Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TM-V71A F key doesn't work - help?  (Read 869 times)
K5CMR

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »

New/inexperienced ham, technician license. Not had any equipment 'til now. A friend whose ham grandfather just passed away returned by air from the funeral and gave me a Kenwood TM-V71A that had belonged to his granddad. It rode in the cargo hold of the airplane packed in his luggage.

It was just the box and mic, no power cable, no manual, no nothing else. From the outside it looks to be in good condition. I bought a power supply, power cable and antenna as advised by the staff at the local amateur radio supply. Wishing now I hadn't spent the money because I can't get this thing to work.

I got it hooked up with the antenna and power supply ok and it turns on, but that's about it. I downloaded the manual from Kenwood, and have gone through it for several hours now. The only things that work on this radio are the power button, the display, audio, and the BAND SEL volume/squelch knobs. Tuning knob doesn't work nor do any of the function buttons. And yes, the keylock icon is showing in the display, but since the F key doesn't work I can't turn it off. Also can't reset using the troubleshooting advice in the manual for the same reasons: F key doesn't work, so I can't reset either by key, nor access Menu or any other functions.

So is this thing just toast, or is there something I can do? I'm a bit sick about the money I already spent on the power supply, etc. and not really wanting to spend money on service for something I got for free. Can anybody help, or should I just trash it?
K5CMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »

Found the answer myself, in case anyone else ever runs across this issue. Somewhere in the manual (and I can't even find it again now) it said to turn off the power, then hold down the "Tone" key while powering back up. Did so, and the lock was gone! I'm in business now. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:14:15 PM by K5CMR » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »

CMR:  Congratulations!!  For two things.  1 - Solving your problem and 2 - Reading the manual!

An old SK ham friend of mine once told me that it was "un-American" to read the manual.  I've since found this to be pretty much true. 

K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 05:56:06 AM »

In the computer science world, we always say either RTFM or LMGTFY.

As far as the F key, take the mic apart and scrub the Coca Cola out of it. Watch out for the Jesus springs on the PTT when you open it.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 05:39:48 AM »

Reminds me of the story about the guy who got a new rig and went through the trouble of installing the body remotely with the detachable head in the passenger compartment.  With everything done, he went to make final connections to use it--and found that the mike didn't have a plug-in on the remote head.  So he went and removed the unit and remounted it under his dash, got everything together and tried setting it up.  

Seems he didn't understand the menu system, so he went and got the bag with the paperwork and manuals--and found the remote mike connector cord in that bag!

Moral:  ALWAYS look at the manual FIRST!   Shocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: