Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Authoring Articles for CQ Magazine?  (Read 65566 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »

author=K6LCS link=topic=91319.msg692985#msg692985 date=1376425961]
>> ... They broke an agreement. And that is the bottom line. Nothing else matters.

An "attorney" reply - and entirely correct.

Another crock. Nothing attorney about it. You are saying that misleading someone and lying is perfectly OK.

But when the day comes that I even think of DEMANDING to be paid for writing an article or
making a presentation for the betterment of the amateur radio hobby is the day I'll hang it up
and shut down the radios.

That is one of the most moronic things I have ever heard. First off, these people are not to be paid because this is something you would do for free? What crazy logic is that? As someone else mentioned, if my company stopped paying me, and then someone said they would do my job for free. That makes it OK?

Let's get the facts straight. There is no "demanding" here. They were told they would be paid. They agreed. They held their side of the agreement. There is absolutely nothing demanding about it.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 02:22:42 PM »

>> ... $39 for an annual subscription?

I only pay $26/annually for digital edition subscription. But this has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, really.

It has as much to do with the thread as you saying they should be doing it voluntarily because it is ham radio. You are so out of line. Listen to yourself. You basically told these people that they should do it for free because it is ham radio, and that they are "demanding" payment.

If I did not know better, you are either friends/related to the crook who calls himself the editor.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 06:51:38 AM »

>> ... You basically told these people that they should do it for free because it is ham radio ...

YES! You got it! You read my messages. When I was approached a couple times by CQ Magazine to
write articles and submit photographs, I didn't even think to ask for an honorarium nor payment -
the first question out of my keyboard was always, "What's your deadline?" - because I was involved
in furthering the enjoyment of AMATEUR RADIO.

I recognize and respect fellow hams as those who use designated radio frequency spectra for purposes
of private recreation, non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training,
and emergency communication. The term "amateur" is used to specify persons interested in radio
technique solely with a personal aim and without direct pecuniary interest ...

We'll probably never agree on this. I still see this as a magnificent hobby, and and proud of my
contributions (Web sites, published articles, appearances on Ham Nation podcast, orchestrating a
wildly-successful ARISS contact in my community, NASA/ARISS school support for North America,
73+ presentations on working the satellites, et al). I just have never thought of making my amateur
radio "career" a money-maker. Others would rather be compensated for their contributions to the hobby.

And so it goes ...

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »

>> ... You basically told these people that they should do it for free because it is ham radio ...

YES! You got it! You read my messages. When I was approached a couple times by CQ Magazine to
write articles and submit photographs, I didn't even think to ask for an honorarium nor payment -
the first question out of my keyboard was always, "What's your deadline?" - because I was involved
in furthering the enjoyment of AMATEUR RADIO.

I recognize and respect fellow hams as those who use designated radio frequency spectra for purposes
of private recreation, non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training,
and emergency communication. The term "amateur" is used to specify persons interested in radio
technique solely with a personal aim and without direct pecuniary interest ...

We'll probably never agree on this. I still see this as a magnificent hobby, and and proud of my
contributions (Web sites, published articles, appearances on Ham Nation podcast, orchestrating a
wildly-successful ARISS contact in my community, NASA/ARISS school support for North America,
73+ presentations on working the satellites, et al). I just have never thought of making my amateur
radio "career" a money-maker. Others would rather be compensated for their contributions to the hobby.

And so it goes ...

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

I agree with you to an extent. That's why I give away troubleshooting tips and help. I call it giving back to the hobby although my business is ham radio repair.

BUT, if an agreement was reached regarding payment then not followed thru by the editor that's wrong. If they don't want to pay for the article then don't publish it.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »

>> ... I give away troubleshooting tips and help ... my business is ham radio repair ...

I am SURE you've "given away" an awful lot of tips and advice and tricks ... things that
you might have been able to charge for ...

>> ... BUT, if an agreement was reached regarding payment then not followed thru by the editor that's wrong ...

Absolutely no argument there. Got a contract - even a handshake - then honor it, darn it.

But I get the feeling from you (and I may be wrong) that if you were in this position, you'd handle it
a little differently. Like maybe contacting the firm every 60 or 90 days or so. (Complaints that this
particular firm is unavailable by phone or email is ridiculous - I just received an answer to an email inquiry
within a couple hours).

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
NOT a stockholder of the CQ Publications Group

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »

It boggles my mind that anyone should be expected to work for free because it "benefits" ham radio.  These aren't volunteer positions. If someone is promised payment, they should expect to see payment within a reasonable time period, and not this:

I know of at least 5 other folks, besides myself, who are owed money by this publication. The publisher will not return telephone calls, etc.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:32:22 PM by K1ZJH » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 05:02:55 AM »

There is something to be said for both sides of the argument here.  Yes, amateur radio is a hobby, and most of those who look at it that way don't mind giving out free advice and writing articles to benefit other hams.  That is what motivates submissions for this site, and for other ham radio publication venues as well.

Those submitting an article with the expectation of payment without a written agreement in hand concerning such payment shouldn't expect anything, however, since even though the magazine says it would pay it has no obligation to do so.  Bottom line--if you submit blindly, don't expect to get payment--even if the venue says it will pay xx dollars for submitted articles.  The only way you could have a leg to stand on in expecting and getting payment is if you copyright your material beforehand.

In the end, the magazine is only hurting itself, since it is very unlikely that authors who submitted in good faith and didn't get paid would submit anything to that magazine again--or even subscribe or renew their subscription again.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:04:57 AM by K1CJS » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 05:46:10 AM »

Let's get one thing straight. This myth that everything in ham radio is volunteer or for the good of the hobby, is horseshit.

I volunteered at 4 radio clubs for over 4 years. Other volunteered for ARES/RACES, Skywarn, etc. Other than those and some other groups, most of it is a business like anything else. Go to a hamfest. You have for-profit vendors. You have hams trying to sell equipment and at the least, not lost money. Many are flipping radios for a quick buck. Then you have the hearse chasers buying estates and flipping.

The ARRL charges you for awards, even if you are a paying member (and I do not have a problem with that). There are several retail vendors. There are repair techs.

The vast majority of it is for profit. And CQ is no better. They are for profit.

And let's not get into written agreement here. One of the people I know was paid for the first 2 articles. That pretty much says there was an agreement. And when 4 or 5 different unrelated people say they were screwed, chances are, they were screwed. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 06:37:51 PM »

...And let's not get into written agreement here. One of the people I know was paid for the first 2 articles. That pretty much says there was an agreement. And when 4 or 5 different unrelated people say they were screwed, chances are, they were screwed. 

Agreed.  But why not get into any agreement that is down on paper?  That is the only guaranteed way to get paid.  For all we know, the magazine only pays for the articles that they think are worthwhile, and that is probably why some get paid--and some get screwed!
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 07:28:54 PM »

>> ... This myth that everything in ham radio is volunteer or for the good of the hobby, is horse [fecal matter] ...

I have re-read every word of this thread - and no one here has stated such. Don't know what you're over-reacting to.

You volunteered for four years in the hobby, you wrote. That is admirable. Bet ya didn't ask for an hourly wage
for all that volunteerism. Can't you stretch that volunteerism quality a little to include authorship of a DIY article?

What is missing here is, of course, what is going on at the magazine in question. Heck, if the economy was great and
all their advertisers paid ahead of time and their printer costs never increased and subscription numbers increased and
the threat of going entirely online and losing print subscriptions was a threat - then this thread might not have ever
existed. But we do not know what's going on.

Clint Bradford

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 07:30:25 PM »

...And let's not get into written agreement here. One of the people I know was paid for the first 2 articles. That pretty much says there was an agreement. And when 4 or 5 different unrelated people say they were screwed, chances are, they were screwed. 

Agreed.  But why not get into any agreement that is down on paper?  That is the only guaranteed way to get paid.  For all we know, the magazine only pays for the articles that they think are worthwhile, and that is probably why some get paid--and some get screwed!

Kim Basinger broke an oral agreement on the movie Boxing Helena in 1993. The studio sued her for breech of contract, and she lost big time. Force her into bankruptcy.

You can google it. No written agreement.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 05:08:06 AM »

She was under contract to that studio already.  That argument won't hold water.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 05:20:10 AM »

She was under contract to that studio already.  That argument won't hold water.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/kim-basingers-contract-case-overturned-on-appeal-1450700.html

"The breach-of-contract award came in March 1993 after a jury decided that Ms Basinger had broken an oral agreement to appear in Boxing Helena, only four weeks before shooting was due to begin."

Oveturned "'prejudicially ambiguous' instructions to the jury, by not making it clear whether Ms Basinger or her production company would be liable for the damages, which were awarded to Main Line Pictures"

She settled for over 3 million. It was not overturned on the basis of oral contract.

Anyway, on handshake agreements: https://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=kim+bassinger+boxing+helena&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8#bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=8d863c7e181beed6&hl=en&q=handshake+agreement+binding
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 04:43:13 PM »

the worst no-pay was w2nsd at "73"

Ditto....SAME experience.  "Never Say Die"....sheesh, what a loser.

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »

Cliff,

Just got back to this thread after being at the Huntsville (AL) Hamfest. I appreciate the civility, too. It's something we can all think about having more of in these threads. With the pending shutdown of Monitoring Times due to Bob & Judy Grove's retirement, there will be one less outlet for anyone to argue about, hi hi. In the spirit of your volunteering (non-paid) sentiment, I hope that CQ does continue to publish. If that requires non-paid contributing authors, then they are at the mercy of willing contributors. To make deadlines and keep interesting, good quality articles on their pages, payment may be needed. It just depends....but I do hope they keep publishing.

73 OM and thanks for your civility!

Frank

> ... My two-cents on this in ham radio is that there is a difference ...

You are absolutely correct (and I am one who NEVER uses absolutes). But this is amateur radio, for gawd's sake. Yes,
I am sorry the original gentleman author didn't receive his promised/contracted fifty bucks. But he has enriched
the hobby ... he has added to the wealth of information out there for fellow hams ...

I just wouldn't have "announced" the negative scenario the same way, I guess. It just seemed that for THIS particular
topic - promoting amateur radio - I wouldn't publicly complain about a mag. But, then, where is "my" line crossed? (As
if anyone cared.) I suppose if this was an article describing unique circuits and submitting original schematics for a
project, then that may cross a line, and I might be upset if a contract for authorship was nor honored. But a general-
purpose amateur radio enhancement article like his - or my "Work the Amateur Satellites With Your Handheld Radio"
articles ... I dunno. THANK YOU for the civil discourse.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
909-241-7666 - cell
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: