Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help installing Amerittron transformer(AL-572)to homebrew 4 x 5672b  (Read 3415 times)
N2EYE

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2013, 08:08:13 PM »

I am  having trouble connecting my new Ameritron AL-572transformer to my homebrew 4 x 572b amp project.

A while back Mike (KFOD) advised me to wire the Black and White and Brown and White (Primary side all) to the 120vac Neutral wire.  But then he wrote that I should also connect the Black and           White to the Hot 120 AC   input.

I am throughly confused.  I uploaded a scan of the transformer diagram Ameritron sent me with the unit.  It is somewhat helpful but beyond my skill level.    I will not be using the Buck Boost so those wires are taped off already.

Can anyone help determine which wire goes whereon this transformer?

Neil, n2eye
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:05:25 AM »

I answered your request on the amps reflector but I will do it again.  If you want to run the amp on typical line voltage  125v.  You will connect the black/white to the brown white.  Then connect the brown, black and orange together (all3) Then feed the AC line voltage to the black/white brown/white junction and then the other line to grey.

That sets the transformer up for 125v which is the way the factory sends it out.  If you want to run it on 240v let me know and I will figure that out for you but I think you want to run it on 125v.  Lou
N2EYE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:37:03 AM »

Thank you LOUforyourkindnessinRepolyingtomy question.

The only grey wire  is on the Buck Boost primary side of the  transformer.  Is that right?  I do not intend to use the Buck Boost windings. neil
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:00:05 AM »

The way the transformer is made is the major primaries  if connected alone is for 100v like for Japan.  So to adjust the primaries for the proper voltage you add windings from the buck boost windings.  So by connecting the black/brown junction to the orange winding you add the additional windings needed when fed by 125v.  Therefore you then feed the grey wire with one leg of the 125v feed.  If you go to manual at Ameritron.com for the Al-572 amp, you will see the chart for that amp for 125v.  if you transfer the wires to the schematic the way they tell you to connect the jumpers you will see that it works out the way I say.  Unless you needed to feed the transformer with only 90 or 100v you would only then not use any of the buck boost windings.  I suggest you check out what I have said and see if you agree.  But that is the way I see it.  I could be wrong but I don't think so.
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 12:04:52 AM »

Neil, you are going to get a General ticket before using your new super power amp! Yes?!
As it is now you allowed 200 watts max. on a Tech lisc.
KC8OJU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 10:50:29 AM »

Neil, you are going to get a General ticket before using your new super power amp! Yes?!
As it is now you allowed 200 watts max. on a Tech lisc.

Hey OM:
Just think any licensed amateur can use any frequency and any power in what situation? I know of one that is covered by the FCC rules.
73 OM
de n8zu
N2EYE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »

September 16, 2013

I was greatly disappointed by the mean spirited Hams  who       have no life besides attacking new Hams trying to understand ‘Good Amateur Radio custom and Engineering.”   

I     Enjoy listening  and as I prepare for my General ticket.  I live in NYC where I can readily compare the AM signals from 7.290 and those on 11 meters. They both come in with a similar peak signal levels  but the 40 meter rag-chewers have little swing to their AM carrier.  The11 meter operators have almost 100%  swing with horrible  audio.

I want my future Amp to sound like the 40meter operators:   A clear, steady carrier with as  narrow a band-width as AM permits.  That I chose to listen to both good and bad operators gave me a good lesson on being  good HAM. Also, a proper goal to pursue.

The thoughtless   ridicule that followed y inquiry   wass disgusting    You should POST  your ridicule  for the YOU TUBE 16 pill competition Amp    crwo   You did a disservice to the E-Ham.net community.

E-ham.net is place for people to learn about HAM    I merely sought a true ELMER,  of  which you are not.  Listen before you   Transmit and it will make you a better Ham.   That was my strategy for deciding between a solid state Amp and a proper triode based amp.

I  still have CW privileges from my  83 KA2tus license. Lets not be so quick  to lump me in with the  no code Tech licensee’s.

A Ham’s proficiency at internet research does not make a Good Ham Operator.  The internet has taken honesty away from Amateur  Radio. Before      internet when an Operator  said he was    from Spain —absent a an FCC   Call Book –it was  good faith, Gospel Truth.

I  merely asked for an Elmer’s help on building my own amp (an increasingly  forgotten art). YET, the internet-prolific Hammer’s found both opportunity and reason  to launch ridicule at me. My  purported fault at having the nerve to build my own amp that I will grow into (License-wise), is  so trivial it is pathetic.  Sounds like jealously.     From those who cannot build  their own yourcomnents read like  jealously.     Perhaps you are a great Internet Operator but I question your Ham Radio ethics and ability. 

Licensed   as ka2tus in ‘83; Neil Hutchins,  n2eye
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: