Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scammer using W1IIX  (Read 6498 times)
N8HM

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »

I posted a WTB for an Icom IC-R10 earlier today and a person identifying themselves as W1IIX replied that he had one for sale. When I asked for details, he cut and paste an ad for the same item on QRZ.com from 2003 and requested that I pay his agent via USPS Money Order at a UPS Store near W1IIX's home address in Waltham, MA.

Further research shows a listing under W1IIX's callsign on QTH.com as well.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 05:27:31 AM »

Any ad asking you to pay his 'agent' throws up a red flag for me right away.  Even some that wants to involve a 'friend' are worrysome.
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:21:05 PM »

Once again,  W1IIX does not have an email link on QRZ.COM
I have yet to see a scammer use a call sign that has an email link on QRZ. It's that easy to prevent a scammer using your call.

Dale W4OP
W8TFI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 07:06:57 PM »

I too have been contacted by a person that uses the call W1IIX, I am not sure if this is the same guy, but I did post a WTB a Heathkit SB-102 and he says he has one.  I am so glad you guys have this forum, this may have saved me some money and the problem with trying to get it back.
Again Thanks for everyone hard work.

Brian
W8TFI
K9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 12:22:42 AM »

Make that 4 of us.

He replied to my WTB for an FTM-350AR. Although he didn't request that I pay his agent.

Ronald A Salamy
2:00 AM (18 minutes ago)

to me

Hello Mate.

Yaesu FTM-350AR With Accessories for sale in mint condition like new Yaesu FTM-350AR lots of accessories. includes instructions, box and the following.

BH2A Bluetooth Headset Mono
BU1 Bluetooth Adapter Unit
CAB1 Headset Charger Sleeve
FGPS1 GPS Unit
FVS2 Voice Guide Unit

Asking 500.00 Shipped. I will accept USPS MO. what's your full shipping address.

Thanks

Christopher Coy <xxxxxxx@gmail.com>
2:12 AM (6 minutes ago)

to Ronald

Hello Ronald,

Do you happen to have pictures of  the unit you would like to sell? Also, do you have it listed on any of the ham radio websites?

And lastly, do you have any references from people who have purchased items from you before?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:24:44 AM by KF5WDS » Logged
W2YJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:18:16 PM »

I posted a want for an Icom IC PW-1 and W1IIX responded. I'm glad I read EHAMforum on this fellow that raised a red flag for me. No money left my warm clutched hands, hi. Smiley
KU1T

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 05:49:11 AM »

Let me add to the collection:
My add was WTB mkeyerII/MK2R+/StationMaster.

>>> from W1IIX@htomail...
I have MicroHam Keyer II and Station Master for sale in mint condition and work perfectly okay. E-mail back if you are still will to purchase them. I will be waiting to hear from you.

Thanks
<<<

Some red flags already: (broken language, but then mine is no good either - ESOL); incomplete signature, etc etc. So I replied:

Certainly. Please provide more details, including serial numbers - mkII went through some hardware revisions..

>>>
I HAVE MICROHAM DIGI KEYER II IN ORIGINAL BOX WITH SUPPLIED CD AND TWO CABLES ONE FOR THE IC-7800 AND ONE FOR THE TS-590/2000 ETC PLUS STATION MASTER. SN 1559. AM ASKING $300 PLUS SHIPPING TO YOU. WHAT'S YOUR FULL SHIPPING ADDRESS. I WILL ACCEPT USPS MO.

THANKS
<<<

All CAPS, price is way too low- $300 for mkeyer alone is a v.good deal. But then bells are ringing all the time..
So i replied pointing on mismatch in what I need..

Sorry, I do not need digi keyer, only either mkeyerII or MK2R+.

Still interested in Station master. When was it purchased ?

shipping to 2xxxx.

>>>
Okay, i will ship mkeyerII and Station master to you. it was purchased Dec 2012. I will ship for $300 to 25427. what;s your complete shipping address.
<<<

somehow magically digi keyer transormed to mkeyer. Danger Will Robinson, with the price in realm of magic..
Let's call the bluff.
 I replied:
---
I can pick it in person, I will be in your neighbourhood next week. Will need to test it in your shack first - what will be good time to visit you ?
---

and deep silence. No reply at all..

Looks like someone created an hotmail address with a call sign, and tries to scam from WTB ads.

vy 73, de KU1T
_zjt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: