Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advantage of external keyer?  (Read 6677 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 06:33:06 AM »

Changing speed via a menu vs a knob is a choice Kenwood made presumably to save money or from an ergonomic standpoint... or both. On my Icom IC-7410 (which is only about $200 more than the TS-590S), it has a small stalk for setting CW speed and honestly, I rarely adjust the speed once it is set.

As far as rewiring a station from contest mode to casual mode, the only change I make is using HRD for casual operating or N1MM for contesting, but there are no changes to the wiring.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »

RE: N0IU statement

I have the IC-7410 xcvr; also want to use the built-in CW keyer.
How does it work for you ?  Because of my handicap, I can only go at 7-to-12wpm  Huh 

Also use Olivia, PSK & RTTY modes, for digital workings.

Ken, KC8Y
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »

At that speed, you should have no problem with the internal keyer. There are those who have reported issues with full break-in keying at much faster speeds, but I have not experienced them personally.

I wouldn't call it a handicap, but sometimes my arthritis acts up and if I want to got faster than the mid 20's, its just easier to use a keyboard for rag chewing. For contesting, I regularly use the 4 built-in CW memories.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 04:05:13 PM »

Thanks for your comment about the internal keyer Smiley

I'm also, in the process, of trying an external keyer for use (have a HamGadgets/MasterKeyer MK-1).

Have a rare form related to MS: tay sach desease, with progressive declination muscle atrophy & cellebella (sp)

Ken

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: