Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3/8 x 24 stud mount replacement advice  (Read 3049 times)
DLITTLE

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2013, 05:31:07 AM »

Greetings
I have a Jeep antenna mount that utilizes a 3/8 x 24 connector. There aren't a whole of lot of antenna options for this type of mount. Optimum,y, I would like to have a mobile antenna of no longer than 32" because of my carport height
Looking for ideas that would allow a Pl-259 connector.

Any help, for this new ham, would be appreciated.

Thanks
Doug
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 07:21:17 AM »

Doug, you didn't mention what bands you're interested in.  I've got three 3/8x24 mounts on my car; one at bumper level has a Hustler mobile with quick disconnects for different resonators, one has a 6-meter antenna, and one at the roofline has a dual-band 2m/440 antenna.  Is any of those the sort of thing you're interested in?
DLITTLE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:49:49 AM »

Sorry, I did forget the bands
2m primarily and 440 as other

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 05:18:44 AM »

Ah, 2/440 makes it easy!  We had a big thread about this last year, I think.  Lots of people swear by NMO mounts but (as I said) I like 3/8x24, partly because they're simple to use, modify, and maintain,  and partly because using only one type of mount simplifies things.  (Like, having a 3/8x24 tap and die is VERY handy to have on hand.)

So for 2m/440 I'm using a simple quarterwave from Buxcomm--price was so good I ordered two of 'em, and also two plain 2m versions for a few bucks less.

http://www.packetradio.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=839&zenid=drdict02umr23v3jn7k24d84q5

This works great, IMO.  In the car with my 706 set at 30% power, I can use a 440 repeater 25 miles away easily.  You'll get lots of other suggestions, Doug, but this one is inexpensive (especially since you already have the 3/8x24 mount) and it seems to work very well, at least for me.  GL 73!  --ken
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »

Doug, one other thing that I should have mentioned earlier:  lots of people swear you MUST have a 19/32nds-wave (or whatever) loaded whip to communicate from your car.  I've had 5/8th waves for 2m and never noticed any really significant difference between them and quarter-waves, in overall performance.  There are just a bunch of other variables affecting how solid your mobile signal is.  But the big advantage (IMO) to a quarter-wave like the Buxcomm one I sent the link to, is that it's short enough to go on your car's roofline and still fit into most garages and other low clearances.  Being up above the rest of the car adds a lot of performance, even if it IS shorter than a 5/8ths.  

One other BTW:  if you like homebrewing antennas, and it IS a world of fun, when I first put a 440 antenna on my car, I just made a dualbander with 2m and 440:  I used a piece of brass rod to make two quarterwave verticals, one for 2m (19") and one a bit over 6", joined at the bottom in a simple 3/8" loop.  A 3/8x24 bolt about 1/2" held the two vertical antenna elements in the mount, basically giving me two quarterwaves, close together.  It was ugly as can be, but both bands worked great, and it cost me less than a buck and a few minutes of my time.  Smiley  I just ordered the Buxcomm one (I think it was $8 when I ordered them) because it looked nicer and it was too inexpensive to turn down.

Again, GL, 73, and this forum is always glad to provide advice!  (Sometimes too MUCH advice, but that's another story!)  Wink  73  --ken
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:11:17 PM by AC4RD » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: