Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ CQ - Mixed Morse Code  (Read 6822 times)
WA2ONH

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2013, 04:55:25 AM »

Found this interesting page for your entertainment....

LINK: http://www.datagenetics.com/blog/march42012/index.html

Enjoy!

73 de WA2ONH   ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 05:59:21 AM »

Interesting  Huh
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 09:33:22 AM »

From the blog:

I was curious to find out just how many sloppy ambiguous Morse words there are in the English language.

It turns out there are quite a lot more than I thought! In fact, there are so many that I’ve made a separate results page for all the 25,787 ambiguous words. This is made of 10,330 distinct Morse strings. The highest frequency ambiguous Morse word has 13 possible donor words.

Someone needs a life!
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:17:05 AM »

The most common runtogethers I hear are callsign prefixes. Is dit-dit-dt-dah-dit a VE or SN? Many hams do a particularly poor job of sending their own call, maybe they are bored of sending it the correct way? I think its similar to how hams on phone like to invent cutesy nonstandard phonetics for their own call.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 06:47:57 AM »

Speaking of Non-Standard Phonetics, I generally make it my personal mission to answer the CQ calls of those Kilo Watt #abc's with KW*###??? It always throws them dumbstruck, I love it!
In otherwords, "here, I'm answering your call in precisely the wrong way you just sent it", QSL?
AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:35:07 AM »

I can say after working CW about 95% of the time for almost 60 years, (year short of that & 4 years of that in the military service as an op) I have discovered that having a call sign that ends in a dit or one that has like a B and 6 after it is difficult for most CW ops to copy in contests. Sorry not the fist, those CQs are sent out with an automatic keyer. One of my ex calls was WB6GBR. Terrible in contests. If someone answers my CQ and accidently missed a letter or number that is fine I will slow down for them. If someone comes back abusing my call I don't respond. This is my hobby, I love to copy CW, somehow I don't see humor in abusing anyones call. JMHO because I am old and grumpy.  Grin
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »

On SSB alternative phonetics are useful, particularly when accents and band conditions get in the way. I know Lima, Echo and Papa give quite a few folk trouble. That said, Kilowatt isn't the best of alternatives, but then Kilo generally cuts through better than some.

CW, on the other hand, doesn't need phonetics, but characters with multiple trailing dits are high in my list of ones often mis-read...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: