Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L.A. area HAM shops??  (Read 5424 times)
KD2E

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »

Might be planning a trip soon to Torrance, Ca.
Anyone know of ham-interest shopping in the area?
Twist my arm enough, and I may schedule a second day there.

Thanks for any knowledge!!

.......Dave
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »

Ham Radio Outlet in Anaheim.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »

also HRO in Burbank, though IIRC Burbank's a small store.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 08:22:48 PM »

Also Jun's / Ham City in Culver City.
I live closest to HRO Anaheim, and am totally thrilled with their service and selection.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:08:21 AM »

Definitely HRO-Anaheim. 91 Freeway to Euclid, and south about a mile. On the right/west side of the street - you will pass a Norm's ... and will see their roof-mounted antennas!

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KD2E

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 09:31:07 AM »

What is "Norm's" ?
Is HRO Anaheim bigger than HRO Burbank?

Any other "must-see" stops?
I'll be near Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Fisherman's Wharf, Hollywood Park.....that area.
Of course, the ham stuff comes first...but I will have a day to kill to go anywhere.

....Dave
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »

As long as you are going to be in the South Bay area, go to The Queen Mary in Long Beach. The Associated Radio Amateurs of Long Beach have a really nice set up with 10 operating positions in what used to be the original radio room of the Queen Mary. If there is someone there, bring your license and you can operate W6RO. I did!

http://www.qrz.com/db/W6RO

http://www.mpicomputers.com/ham/queen/

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 11:31:29 AM »

I've used HRO in Anaheim a few times. Very good. But .....the XYL went in there to get something for me and announced her husband had sent her. They asked 'Do you know your husband's call sign?' Her response was 'Why? Won't mine do?'......And yes, hers was more than adequate!
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 01:32:18 PM »

Also Jun's / Ham City in Culver City.
I live closest to HRO Anaheim, and am totally thrilled with their service and selection.

Juns used to be pretty good although I have not dealt with them in years.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »

Jun's is now "Ham City," but it's still a good place.

HRO Anaheim or Burbank are fine.  If you'll be in Torrance, you're a bit closer to Anaheim.

A visit to guest operate at W6RO on the Queen Mary is a great idea, and that's quite close to Torrance.

If you'll be in town on the last Saturday of any month (this month that would be the 26th, in August it's the 31st, etc), the TRW Swap Meet in Redondo Beach is a good place to visit.  It's only 3 minutes from the 405 freeway and also close to Torrance.  If you do that, go very early.  It opens at 7 AM and anything "good" is usually gone by 8 AM.  Some good stuff disappears even before it opens, as the sellers waiting in line to get in sell stuff from their cars/trucks/vans (allowed).  I'd recommend getting there by 6:30.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 07:09:47 AM »

Not strictly a ham radio shop (and not as "good" as it used to be, from what I've been told) but Fry's electronics should be a stop as well, at least if you've never been to one. I'm not familiar with any specific location in the LA basin, but the store in Las Vegas is a must-stop when I'm out that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: