Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this possible??  (Read 8122 times)
AJ4RW

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:32:55 AM »

I really like Windows OS 7 that was upgraded from Windows Vista.  Windows 7 is easy to use and maneuver around and is very efficient for my needs.  I just purchased a new computer that has Windows 8 on it.  I don't like Windows 8, the apps make it too cumbersome for me.  I have the upgrade to Windows 7 disk so I was wondering if this is possible.  THe computer is a Gateway.

Can I take my Windows 7 upgrade disk and convert my computer that has Windows 8 back to Windows 7?

Thanks 73 Randy AJ7G
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »

That's a very complicated question.  The simple answer is Yes but with several caveats.
You can downgrade from Win8 to Win7 but you can only downgrade Win8 Pro with Win 7 Pro. I don't think you can down grade any other versions of Win8.  I also have serious doubts that you will be able to use a Win7 upgrade disk to do any form of downgrade, but I am not 100% certain of that.

My suggestion is to try upgrading to Win 8.1 and see if this link works out for you.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7

It should make your 8.1 look and feel like Win7.

If you really need win7 and don't want anything named Windows 8 on your PC then I suggest you buy a Win7 Pro version CD  which should be pretty cheap right now.  Then backup anything you need to keep and then reformat the drive and install Win7 Pro on it.

I am in the process of getting a Dell Laptop for my niece to use at university and I am ordering it with Win 7 because I think she is going to have too many problems with Win8 and compatibility issues with the schools systems.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 12:54:01 PM »

If you really need win7 and don't want anything named Windows 8 on your PC then I suggest you buy a Win7 Pro version CD which should be pretty cheap right now. Then backup anything you need to keep and then reformat the drive and install Win7 Pro on it.

I am not even sure your suggestion will work. I have a 100% legally paid for copy of XP. Back in the stone age, I bought a new desktop with Vista on it but I wanted to put XP on it instead. Of course Microsoft considers this to be a "downgrade" and strictly prohibits users from doing this!

Fine, so I did a full format of the hard drive and tried to load XP again. Same message. Now I could be wrong about this (and I probably am), but I believe there is something in the master boot record where the information about the version of the OS is written. In to "goode olde days", you used to  be able to an FDISK/MBR to wipe out the Master Boot Record, but apparently that is also off limits to mere mortals (even though I am sure it is possible).

The bottom line is that I gave up trying to "downgrade" and learned to live with Vista. And now I deathly afraid of upgrading to Windows7 because everything on my desktop works perfectly (if that isn't asking Murphy to intervene, I don't know what is!).
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 02:54:38 PM »

Thanks for the insight.  That was reason behind asking was if there were any hidden commands that would prevent downgrading.  The problem with Win 8 is I feel like I'm getting apps shoved down my throat and the fumbling around to get to where I want to go.  The computer i was referring to was my wife's and she's content with WIN 8 because she uses a computer mainly for games.  But now I'm looking at getting a computer for the club and if I get forced to buying one with Win 8 on it, do I have alternatives. 

I looked at "start8" and it looks like a great alternative but I need to do a little more investigating.  $4.99 is fairly cheap if it's a one time purchase but from the short investigation I believe that's a monthly fee.  Definitely not what I want.  My alternative is to hope I can find a new computer that still has Win 7 on it, everyone seems familiar with Win 7.  I try to avoid buying a used computer.

Thanks 73 Randy AJ7G
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 07:13:41 PM »

I really like Windows OS 7 that was upgraded from Windows Vista.  Windows 7 is easy to use and maneuver around and is very efficient for my needs.  I just purchased a new computer that has Windows 8 on it.  I don't like Windows 8, the apps make it too cumbersome for me.  I have the upgrade to Windows 7 disk so I was wondering if this is possible.  THe computer is a Gateway.

Can I take my Windows 7 upgrade disk and convert my computer that has Windows 8 back to Windows 7?

Thanks 73 Randy AJ7G

Bad idea, windows 8.1 will be out in a few month as a free upgrade to 8 and it addresses some of your concerns. It really is a better OS than 7 in potential

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 07:30:14 PM »

I really like Windows OS 7 that was upgraded from Windows Vista.  Windows 7 is easy to use and maneuver around and is very efficient for my needs.  I just purchased a new computer that has Windows 8 on it.  I don't like Windows 8, the apps make it too cumbersome for me.  I have the upgrade to Windows 7 disk so I was wondering if this is possible.  THe computer is a Gateway.

Thanks 73 Randy AJ7G
Well... there are two answers.

In terms of whether or not it can be done... maybe.  If both systems are Gateways.  If the Win 7 is a Gateway OEM disk.  If the Win 7 upgrade disk will run on a Win 8 machine, or (if you wide the hard drive clean) a "blank" drive.  If the Win 7 upgrade has a license key with it that will let it be run on another machine.  Or it doesn't require one.  If you can find the right Win 7 drivers for the newer machine.

For starters.

Now, in terms of your legal license from Microsoft:  Probably not.  You had a license for Vista on your old machine.  You purchased an "upgrade" Win 7 license, which applies only to that machine.  You do not own an additional license or a downgrade license for the new Win 8 machine.  So even if you can get the downgrade to work... legally, you can't do it.

Sorry.

Best option?  Find a Win 7 install disk on eBay, preferably with an unused license key, and reinstall a whole new OS on the new machine. 

Good luck.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 07:41:10 PM »

Best option?  Find a Win 7 install disk on eBay, preferably with an unused license key, and reinstall a whole new OS on the new machine. 

Good luck.

Best option wait for 8.1

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 10:07:15 PM »

Thanks for the insight.  That was reason behind asking was if there were any hidden commands that would prevent downgrading.  The problem with Win 8 is I feel like I'm getting apps shoved down my throat and the fumbling around to get to where I want to go.  The computer i was referring to was my wife's and she's content with WIN 8 because she uses a computer mainly for games.  But now I'm looking at getting a computer for the club and if I get forced to buying one with Win 8 on it, do I have alternatives. 

I looked at "start8" and it looks like a great alternative but I need to do a little more investigating.  $4.99 is fairly cheap if it's a one time purchase but from the short investigation I believe that's a monthly fee.  Definitely not what I want.  My alternative is to hope I can find a new computer that still has Win 7 on it, everyone seems familiar with Win 7.  I try to avoid buying a used computer.

Thanks 73 Randy AJ7G

Randy,

There is no need to downgrade the PC and I would try to avoid the hassle and extra cost if you can. 

Start8 has a onetime fee.  StartIsBack is another low-cost alternative.  Classic Shell is freeware and works quite well.  I converted from Windows 7 to 8 and selected StartIsBack because I like the look and feel and it only cost me a few dollars for a 3 PC license.  Any of those will work for you.  Windows 8.1 may still not give you the Windows 7 look and feel, so I'd start out by installing Classic Shell just because it is free.  Once you do, Windows 8 will look just like Windows 7.  W8 is a solid operating system.  You do not have to use an online ID with it and you can just ignore the W8 apps.

The only caution I suggest is to be sure to uninstall any of the start menu replacement apps before you try to install one of the other ones. 

Bob, K0BT
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 05:05:10 AM »

This microsoft nonsense about what can and can't be upgraded or downgraded is one of many reasons why so many of us like and prefer any of the various linux distributions.  Wink   It's not only BETTER than windows, it's free as well.

I do find it necessary to have one Windows machine around the house, unfortunately.  But linux is on the others.  And linux is better.  Smiley
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 05:27:08 AM »

It's a matter of acclimation for me, been using Windows OS since the early 90's while in college.  I purchased a registered copy of Win 7 a couple of years ago to set the record straight. 

Glad to hear there's no monthly fee but it's hard to believe the program is that cheap, wow.  I was talking to a geek friend of mine and he referred to the current version of Win 8 as something his kids like because they use the apps set up on their iPads and droids.  My lifestyle is geared towards basic phone use and computer use so I like the "start" button.  I think before I make any decisions about which way to go I'll wait and see what the Win 8 upgrade looks like.  My wife is still learning Win 8 but when I have to go and trouble shoot some minor problem, I wish I could find the "start" button hi hi.

73 Randy AJ7G
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 06:21:04 PM »

I have seen reviews of Win 8.1, also know as Windows Blue, and it will address a lot of your concerns. You must also remember that hardware is evolving as well and 8 exploits this. Myself I was at first skeptical about 8 but I am quite pleased with it now and do not really miss start menu.

KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 10:25:29 AM »

If you are missing the Windows 7 Start button, then go purchase a $5 program called Start8 by Stardock (they have a free trial too).  My clients universally hate the Windows 8 interface on PCs (works great on tablets), and I have deployed about 50 installs of Start8 on various Windows 8 computers this past year.

I'm not affiliated with Stardock.  Here's a link:  http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

The Windows 8.1 release coming out in October, does not really address the shortcomings of the Windows 8 UI on a PC.  They are bringing the Start Button back, but it currently just takes you to the same disjointed Windows 8 metro start screen.  I'm running Windows 8.1 preview release right now and using it daily.  While they did make some nice tweaks to the Start Screen, it still isn't a very efficient way to access programs.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 02:41:28 AM »

It is not inefficient but rather it is different. Some reject change but in this new era of tablets and smart phones the classic windows way of doing things is getting long in tooth and WIN 8 is MS's first serious attempt to bridge the gap and Metro is part of what is being used to bridge that gap. It is not perfect but it is getting better. You can try to fight change and stay with XP style interfaces or you can embrace change and run with it.

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 03:35:47 AM »

Why pay for Start8 when you can install Classic Shell for free?  http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

I like it much better that Start8.
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »

It is not inefficient but rather it is different. Some reject change but in this new era of tablets and smart phones the classic windows way of doing things is getting long in tooth and WIN 8 is MS's first serious attempt to bridge the gap and Metro is part of what is being used to bridge that gap. It is not perfect but it is getting better. You can try to fight change and stay with XP style interfaces or you can embrace change and run with it.

It is subjective.  I early-adopt on behalf of my clients, so I've been using the Windows 8 Start Screen for a lot longer than most people have.  I've been using the "improved" one in Windows 8.1 since the Preview Release dropped (I'm running 8.1 now).  I've give the start screen a very long time to grow on me on my several computers, but it really hasn't.  You don't have to take my word for it.  Most tech reviewers have had the same complaints.

The fact that many people hate the Win 8 Start Screen on their PCs is a design problem.  I've had a lot of feedback from my clients who have been struggling with it.  It's not just about resisting change.  No matter what anyone says about how the Start Screen in Windows 8 is "the future", that doesn't make it any more jolting and unfriendly to new users.  I know why Microsoft did it.  They need to merge their tablet, mobile and PC interfaces, and they want us all shopping in the Windows Store.  It works great on touch screens, but it generally sucks for many people on a mouse and keyboard.  I use it, and I'm quite fast with it, but I also use a myriad of interfaces, and after 20 years, nothing is all that daunting to me. Many Metro apps suck compared to their standard versions, such as Skype, but there are a few neat ones such as MetroTwit.

By the way, I saw plenty of backlash when Microsoft switched their programs over to the ribbon-style menu on apps like MS Office back when Office 2007 launched.  Many of my clients protested, but I told them to stick with it, because it does have some merit over the old text based menus.  Not as much merit as I think Microsoft believes, but it is better at some things.  I have no problem advising my clients to put up with new interfaces if they are good interfaces.  If not, I understand their complaints, and try to find a solution for them.

Overall it's a great operating system with some useful improvements over Windows 7.  The Start Screen is not one of them, at least as far as mouse and keyboard are concerned.  For business, I do not believe the touchscreen is going to replace the mouse and keyboard.  Until something magic happens with voice control, most people will be typing on a keyboard for a while to come.

Ultimately, I think Microsoft wants to get rid of the desktop as we know it today.  It will be interesting to see what Windows 9, 10 look like.  We should start hearing some early info on version 9 within the next year. I expect there will be gesture control in it, and I'm hoping better native voice control too, since that's the next rage in mobile hitting now.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:38:37 PM by JEEPESCAPE » Logged

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: