Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX Engineering, my favorite  (Read 4029 times)
KE5J

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:36:36 AM »

I've been hamming since 1966. Got my novice ticket during a high school electronics class. I've collected a lot of ham gear over the years and have ordered many times from ham stores all over the USA. I must say that DX Engineering is the best of the best. DXE in my opinion has the best ham store Website on the Internet. It's very easy to navigate and it takes hardly any time at all to find what I'm looking for. The majority of the items they have for sale are described in detail. Who ever handles their shipping does an outstanding job. Packages from DXE are usually the most secure of any I've ever received from a ham radio store. Sometime today I'm expecting from DXE a new AL-811H amp along with a few related accessories. I'm sure they will arrive in excellent shape. Keep it up DX Engineering because you're doing the right thing.

Bruce Schulze KE5J
N3CFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 06:56:32 AM »

DX Engineering is one of my favorites too! I especially like the fact that they stock, for immediate shipment, all kinds of unique hardware and tools -- must-have "stuff" for the custom antenna projects I am continually working on.

I'm also thankful that DXE, and its many business peers (HRO, Gigaparts, et al) are also doing well in a business niche that has not been all that lucrative. For many years, ham radio stores were dying left and right, but now there seems to be a bit of a resurgance. Maybe it's because of the growth in the ham ranks in recent years? I'm not a business analyst, but I am a ham who likes to shop to add to my enjoyment of my hobby, and it's really nice to see the business side rebounding. And it's not just stores selling radios and accessories -- it's also stores selling US-made parts and gadgets, such as DXE. Long live innovation and the entrepreneurial spirit!

The DXE website is good, but I've had problems searching on it occasionally -- apparently, web searching functions are as much an art as a science, so maybe this will improve over time. The catalog is great -- it's free, very attractive,  and somewhat easier for me to use than their website. I generally peruse that first.

Now, this is just my opinion (no flames please) but I was very disappointed when I made my first visit to the DXE storefront in Tallmadge, Ohio a week or so back. It was highlighted in recent episodes of Ham Nation and looked quite nice. In truth, the DXE storefront is just a 12' x 16' kiosk within a huge Summit Racing retail store -- only select items are on display, almost all are locked in glass cabinets, and none are ready to demo. The store is unmanned, but apparently you can summon someone to come out to answer questions. Mainly, the store is just a nice display for a few items with a computer terminal handy to place orders. Upside -- if you want something, you can "order" it and it will quickly appear at the pickup counter to take home with you. Downside -- no playing and testing and comparing radios in on-the-air settings, you can't see everything in the catalog, and interaction with the staff is available but less than I expected. Maybe the DXE storefront will grow as they do, but for now, it's just not worth the trip unless you happen to be in the area. I'll stick to my catalog and website for my DXE shopping for now.

Good luck to you, though, DXE, and thanks for supporting our hobby with some cool stuff!

Larry
N3CFK
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 06:07:35 AM »

I believe that DX was most likely the result of someone at Summit being a ham and seeing an opportunity.  That's meant in a positive way, because Summit does a ton of shipping, which I'm sure gets DX a break in shipping costs and enables them to offer low prices and free shipping on sales over $100.  I live in Michigan and ordered my base tower section from them on a Friday and Fedex delivered it on Saturday.  That was incredible!  I'm sure if they had more walk in traffic, the floor space would increase, and perhaps a dedicated salesperson would be added, but I doubt that will ever happen as the demise of electronic/ham stores in general has pointed out. So count our blessing that DX exists at all and offers such great internet service.
WA2ASB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »

I've dealt with HRO for years, but their web-site can't compare to DX Engineering. 

I've found better prices on somethings elsewhere, but when the cost is the same, I usually go with DX Engineering. 

I know this is thread drift, but since it was mentioned that they ship via Fedex, I have ordered somethings from Amazon recently that are also shipped free, but by UPS drop to the USPS and then delivered by the USPS mailman.  What is funny is that I get an e-mail from UPS telling me that if I give them an extra $3.50 they will deliver it vs having the USPS deliver it.  Now if the mailman delivers it, it will be here by noon, but with UPS it will generally be after 6pm.  So for just $3.50 I can get the package 6 hours later.

I think DX Engineering has it right - FEDEX. Grin
KA5IVR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 06:50:13 PM »

On a recent trip to the NE, I found myself passing right by the DXE store and Summit Racing on the interstate.  I stopped and what a treat for about an hour wandering around inside.  Seems like a odd combination of businesses, but it works for me and probably a ton of other Hams out there who are car guys.
W5RHR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 03:42:02 PM »

I am more than happy to share my positive experiences with  other hams  concerning DX Engineering!!

Your company has become my sole source for cabling and connectivity, station accessories, Linear power amplifiers , and antenna systems.

Great , friendly, knowledgeable telephone support, an wide array of choices, competitive prices, and quick shipping!!!

Your web site has a wealth of technical information, and the product descriptions have ample specs to help me make a decision.

I love my DX-Engineering experience!  I proudly  wear my DX Engineering T Shirt to every ham club meeting and ham-fest I attend , and when some one asks who is DX Engineering I tell them all the great stuff about you (because, truthfully, I dont have any negative experiences to relate)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: