Oh how I dreamed of owning a 7800
I would still love to own one but it's way out of my price league and they are getting a bit dated.
The older design was another reason why I went with a 7700. But according to the 7800 Yahoo Group, Icom will be upgrading the 7800's firmware with:
1. Waterfall screens for RF and AF (Audio Scope/FFT Scope/Oscilloscope)
2. Mouse operation for scopes, click to select the frequency (Use USB hub to connect both of the keyboard and mouse at the
same time) and other scope improvements
3. Remote control by RS-BA1 (new version) without radio-side PC. Shack side PC (user operation PC) is still required.
4. Voice recorder improvement (similar to ID-31/51, IC-7100 function)
5. USB flash drive compatibility (in addition to Compact Flash)
6. New APF function improvement (0-6dB six steps volume adjustment)
7. Transmit delay function (for linear amplifier)
8. Expansion of 7MHz band (EUR version)
9. One-hand operation for filter setting change
10. New CI-V command additions (quasi-power-On/Off, setting/reading current status of RIT/Delta TX Freq, RIT On/Off and
Delta TX On/Off)
That group is a good one to join if a used 7800 is more in your price range.