Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upper or Lower for PSK31 ?  (Read 4745 times)
K0XY

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »

...I'm confused, by band (80~10m), is upper or lower preferred for PSK31 Huh? thanx Ron K0XY
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 12:06:29 PM »

Usually USB all bands for PSK.
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:54:44 AM »

...thank you  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »

With a few exceptions, most all digital is on USB.  Some RTTY when using external boxes are LSB, and some APRS packet stations are also LSB, but those tend to be the exception rather than the rule.  PSK31 is always USB in my 13 years on the mode.

Jeremy N1ZZZ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:00:55 AM »

Just a little further explanation. When you feed audio tones into a LSB transmitter, the mark/space polarity of the tones gets inverted. When you feed the tones into a USB transmitter the polarity is not inverted. The BPSK form (the most common) of PSK31 doesn't care what the polarity of the signal is therefore you can copy stations regardless of whether LSB or USB is used. The only problem is that the PSK31 signal frequency changes in relation to the VFO dial reading on the radio. For that reason, USB has been selected as the standard for PSK31 so that everyone's dial frequency and waterfall read the same in order to avoid confusion in setting frequencies.

Years ago the standard for RTTY was selected as LSB so that the audio polarity was always reversed. With RTTY the polarity must be correct in order to copy the signal. So long as everyone uses the same standard it doesn't matter. Because most of the newer digital modes use USB as the standard, many of the sound card software programmers decided to invert the RTTY audio tones from the original standard so that users could leave their transceivers in USB in order to work all modes, including RTTY. That permits you to switch from mode to mode on the software without having to remember to change the USB/LSB mode on the transceiver.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »

Great explanation AA4PB.  I'm programmed to think LSB with RTTY but as long as the marks, spaces, and shifts are aligned doesn't matter.  And that can all be done with software now.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 01:55:43 PM »

In regards to AA4PB's explanation of PSK, I'm greatful Smiley

Ken

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: