Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-590 On Low Bands - Your experience  (Read 1205 times)
N7RST

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2013, 07:45:19 AM »

Hope I am not duplicating anything, but haven't found any info on this.
What are you users of the TS_590 impression from using the 590 on the low bands (i.e. 160/80) as to digging out weak ones, dealing with the inherent noise issues, etc.

Appreciate hearing your comments...
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:45:45 AM »

It is no better or worse than any other radio for noise. The NR helps on CW but not a lot on voice. However when it is really quiet with little QRN I had no problem working a ZL4 from the UK who was S0 on the meter on SSB. It is as good as my TS480 in this respect which has one of the quietest receivers I've come across.

The SELECTIVITY is a lot better than most others though which is especially noticeable on 80m which can get a bit crowded.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:51:22 AM by M6GOM » Logged
K0GGC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:20:52 AM »

The TS-590 is a great radio.

Personally I think the DSP NR is the best on the market. It is much better than the DSP NR in my Icom 7000.

I use DSP NR 2 for voice and it is a tremendous help. In many cases is helps to pull out signals that would be impossible to hear without the NR.
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »

I have heard the 590 (like others) has a power overshoot problem, but I have read that version 1.07 from kenwood fixes that, and other places, a hardware remedy is needed and V1.07 won't fix the problem.  Anyone have any real info on this?  Is this particular to menu settings, serial number production runs, etc/?
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 11:08:49 AM »

I have heard the 590 (like others) has a power overshoot problem, but I have read that version 1.07 from kenwood fixes that, and other places, a hardware remedy is needed and V1.07 won't fix the problem.  Anyone have any real info on this?  Is this particular to menu settings, serial number production runs, etc/?
I fail to see how this relates to the original post - might I suggest a new thread to manage your unrelated issues with this rig?

I have a TS-590S and have found that it has some good features when it comes to noise reduction on the low bands.  I'd really like to let it stretch its legs in the wintertime, though, to get a better feel for its capabilities.  But the earlier poster is correct - based on my observations, this unsung rig is absolutely outstanding at features that enhance its selectivity in crowded band conditions! 

My primary prior rig had been the Kenwood TS-440S, now rather long in the tooth but still very effective at making contacts!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: