Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Regal microphone to yeasu modular 857 d  (Read 1260 times)
N1QZQ

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:05:29 PM »

Does anyone know what cable I would us with tentec regal microphone to yeasu modular 857d
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »

TenTec does not appear to have one with an RJ45 connector. You would probably have to make up your own cable or buy the Yaesu cable with the usual 8 pin connector and make an adapter to the modular connector. It is not hard to do if you use a piece of CAT5 cable with the connector already on it.
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »

Don't know what connector the mic has on it but you should check out Heil's CC-Y1 cable.  It has the RJ connector for the 857/897 and a "Y" takeoff for a PTT external foot/hand switch on the transceiver end.  The mic end is a 4 pin XLR connector, but it can be modified much easier than trying crimp a 8 pin connector on the transceiver end.  Yes you can make your own cable using a data cable but it won't as nice and the audio signal won't be shielded.

I have an 857 and an 897 and I think they are fine radios, but ... I have no idea why Yaesu chose to use the modular connectors for the mics.  I hate working with them, but it is what it is.

Good luck with your project.

Tom/AE5QB
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »

Ten Tec does offer a Regal to Yaesu 8 pin cable, then you would attach a Yaesu 8 pin to RJ45 adapter cable. All told, about $50 worth of cabling.

Or, buy a 4 pin XLR and use a piece of Belden Star Quad (24ga conductors) or 9451D (22 ga conductors) and a shielded RJ45 jack (not necessary, but they are a bit sturdier) and a RJ45 boot.

If you go with the 9451D or similar, you could then even break the PTT pair out to an inline plug and jack or a breakout box for plugging in a a footswitch or handheld PTT button.

Or buy the Heil as Tom suggested. You could use shielded data cable, but mostly that is fairly stiff and unwieldy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: