Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just bought a 100' tower . . .  (Read 3937 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »

My 20/15M Moxon will go up from 50' to 70' - at least.

I'll post a "photo story" on my blog soon. I pick this tower up on Tuesday . . .

Stay tuned,

Rich
KY6R
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »

You going to be able to sleep at night until you get to use it?   Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »

You going to be able to sleep at night until you get to use it?   Grin

I will be picking 24 sections of military Kevlar 4.5" interlocking tubing - used by the military for their large dish antennas. The seller is one of the original designers of the KLM line of antennas. Just meeting him in person will be a blast.

My twin brother - in Livermore, CA - who owns a very high end CAD/CNC machining shop is designing and building a custom "launcher" - that works in tandem with my AB-952 military mast system. The AB-952 will be sort of like a 50' gin pole for the 70' Kevlar tower.

Photos and the story will pop up on my blog later this week.

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 08:00:42 PM »

Your neighbors will be truly amazed at just how fast you could deploy a 70' tower Shocked

Will this set the record for the world's highest moxon yagi?

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 08:07:34 PM »

No - there is a guy who has a modified  40M Moxon up much higher out in Oakley, CA. I forget - but he is a famous contester.......

Rich
KY6R
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »

Here's the best part - $300 . . .
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 09:20:36 PM »

While I've worked a ton of DX with low antennas, I've also used high antennas--they work really, really well.  Have fun!

Zack W1VT
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »

I noticed you are selling a C3S.  Was it a good antenna overall?

John AF5CC
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 06:26:39 AM »

I noticed you are selling a C3S.  Was it a good antenna overall?

John AF5CC

I never got to try it. Its at my Brother in laws house, and he couldn't ship it to me - so someone who lives near Spokane or Coeur d'Alene will get a killer deal - as long as they use a pop riveter  Grin.

For a very short while (less than a year) I did have a Force-12 C2SS - the shortened boom version, and that was a very decent little antenna. I had to move and sell everything at that time (2006). Long story . . .
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 02:17:52 PM »

I noticed you are selling a C3S.  Was it a good antenna overall?

John AF5CC

I never got to try it. Its at my Brother in laws house, and he couldn't ship it to me - so someone who lives near Spokane or Coeur d'Alene will get a killer deal - as long as they use a pop riveter  Grin.

For a very short while (less than a year) I did have a Force-12 C2SS - the shortened boom version, and that was a very decent little antenna. I had to move and sell everything at that time (2006). Long story . . .

Do you mean the C3SS?  I had one at the S.C. QTH, up around 50', and it played well. (Still not a lot better than the little wire vertical is doing here.. hihi)

The test for my little vertical will be the Bangladesh guys. I have been unable to even HEAR Bangladesh, from Here OR the S.C. QTH, even with my little "antenna garden" I had there. (Wire, 6BTV vertical, delta loop & the C3SS on the tower)
73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:20:08 PM by AF3Y » Logged
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 11:41:34 PM »

I'm just trying to picture 100' of 4.5" mast. I see lots of guy lines, and a tricky erection on a dead calm day.
I use a 40' telescopic aluminIum mast on top of an 8' wooden pole. On top of that is another 20' of Al tubing with capacity hat wires on top that join to rope guys. This I can manage to raise and lower myself, quite easily now, after the guys are in place and the right length - on a calm day.
I am familiar with the military mast (AB-610?) used with the AN/MRC-127 radio relay gear from my days in a field force unit in the 80's. These went up about 30' with a grid type reflector for the UHF antenna.
Good luck with your new mast. I will be interested in the process of erection.
I've just purchased a two-stage, crank-up/tilt-over tower. It will be about 50', free standing, plus whatever mast I put up above it. I'm not much interested in going much above 60' free standing, nor a guyed tower. Have also purchased a 2 el 40 m yagi, and plan to build the 2 el 30 m yagi described in August QST.
This new tower will be around 60' from the 160 m vertical. Is there a specific distance I should avoid placing the tower from the vertical antenna?
Luke VK3HJ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 03:15:52 AM »

I'm just trying to picture 100' of 4.5" mast. I see lots of guy lines, and a tricky erection on a dead calm day.
I use a 40' telescopic aluminIum mast on top of an 8' wooden pole. On top of that is another 20' of Al tubing with capacity hat wires on top that join to rope guys. This I can manage to raise and lower myself, quite easily now, after the guys are in place and the right length - on a calm day.
I am familiar with the military mast (AB-610?) used with the AN/MRC-127 radio relay gear from my days in a field force unit in the 80's. These went up about 30' with a grid type reflector for the UHF antenna.
Good luck with your new mast. I will be interested in the process of erection.
I've just purchased a two-stage, crank-up/tilt-over tower. It will be about 50', free standing, plus whatever mast I put up above it. I'm not much interested in going much above 60' free standing, nor a guyed tower. Have also purchased a 2 el 40 m yagi, and plan to build the 2 el 30 m yagi described in August QST.
This new tower will be around 60' from the 160 m vertical. Is there a specific distance I should avoid placing the tower from the vertical antenna?
Luke VK3HJ

Yes - there will be some engineering to do for sure. My 20/17M Moxon is up 55' on an AB-952 military mast system, and it has its own "launcher" - so I can go straight up adding 5' mast sections from the base. The sections are double walled aluminum that interlock and are 4" o.d. I built my own "floating guy rings" using "closet flanges" (toilet flange), They work great. My Moxon is featherweight - made of 5 Cabelas Crappie Poles, a small aluminum plate and custom spreader to hub hardware that I built myself. Even my current chokes are home brewed.

These new sections do not have a launcher, and there is no way I will go 100' with them. I have a lot of thinking to do - I could easily use two at 50' each, one maybe at 70' - lots of possibilities. I enjoy the challenge of solving "problems" like this. I especially like fabricating my own antenna parts. Building a launching system is a real challenge, but a fun one.

As far as "proximity affect" and spacing distance, Tom, N6BT - in his "Array of Light" book on page 51 says that a vertical and horizontal antenna usually won't cause much of a problem - and that there is a 20 dB difference, but watch out for antennas that are of the same polarity where they are separated about 1/4 wl away from each other.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 04:07:00 AM by KY6R » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 06:00:45 PM »

Question on antenna spacing. I read somewhere that a vertical antenna needs a one wavelength distance from a tower. I don't have a vertical for the low bands.  How important is the spacing between a vertical antenna to a tower?

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: