Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HARBOR FREIGHT  (Read 22151 times)
WB4AUW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 04:22:11 PM »

Has anyone had experience with Harbor Freight generators? They look pretty decent physically and seem to have an ok review in Consumer Reports.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 10:10:47 PM »

Like everything else--from anywhere--if you get a good one, (it doesn't break down from bad parts/construction in the beginning) and they're broken in right and treated with care, they will last--at least a little while.  Are they as good as a Honda?  No. But, if you abuse a Honda, it's going to eventually let go too.
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 01:32:26 PM »

Has anyone had experience with Harbor Freight generators? They look pretty decent physically and seem to have an ok review in Consumer Reports.

Bought their $89 generator during summer 2012. Used it at some local hamfests to power up stuff on the table for actual demos. When hurricane Sandy came through here, and we lost power for a week, I used it every day (roughly 5 hours) to power up the secondary refrigerator, charging up the cell phones, and a few other small wattage things. Best $89 I ever spent. Easy to carry with one hand and doesn't take up much space.

Pete, wa2cwa
http://www.manualman.com
W4XK

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »

Personally, I like their weekly freebies! I've picked up three of their digital multimeters for $0.00 each.
I compared them to a couple of Flukes that I have, and they were very, very close on several voltage
and resistance measurements. I'm not implying that the Flukes are NIST traceable or anything like that
but the similar measurements impressed me. I keep one in the van, one in the hamshack, and one on
the workbench. Free is good!

Bill, W4XK
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »

Every Cen-Tech coupon DMM comes with a calibration that is traceable to the NIST.............. Nanping Institute of Standards and Technology.

Never change a password on a Friday                
KE5TJT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 05:11:09 PM »

I've had great luck with HF stuff. I bought their 1/2" air impact wrench. That thing got great reviews on the website and even was reviewed by someone who bought a name brand impact wrench costing 6 times as much and said this one is tougher with more torque and has outlasted the more expensive one. I was visiting my father and he asked if I could use it to loosen some stuck lugs on the front tires of his backhoe. He came to me panting and sweating and cursing saying "I doubt that thing will be able to get these off but you can try." I got my impact wrench, got the correct size impact socket (also harbor freight) and set it to max torque in reverse. I squeezed the trigger and 3 seconds later I had a lug in my hand asking him where he wanted me to put them. He just looked at me, still panting and said, "How in the hell did you do that? I've been fighting those lugs for an hour and I couldn't get a single one to budge." Well, I sure did! =) Within a minute I had all 5 or 6 of them off and the tire was off and the rim was being sanded for a repaint.

I just broke off one of their 3/8" extensions tightening lugnuts on a car. At about 90ftlbs it gave. I needed to go to 100. More my fault than the extensions.

I've also purchased their 139 dollar black 3 piece toolbox that's now like 159 with a coupon. Not a roller bearing box but surely plenty for my needs. Lots of storage and all 3 parts are lockable.

I have their torque wrenches for 1/4 and 3/8" drives. I haven't tried these out yet.

I bought a hammer from them, as good as any hammer I've ever bought from Lowe's.

I've had too many free flashlights from them to count. Always check before leaving store to make sure they work. All have. Bright little pocket light.

I bought some extendable shears from them. They were a beast. I have since misplaced them though.

I have their free screwdriver set as my main set for my house. I've beat on them with hammers to pry apart things and they keep on ticking.

I have a reversible extendable handle 1/4-3/8 ratchet. I've abused the hell out of that thing and it's smoother than my Craftsman tools.

I have their wrench set from baby needle nose to large wrench. I have issues with this set rusting and the largest wrench not holding. This is one tool set I won't buy again.

I have an air wrench from them. It said it wasn't designed to break tight bolts so the first time I tried using it to loosen stuck mower blade bolts I made the mistake of not holding it tightly not thinking it would really do anything. Dang thing slammed my hand against the inside of my mower deck, tearing up 3 fingers in the process. This thing has every bit of the advertised 50 ft lbs of torque.

Overall, for the money, I'd say most HF stuff is fine.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:17:42 PM by KE5TJT » Logged
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2014, 03:40:11 AM »

I recently purchased their 1 ton shop crane for the sole purpose of removing a new US Tower MA40 from the truck. Well the truck is on the road and I'll be testing out the crane this week. It was only $99 with one of their super coupons. It arrived in two very heavy boxes, went together easily, no missing parts, and certainly appears to be well up to the task at hand.

Mike K2MK
KE5TJT

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 12:34:40 PM »

I recently purchased their 1 ton shop crane for the sole purpose of removing a new US Tower MA40 from the truck. Well the truck is on the road and I'll be testing out the crane this week. It was only $99 with one of their super coupons. It arrived in two very heavy boxes, went together easily, no missing parts, and certainly appears to be well up to the task at hand.

Mike K2MK

If you makes you feel any better, their shop cranes are the same ones sold by the Torin company. Just painted a different color.
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 01:01:40 PM »

Actually the Harbor Freight 1 ton crane looks exactly like the 2 ton Torin crane. The 1 ton Torin crane looks lighter duty.

And coincidentally my MA40 arrived today on a flatbed. The crane was invaluable. The MARB base unit weighs about 100 pounds and it was easily lifted off the flatbed and lowered onto my lawn cart for removal to the backyard. We then picked up the 20 foot long 230 pound mast in the center and pushed the entire crane with the mast supported up the driveway and deposited the mast on the grass/snow at the edge of the driveway. The crane was an excellent investment.

Mike K2MK
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:04:28 PM by K2MK » Logged
KE5TJT

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 05:08:55 AM »

Actually the Harbor Freight 1 ton crane looks exactly like the 2 ton Torin crane. The 1 ton Torin crane looks lighter duty.

And coincidentally my MA40 arrived today on a flatbed. The crane was invaluable. The MARB base unit weighs about 100 pounds and it was easily lifted off the flatbed and lowered onto my lawn cart for removal to the backyard. We then picked up the 20 foot long 230 pound mast in the center and pushed the entire crane with the mast supported up the driveway and deposited the mast on the grass/snow at the edge of the driveway. The crane was an excellent investment.

Mike K2MK

My father purchased the 2 ton crane for 139 back a few years ago with a coupon. He used it to hoist the engine out of his Allmand backhoe to clean and repair the backhoe and engine. It absolutely made the job easy, debate-ably downright fun. We felt like we could go on a show like "Trucks!" or something with those cool tools. And it folds up!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: