Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is the icom 718 a good choice for a new ham ?  (Read 27072 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2014, 03:34:15 PM »

Forget the 718. Look for a good used FT450D or AT.

If $100 makes or breaks your radio purchase, save your money, get your finances in order, and be patient.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »

Get an Icom 7200.
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 08:52:16 AM »

I just went back and read this whole thread from a critical standpoint. Two things jump out to me.

The first being the 718. Seems like some people can only bad mouth others equipment for whatever reason. I personally bought a new 718 and it is a great all-around fun rig that is not too complicated. I look at ham radios like I look at cars. The more crap you add, the more crap that will break. When was the last time your hand-crank car window burned out the electric motor?

The second thing that hit me was the total contempt for CB radio. Yeah I chuckle at all the names people use to illustrate their lack of knowledge about CB. Yeah they have their losers, but you can scan any ham band and find a bunch of them there as well.

Not to drag this into a Ham VS CB debate. So buy a radio that suits you. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a good servicable radio.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 06:11:18 PM »

I just went back and read this whole thread from a critical standpoint. Two things jump out to me.

The first being the 718. Seems like some people can only bad mouth others equipment for whatever reason. I personally bought a new 718 and it is a great all-around fun rig that is not too complicated. I look at ham radios like I look at cars. The more crap you add, the more crap that will break. When was the last time your hand-crank car window burned out the electric motor?

The second thing that hit me was the total contempt for CB radio. Yeah I chuckle at all the names people use to illustrate their lack of knowledge about CB. Yeah they have their losers, but you can scan any ham band and find a bunch of them there as well.

Not to drag this into a Ham VS CB debate. So buy a radio that suits you. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a good servicable radio.
  Agree on that 718!  Lots of bang for the buck.  And I wonder what percentage of today's hams actually started out on CB?
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: