Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a PA  (Read 2549 times)
KC9MOS

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2013, 07:02:47 AM »

Hi
I am a fairly new ham looking for a 500 watt PA.
I wonder if anyone has an AMP not being used.
Having little money, I can pay only $100 max.
Ben, KC9MOS
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:50:30 AM »

The reason no one has replied is you are not going to find a working used HF amplifier capable of 500 watts for under $100.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:17:23 AM »

Ben:  Unrealistic expectation.  A 500W amp can't be homebrewed for $100, unless you have an incredible junkbox.

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »

I myself would pass by a $100 sweep tube amp at the hamfest, unless there were some really oversized parts inside to tempt me.

$300-$500 will be the ballpark for a working 3 or 4 hole 811A amp.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:34:42 AM »

Concentrate on improving your antenna system.  If you can only spend $100 you have no business looking at an amp.

KC9MOS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »

I send SWL 2002 the following reply:

Thanks for your reply.
Check out my home page http://qrz.com/db/kc9mos and see the antenna I just made.
Talking about improving my antenna system.
I did not like the wording: "you have no business"...
You could have put that more nicely. But then again English is my second language maybe I just didn't understand how kind you were.
Besides that, I do believe it to be my 'business' to ask for an amp for 100 $. There are still people in the world that understand that not everybody is blessed with $$$

Ben

******************************************************************************************

Like I said, there are still hams out there that have a heart for a newbie not having big bucks.
Imagine that.
Ben
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 02:59:09 PM »

Realistically, Ben, you are most unlikely to get a 500 watt amplifier for under $100 - although you could POSSIBLY find an altruistic ham. IF you scout around hamfests and scrounge at the local club, you MAY well be able to get enough bits after a time to build one. Otherwise, all you are likely to get is a beat up CB amp which is more of a manure spreader than a useable amplifier.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 04:00:34 PM »

I send SWL 2002 the following reply:

Thanks for your reply.
Check out my home page http://qrz.com/db/kc9mos and see the antenna I just made.
Talking about improving my antenna system.
I did not like the wording: "you have no business"...
You could have put that more nicely. But then again English is my second language maybe I just didn't understand how kind you were.
Besides that, I do believe it to be my 'business' to ask for an amp for 100 $. There are still people in the world that understand that not everybody is blessed with $$$

Ben

******************************************************************************************

Like I said, there are still hams out there that have a heart for a newbie not having big bucks.
Imagine that.
Ben

"Blessed" has nothing to do with it.  Maybe your priorities are out of order?  You need food, water, and shelter, you don't "need" some chump to give you an amp.

BTW, this forum is not the place for WTB ads.
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »

You may WANT a 500 watt amp but based on your shack photos, you are fairly well equipped as you are
Remember that more transmitter power won't help you receive any better and you can't work what you can't hear.   
With a reasonably decent antenna, 100 watts, favorable band conditions and a good measure of PATIENCE, you can work the world, enjoy the experience and develop some serious operator skills. 
If you really insist on 500 watts, save up your money and buy an Ameritron 811 or 811H, avoid the "CB" amplifiers.

WB2EOD
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 09:41:48 PM »

I guess it was a sin then to sell my working B & W kilowatt amp for $75. Or is it that too many are stuck on the old wives tale that all amps should be at least a buck a watt? Were my priorities screwed up too? Seems I didn't miss a meal, lose my home, or have my water shut off for selling at that price. Neither did the person I sold it to.

Some people actually sell stuff for what it is realistically worth, not the over inflated preconceived price that too many buy and sell at. I refuse to buy and sell at those inflated prices. Give other people a break if they want to do the same thing.

Hang in there Ben, deals will show up when you least expect them. Smiley
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 03:25:45 AM »

I guess it was a sin then to sell my working B & W kilowatt amp for $75. Or is it that too many are stuck on the old wives tale that all amps should be at least a buck a watt? Were my priorities screwed up too? Seems I didn't miss a meal, lose my home, or have my water shut off for selling at that price. Neither did the person I sold it to.

Some people actually sell stuff for what it is realistically worth, not the over inflated preconceived price that too many buy and sell at. I refuse to buy and sell at those inflated prices. Give other people a break if they want to do the same thing.

Hang in there Ben, deals will show up when you least expect them. Smiley

$75 fifty years ago is not $75 in today's money.  Any which way, this forum is not a wanted-to-buy forum and asking someone to sell you an amp for $100 is not appropriate here.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 04:05:56 AM »

LOL, it was last fall, not 50 years ago. Next time get the facts before you spout off. I was only 2 years old 50 years ago. Hardly in a position to have collected, operated, and then sold the amp! A quick check on QRZ.com and you would have seen my call is a vanity call. It is hard for my vanity call to be issued to me 50 years ago since there was no vanity call program yet. And my original call was issued in the mid 80's. Also not 50 years ago.

And it does not matter about asking. People ask for different things all over the forum boards. Why is this post any different? Instead of whining on this board about what is asked, send in a comment to the moderators and let them be the judge. It is their job to decide, not yours.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 05:20:55 AM »

LOL, it was last fall, not 50 years ago. Next time get the facts before you spout off. I was only 2 years old 50 years ago. Hardly in a position to have collected, operated, and then sold the amp! A quick check on QRZ.com and you would have seen my call is a vanity call. It is hard for my vanity call to be issued to me 50 years ago since there was no vanity call program yet. And my original call was issued in the mid 80's. Also not 50 years ago.

And it does not matter about asking. People ask for different things all over the forum boards. Why is this post any different? Instead of whining on this board about what is asked, send in a comment to the moderators and let them be the judge. It is their job to decide, not yours.

How about getting the stick out of your behind and realizing I was making a joke! Sheesh...
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 08:36:57 AM »

MOS:  I take back my post!  Keep on trolling buddy.  I've just learned that it's possible to snag onto something for nothing.....all you have to have is the stones to ask!  Good luck.

P.S. If you do luck out, please post it here.  I just might try the same thing!!
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »

I have saved $200 and am looking for a Alpha Amp I want a 77-DX only  Grin.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: