Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSO Party RTTY  (Read 6015 times)
WH7DX

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »

Had a few contacts on RTTY from about 8:00-9:00am local time (8am is 1200Z) with the West Coast.   No one returned my CQ for the few minutes I CQ'd.   Kinda tough being out in the Pacific and limited to 100W while everyone else has a 2400 mile headstart...  Grin   

Bands shut down now until later this afternoon.   I'll come back after my daughters baseball game and get on around 5pm local time for the 3 hours left in this short contest.   That should be fun and much better conditions.

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »

But you're surrounded by water.  Should give your signal a great boost.

73 Randy AJ7G
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 12:19:35 AM »

From what I know.... Salt Water is better than dirt, but a bounce is a bounce and each bounce is bad.

Had fun.  I don't like the hours.  Right when it's getting good it's done.  But you can't please everyone.  I'd like to see 24 hours so we can get into some good night prop.  I could have gotten up at 2am to work East Coast sunrise but then my day would have been shot.  I'll take coaching 7-8 year old baseball and winning in the bottom of the 7th, down one anyway.  Grin

Conditions from 5 until 7pm were good on 20m, then switched to 40m but not quite enough yet before it was done at 8pm.   Still some sunset disturbance.   Doesn't get good until about 8:30pm+ this time of your year for me on 40m.

East coast with 100w and clear RTTY surprised me from 5-7pm.  Shows the interference from north pole.  I figured it would be a stuggle but it wasn't.  It was easier then 700w coming out from my send and up to limit in Europe on north path.   My first RTTY U.S. Contest and it was encouraging. Now I can't wait to crank up the amp.  Lots of activity.   Usually its JA and Europe when CQ'ing.  Now I KNOW that a real U.S. RTTY is going to be a lot of fun.

P.S.  had processor on whole time.  Something up somewhere and I don't need to deal with it.  It's working fine so who cares etc.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 03:17:30 AM »

I enjoy RTTY contest over any of the modes.  The DMC contest started earlier and lasted longer so I opted for it.  I didn't feel like doing 2 contest so stayed away from the NAQP test.  Surprisingly JA's were coming in great early in the am which is always a pleasant surprise, especially being I was expecting EU.   Prop condxs weren't great yesterday but like always, had a terrific time.

73 Randy AJ7G
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 06:16:12 AM »

I was playing in the DMC contest, just having a little fun, when I started hearing NAQP RTTY contacts.  So I wound up playing in BOTH of them for a bit. Smiley  It was nice to hear that much RTTY activity!
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 06:28:35 AM »

My first RTTY U.S. Contest and it was encouraging.
Be sure to put the weekend of January 4-5, 2014 on your calendar. That is the ARRL RTTY Roundup. It is similar to the NAQP, but it is worldwide! If you enjoyed the NAQP, you will be addicted to RTTY contesting for sure after the Roundup!

I am only ONE stinking lousy rotten confirmation away from getting DXCC Digital and can't wait for the next RTTY contest!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:37:20 AM by N0IU » Logged
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »

My first RTTY U.S. Contest and it was encouraging.
Be sure to put the weekend of January 4-5, 2014 on your calendar. That is the ARRL RTTY Roundup. It is similar to the NAQP, but it is worldwide! If you enjoyed the NAQP, you will be addicted to RTTY contesting for sure after the Roundup!

I am only ONE stinking lousy rotten confirmation away from getting DXCC Digital and can't wait for the next RTTY contest!

Yes, I just got into RTTY a few months back.  Missed the Contests.   Looking forward to the next big one.   It's relaxing and interesting to watch the waves and picking out signals.  Next time I might get up early and work more in the early AM.   The confirmation rate is about 90%  Grin

An International RTTY with full power must be a blast!

Bryan
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 06:33:28 PM »

September 28 and 29 is the CQ WW DX RTTY contest, wow.  You'll be sorting through the pile up with the WH7 call and it even gets better in the spring with the CQ WPX RTTY contest.  Hope I get to put you in the log on multiple bands for those contest.

73 Randy AJ7G
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »

I enjoy RTTY contest over any of the modes.  The DMC contest started earlier and lasted longer so I opted for it.  I didn't feel like doing 2 contest so stayed away from the NAQP test.  Surprisingly JA's were coming in great early in the am which is always a pleasant surprise, especially being I was expecting EU.   Prop condxs weren't great yesterday but like always, had a terrific time.

Late Saturday afternoon here on the East Coast, JA's were coming in real loud in RTTY on 15M. Many were doing both DMC and NAQP. Hearing JA that loud is a bit unusual, but just a month or so ago we had the All Asian and conditions on 15M were just amazingly good then too.

Earlier Saturday, as I was setting up for NAQP RTTY, I got YB4IR on 20M RTTY in the DMC test, and he was louder than heck.

Folks like to complain about 10M not being open, but 15M to Asia has just been so so good lately. I mean, that's a reliable path, but it has been just been spectacularly good on several important contest weekends especially in the afternoon.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 10:24:29 PM »

September 28 and 29 is the CQ WW DX RTTY contest, wow.  You'll be sorting through the pile up with the WH7 call and it even gets better in the spring with the CQ WPX RTTY contest.  Hope I get to put you in the log on multiple bands for those contest.

73 Randy AJ7G

Sounds good Randy! 

The one thing about RTTY is.. Some times the signal is so weak and distorted by North Path disturbance you can't get a pattern on the call sign after trying with.. Call Sign 5 times.. A few times and they're reading you fine and you just want to let them know what's going on!  Sometimes if I finally get them, I'll explain!  Feel bad etc.   I think the mountain near near let's the signal out but pulling it in is harder??  You never know.

That's why this last contest was a pleasant surprise!  Nice clear signals and not a lot of repeats even with east coast and 100w.   

I only had 29 contacts for the couple hours on and CQing didn't pull much so it was hunting but I enjoyed each one.   Not many in HI doing RTTY etc.

I have a calendar with all the good contests and DX.   Looking forward to it.

Great hobby.   
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »

... as I was setting up for NAQP RTTY, I got YB4IR on 20M RTTY in the DMC test, and he was louder than heck.  ... Folks like to complain about 10M not being open, but 15M to Asia has just been so so good lately. I mean, that's a reliable path, but it has been just been spectacularly good on several important contest weekends especially in the afternoon.

I think a lot of the people complaining about the high bands being dead just look at the cluster or tune across the higher bands looking for S9 signals;  the people who actually TRY on the high bands aren't complaining because there IS some DX to be worked there if you look for it. Wink   I got YB4IR on 15m during the contest--a pleasant surprise, and I didn't have Indonesia on RTTY before, to boot.  Smiley  The fun is definitely out there!

One of the things I have come to enjoy about contesting is that the bands have SO MUCH activity during the contests!  Great fun!
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 10:07:17 AM »

One of the things I have come to enjoy about contesting is that the bands have SO MUCH activity during the contests!  Great fun!

Yeah, I can see why so many people on the forums HATE contesting! If it wasn't for contesting, there would still be blank spaces on the wall of my shack where my DXCC and WAS certificates now hang.
N6DZR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 04:15:06 PM »

Had a few contacts on RTTY from about 8:00-9:00am local time (8am is 1200Z) with the West Coast.   No one returned my CQ for the few minutes I CQ'd.   Kinda tough being out in the Pacific and limited to 100W while everyone else has a 2400 mile headstart...  Grin   

Bands shut down now until later this afternoon.   I'll come back after my daughters baseball game and get on around 5pm local time for the 3 hours left in this short contest.   That should be fun and much better conditions.

I logged you at about 03:47. If I remember right you called me and I heard you OK on the back of my beam. You were my only HI mult, so thanks!

-Jeff
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 10:47:11 PM »

I logged you at about 03:47. If I remember right you called me and I heard you OK on the back of my beam. You were my only HI mult, so thanks!

-Jeff

Roger,

I have you at 3:43   14.087  which is 5:43pm my time.   I only heard 2 other KH6 stations - both hunting and not much, like me, but probably even less.

Glad to help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: