Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buried Cable  (Read 504 times)
N4BAM

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »

I'm new; just pass my tech and have a couple questions in setting up my antenna.

I have a mast mounted Cushcraft R9 with a 9' copper grounding rod at the base.  My antenna is about 28' away from my bulkhead which also has a 9' grounding rod. I have 2" copper strap running from inside of the house to the 12"x12" copper bulkhead, attached at several places then down to the grounding rod and attached via brass clamp.

I plan on connecting the 2 grounding rods with 3/8" soft copper buried about 4" to 6" deep.  Each end will be connected with brass clamps to the copper tubing.

My questions:

1) Can I run my coax in the same trench as the grounding copper tubing ( the cable is rated for burial)?  If not how far apart should they be?

2)  I have a decent lightening arrestor on the bulkhead and was wondering if I should put another at the base of the mast?  If I do will it affect the performance or is it overkill?

If I add the second lightening arrestor at the mast then I will have two pieces of cables running from the antenna verses one piece of cable from the antenna to the bulk head.  

The guy wires will be 3/16" wire (3 lines at 3 different height's)  to the mast then rope guying on the antenna itself leading down to water pipe buried and cemented in the ground.  I live near Tampa about 3 miles from the Gulf of Mexico so I expect plenty of storms, tropical storms and hurricanes.

3) As a side note the back of my RV (fifth wheel, so the front end is on steel masts sitting on the ground which I'm assuming is partially grounding the RV) is about 4' from the antenna mast so do I need any additional precautions?  My yard is small so I don't have a lot of room; I may be able to move the RV further away (maybe 2 more feet) if the neighbors don't complain.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.  ~ Gunner aka KK4SKX

Best Regards,

1SG Terry "Gunner" Peterson, USA (Ret.)
OIF 2003

Best, Regards,

1SG Terry "Gunner" Peterson Jr. USA (Ret)
OIF  2003
KK4SKX
N8BOA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:10:10 AM »

Well if the ground strap is "Ground" then bury the cable in the ground......It won't make a bit of deference, not too many take the time to bond the tower to the house its a good idea and adds to the ground. There is no performance gain by ground at VHF frequencies .  Also the 2nd arrestor is Ok too. Make sure you un-hook you RV before you take off
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: