Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dacron rope guys are loose again after high winds  (Read 3557 times)
AF5FH

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2013, 09:10:31 AM »

My Dacron rope guys that are supporting my roof mounted Hy-Gain AV-640 keep getting loose after high winds. I have tightened them several different times over past 8 months. And then we have high winds, and they are loose again. We had a storm yesterday (which provided badly needed rain), and they are drooping again.

I am using three STI 3/16" UV-resistant Dacron weave ropes, attached to antenna at fourteen feet up. I put a stainless steel hose clamp around antenna at fourteen foot point, wrapped rope around hose clamp and fastened with three half hitches. At the ends of the roof, the Dacron rope is passed through stainless steel eye bolts, and fastened with three half hitches. There is lots of excess rope, which I loop up and fasten to the eye bolt. The knots are tight at each end, but the ropes are drooping after we have high winds.

Any ideas how I can make this better? The ropes still do some good when they are drooping, but the antenna whips around more in high winds when the ropes are loose. So I keep untying the roof end and tightening the ropes when they get loose.

Jim, AF5FH
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 09:24:21 AM »

I use taut-line hitches so that initial regular tightening is easy and eventually they stop stretching so much. Stretching is normal at first.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:03:04 AM »

http://www.hamcq.com/

high serria has some nifty rope tensioners
AF5FH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:16:01 AM »

Thanks for suggestions!

I use taut-line hitches so that initial regular tightening is easy and eventually they stop stretching so much. Stretching is normal at first.

I have re-done roof end attachments and am using taut-line hitches.

http://www.hamcq.com/

high sierra has some nifty rope tensioners

Which one do you prefer, the Mini Winch http://www.hamcq.com/winch-ratcheting-winchratchetingsmall.html or the Slip Knot http://www.hamcq.com/tight-rope-antenna-rope-tightener-slipnot.html

Jim, AF5FH
AA9G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 03:14:29 PM »

That (I strongly believe exact) slip knot tensioner is sold at Lowes in the rope and chain aisle.

Ex KC9EEV.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »

0.17" Phillistran will not stretch.
KC8RPD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 05:33:37 PM »

I suspect that the hose clamp attachment at the antenna is slipping.  Dacron does not strech much, particularly compared to nylon.  If you are looking for better rope construction than 3 strand twist or single braid, consider parallel core double braid.  An example would be New England Ropes' Sta-SetX.

Good luck
Rich
KC9VZB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »

google spiderbeem antenna. they show how to tie a knot that won't slip.I have a tiller that I use line left over from my dipole to pull the pulley tight and slowly line goes loose,slipping threw knots.I haven't biult the spiderbeem yet.
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 06:50:33 PM »

That (I strongly believe exact) slip knot tensioner is sold at Lowes in the rope and chain aisle.

Also at Ace Hardware, but you may need to show a salesperson a photo of one in order to find them
AF5FH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 11:09:07 PM »

Thanks for information about slip knot tensioner being available at Lowes and Ace Hardware. I am watching to see what happens the next time we have high winds here. The taut-line hitches I tied this morning were easy to adjust and make the guy ropes tight, so I will probably stay with them if they don't slip during the next storm.

Jim, AF5FH
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 08:49:03 AM »

or learn how to tie a  truckers hitch.
K9PAC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 07:10:10 AM »

I guess I'm old school, but I prefer knots and hitches to mechanical devices.  Looking over the posts, so do others and they've named them already.

K9PAC

Be the change you want to see...begin at work.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 06:07:54 AM »

A bowline will not slip.

Another alternative could be to use ballast to keep the guy ropes under tension. Something like a bleach bottle filled with sand on each line.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 06:31:17 AM »

I suspect that the hose clamp attachment at the antenna is slipping...

I would also suspect this is adding to your problems.  A hose clamp isn't a good attachment point.  One gentleman that I helped once used those, and the first heavy windstorm that came around did in his mast installation.  Those clamps just slid right down the pipes.

I would suggest getting one or more guy rings with a clamps that are specifically made for such use or a clamp arrangement that uses three 1/3 diameter straps and three eye bolts with hex nuts.  Since guy rings are usually stamped steel, use heavy S type hooks to attach the dacron ropes to it.  If you get the eye bolt type, you can tie directly to those.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: