Scientists published the multiple measurements that indicated that there was at least 200 metric tons of Pb in the AIR, which means that it would end up on the ground and in the ground water, etc. was when the much maligned Catalytic Converters came along, plus UNleaded gasoline mandates. 

There is no simple formula for when someone has absorbed too much lead, apparently one person can deal with more of it than another, which only serves to confuse even more. 

The psychological symptoms of lead poisoning may explain a lot about the current events we've been observing, though. 

It ain't pretty.

I was under the impression lead came from the ground.

KB5UBI
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 03:06:28 PM »

Two things in life are certain - death and taxes.

With modern medicine, death isn't so certain.......

And

Lawyers and doctors are said to 'practice.'

Doctors bury their mistakes while lawyers get other people to pay for theirs......
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 03:38:01 PM »

I was under the impression lead came from the ground.

KB5UBI

And from the ground to the leaded gasoline, from the internal combustion engines to the AIR...

I think a reread of my entire post is in order. 

AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 04:03:55 PM »

I recently discussed this lead-free solder; whisker growing stuff with a former NASA electronics engineer. 

He said this whisker thing has been a problem for about a decade and the whole damn debacle was caused by the same "tree  snorting" group that brought us the 1.6gal. flush tanks, little cars, catalytic converters and all the rest of the nonsense we have to deal with today.

It's amazing how laws get passed to shut up a vocal person or group without any thought of the consequences.  Either by the government or the idiots who want "change."

Couldn't have been much of an engineer.  See http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199001113220203.

Lead removal is due to science...you know, that thing engineering is based on.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2013, 01:54:17 AM »

Then I visited the place that wave-soldered small PC boards for us the last place I worked. It was pointed out to me that every six months the 12" to 14" stainless steel fume ducts leading away from the molten solder area had to be taken down and cleaned out

You'll notice in my comments, I noted the temperature IN NORMAL HAND SOLDERING.  This is a relatively passive process where the only significant energy input to the solder is the heat applied.  For example, you can vaporize water by shaking it in a bottle (energy = mechanical), by applying heat until, ultimately, it boils (energy = heat), or by spraying it through a aerosol nozzle (energy = mechanical pressure).  The point being that the total energy input determines the point at which a substance vaporizes.
In the case of wave soldering, you have, not only heat, but the mechanical energy necessary to form the "waves" so the amount of heat necessary to cause at least some of the solder to vaporize is consequently less.
It is, therefore, reasonable to expect that this solder vapor will occur at a lower temperature than would be expected in hand soldering or, for  that matter, in a solder pot.  That being the case, exposure to the vapor will also occur at much lower temperatures.
While, not that long ago, even wave soldering in small batches was accomplished without much protection, fortunately it didn't take long to discover the hazards involved in lead poisoning.  With hand soldering, however, the primary hazard was, and remains, the toxic elements of the fluxes used both internal and external to the solder itself.  And, if anyone would tend to minimize this hazard in comparison to the lead issue, let them experience hour after hour of struggling for the next breath as I did for many years prior to the advent of the current "rescue inhalers" which I have had to use ever since.
So, it seems that soldering without appropriate protection has turned out to be a "double edged sword" from both the fluxes at lower hand soldering temperatures and from lead vapor in unprotected process soldering.
AND, it ain't pretty to struggle for breath either!
Tom
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2013, 06:03:25 AM »

Not to mention that the Wave-Soldering process subjects rather large molten vats of lead solder to sonic and ultrasonic wave modulation at a considerable amplitude level. 
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: