Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just about to buy a new rig but now can't decide !  (Read 4595 times)
S109

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »

Hi,

Got some spare cash so going to get another radio  Tongue was going to get a 480SAT as I've nearly bought one a while back but now looking at the HX. I don't need VHF of UHF, I do like the 590s but its a bit too expensive Cheesy I'm buying something that is really for home use although I had been thinking if I like it a lot I get another for my van or get a 590s for home.  Now do I need the built in tuner or not  Undecided also I can't even use 200w I'm limited to 10w lol hopefully I'll be allowed 50w soon if I pass my intermediate then I can use the full 200w if I do my advance license.

Also read the SAT tuner isn't that good ?

Help !

M6SWA/2E0SNJ
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 05:10:12 PM »

I have a TS-480HX in the car and it's a good radio. After the initial setup there's no need to go into the menu and I've had no reason for a tuner.

I would seriously consider it for a base station radio.

KK4CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »

I run a 480hx for a base station, id also run a 480hx as a mobile when i get to that point.  For tuners i have a palstar AT4K
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 02:21:01 PM »

480 is a fine rig. If SWR is not a issue go with HX

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:49:37 AM »

I think it`s always a good idea to get a rig with an autotuner if one is offered,as you never know when you`ll need one. Either rig is a good choice.
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »

I had a TS-480 Sat at one time and they are a good radio.  That is a 100 W radio of course.
Before you purchase, the fully aware our requirements needs to generate 200 W.
The power requirements to get 200 W of output as a base station are a little high for which you get. 
This is from the Manual regarding power for the aged hx model:

DC POWER SUPPLY CONNECTION
In order to use this transceiver, you need a separate 13.8 V DC power supply (two 13.8 V/ 20.5 A or single
13.8 V/ 41.0 A DC power supply(s) is required to transmit for the TS-480HX) that must be purchased separately.
Do not directly connect the transceiver to an AC outlet. Use the supplied DC power cables to connect the
transceiver to a regulated power supply. Do not substitute a cable with smaller gauge wires. The current capacity
of each power supply must be 20.5 A peak or more.

I just think the cost of the power supplies to gain the extra 100 W for a rig in the house is a little high.
KD5RGJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 01:45:58 PM »

I LIKE THE TS 570. IT HAS HF + 6 AND AUTOTUNER...IT IS A GOOD ALL L ROUND RADIO. IT HAS A LOT OF FEATURES BUT I RUN IT WITHOUT THEM...A GOOD BASIC RADIO...NOT EXPENSIVE EITHER.
KD5RGJ
SPENCER HUDSON
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: