Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Is The Most Beautiful Radio Ever Made (In Your Opinion)?  (Read 232958 times)
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2014, 01:33:30 AM »

The manufacturer stop making the TX chips that made you sound like a robot on the Star Trek Enterprise!

They also designing the top cover with a non stick teflon lid so your eggs dont stick to the top cover while you frying them.

They also cant get the microphones that has the worst sound  in the world.

The IC7100 does not appear to have the above features. I wonder why they abandoned these features? Is it progress?

Yes, Icom has already stated that the 7000 is being discontinued.
I have no idea why they would drop one of their best sellers for a newer model that is never going to be as popular.  I think someone at Icom is just looking at the D-Star aspect and also the ability to cut production costs and therefore make more on each unit sold.  Given today's technology I would bet a 7100 is a lot cheaper to make than a 7000.  The D-Star chip is not expensive and monochrome touch screens are a dime a dozen and the big benefit for Icoms bottom line is that it cuts out a lot of knobs and buttons that are much more expensive and difficult to work with during manufacturing.
If you want a 7000 I suggest you buy one soon.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2014, 02:05:08 AM »

Zenki those problems can be fixed.  The popular upgrade to the mic fixes the audio issue and some thermal paste on the temp sensor keeps the fan running longer and keeps the chasi much cooler.

Once you spend $35 to fix those issues you have a rig with really good ergonomics and a solid attractive performer.  On the flip side nothing can fix ugly! You just got to learn to live with the 7100 design.
WA8QNN

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2014, 12:20:41 PM »

As one previous person commented it's gotta be the Hallicrafters SX-115 and HT-32B, also the Collins S-Line (late model) and for a newer rig the Yaesu FT-107
N2ADV

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »

Would you trade that 101E for a 101ZD?
They are both great looking but I personally give the ZD the edge.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:04:08 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
N2ADV

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2014, 07:14:16 AM »

Would you trade that 101E for a 101ZD?
They are both great looking but I personally give the ZD the edge.

I honestly wouldn't (personal preference) though the ZD IS a nice looking rig.  I like the single analog dial over the addition of the digital... maybe because of the whole "classic rig" thing.  

If I want digital, I'll switch to this:

(though I REALLY like the look of the rig I inherrited from my dad, a TS440S):

Although there's a part of me that really digs the look of my TS480 as well...

Come to think of it, I own all of the rigs that I find to be really nice looking lol

Wink
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2014, 05:49:43 AM »

Who can remember the Kenwood T599 and R599 twins? They were a beautiful matched pair that made made the FT101E and TS520S series look ugly.

Another good looking line up was the Kenwood TS820S with all its accessories on the desk.

I think the Telfunken E1800 was an especially good looking shortwave receiver.
The Ten Tec RX340 also has also got a good design esthetic. I dont know why TenTec cant produce a ham transceiver that looks as good as the RX340?

There is something about blue fluorescent  or OLED displays that work well for radio equipment. Kenwood has this color for their radios for years
I still have a Kenwood HC10 world clock for this reason. Its so soothing on the eyes..

The most ghastly looking radio with its horrible orange display is my K3!
F4GFT

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2014, 01:26:42 AM »

Yes, there definitely is something about fluorescent displays. Too bad less and less radios have them.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2014, 06:11:34 AM »

I still vote for the Kenwood TS-2000.  All the elan of an Italian sports car and ergonomically designed.
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2014, 10:43:03 AM »

If we are talking antique radios, how about an Atwater Kent model 5  Shocked

My Eyes my eyes  Cry Cry

Too bad they are not good performers.

I hear ya .Same comment applies to most of the Hallicrafters radios . The overpriced , some call it "pretty" SX-115 is totally underwhelming .

The lower priced , later variations of the SX-100 however are actually fine performing radios .

Ugliest , any SDR .  TV screens look horrible on radios . Undecided
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »

I hear ya .Same comment applies to most of the Hallicrafters radios . The overpriced , some call it "pretty" SX-115 is totally underwhelming .

The lower priced , later variations of the SX-100 however are actually fine performing radios .

Ugliest , any SDR .  TV screens look horrible on radios . Undecided

I agree, their is just something wrong with using a PC screen for a Ham Radio.  It's not my idea of what Ham Radio is all about!  Then again I look at PC screens for a good part of the day at work, so when I get home it's the last thing I want to see.
K4LJA

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »

You're all drunk -- or something.  The Ten Tec model 544 digital is likely the most attractive ham radio transceiver ever produced anywhere -- by anyone.  Disagree -- and I'll send you to your room!.. (Radio room .. of course)

Randy  K4LJA
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2014, 01:03:10 AM »

Well after a very long time, I finally got a "new" radio that meets what I required.

I did NOT want, a built in keyer, DSP, or low voltage finals, or what passes for QSK, menu's for Africa.

I did want, good TX performance, a nice sounding RX that had both a high and lower frequency filter set. Logical control set up.  Decent size, so I can reach and use one knob for one function. A good clear display.  An output for a pan adapter.

Anyway after dithering around the Kenwood, Elecraft, Ten Tec followers.  I finally saw my radio.

It arrived via son courier from Auckland, all 30lbs of it.

A FT102S, it looks really beautiful at night, that light blue display, the soft smell of the 3 output valves gently humming away.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »

Hmmm FT-102S I had never heard of it before.  It's a nice looking Rig.

ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2014, 01:09:14 AM »

Yep, its a bit of mean kit. 33lbs of it.  3 x 61646b in the PA, just ran the TX up on the bench last night, and had the dummy load really warm, so was pleased with that.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: