Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Authoring Articles for CQ Magazine?  (Read 67579 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 07:30:16 AM »

Cliff,

Just got back to this thread after being at the Huntsville (AL) Hamfest. I appreciate the civility, too. It's something we can all think about having more of in these threads. With the pending shutdown of Monitoring Times due to Bob & Judy Grove's retirement, there will be one less outlet for anyone to argue about, hi hi. In the spirit of your volunteering (non-paid) sentiment, I hope that CQ does continue to publish. If that requires non-paid contributing authors, then they are at the mercy of willing contributors. To make deadlines and keep interesting, good quality articles on their pages, payment may be needed. It just depends....but I do hope they keep publishing.

73 OM and thanks for your civility!

Frank

That is all fine and dandy for the future. But that does not change the past. They owe money to people. And they should pay it.

I also find it amazing how some people forgive CQ and find it OK for renege on an agreement for the good of the hobby, and defend them. Especially since none of you know the financial situations of the contributing writers. They may in fact need the money for making ends meet. But those few people seem to assume that they are just doing it for something extra or non-significant.

Personally, I wish those people are one day owed a lot of money by someone, and that someone reneges and does not pay. Then you can use your civility to say, "oh well".
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:37:41 AM by N4NYY » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »

Maybe its because every week we hear about another magazine shutting down and we don't want to see CQ magazine shutdown, even if it means none of the Authors get money they are owed.  Yeah it sucks to be you but personalty I think this is a legal issue not a forum issue designed to embarrass them into paying you.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 05:13:37 PM »

Maybe its because every week we hear about another magazine shutting down and we don't want to see CQ magazine shutdown, even if it means none of the Authors get money they are owed.  Yeah it sucks to be you but personalty I think this is a legal issue not a forum issue designed to embarrass them into paying you.

I am not one of the writers. My friend was, and he is not the one that started this thread. The thread was to inform others so they would not get caught in the same scam. It became a joke because Cliff decided all my himself, that there was nothing wrong with the magazine reneging, and that the author's should do it voluntarily, because he would.

Personally, neither Cliff, myself, or anyone has any right to tell a person that had agreed to author articles for payment, that they should have just done it for free and for the good of ham radio.

As far as losing a good magazine, that was really irrelevant. The magazine may be fine, or in trouble. Bo one knows. But one problem is that you cannot compare this to Time or SI. This is a unique hobby with much lower population, and also already has one major publication. It is a very limited market. And printing magazine now costs a ton.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »

N4NYY:

I'm a professional writer. That means I write for money. Not everything I write though is in a contractual relationship with the expectation of remuneration. That is the point of the first post I made above. If money was promised, then it should be paid in line with the terms so agreed upon. Note that not every publishing agreement specifies payment immediately upon submission of the material or actual publication. Most book publishers, for instance, only pay out royalties once per year. Thus, it depends upon the terms!

Now, on your snippiness. The only reason to post a grievance here is to dissuade other viewers from writing for CQ. It is not a forum for contractual dispute agreement. The courts are the venue for that. So that us where your friend should appeal if non-payment can be certified. Otherwise, you and your friend are just whining on some Internet forum.

I do hope that CQ survives. That has nothing to do with thus situation. It's not making excuses for them as you assert. I'm also saddened by the pending end of Monitoring Times. And I certainly try to be civil in these forums but that seems to be a virtue that you do not appreciate.

Have a nice day.

Cliff,

Just got back to this thread after being at the Huntsville (AL) Hamfest. I appreciate the civility, too. It's something we can all think about having more of in these threads. With the pending shutdown of Monitoring Times due to Bob & Judy Grove's retirement, there will be one less outlet for anyone to argue about, hi hi. In the spirit of your volunteering (non-paid) sentiment, I hope that CQ does continue to publish. If that requires non-paid contributing authors, then they are at the mercy of willing contributors. To make deadlines and keep interesting, good quality articles on their pages, payment may be needed. It just depends....but I do hope they keep publishing.

73 OM and thanks for your civility!

Frank

That is all fine and dandy for the future. But that does not change the past. They owe money to people. And they should pay it.

I also find it amazing how some people forgive CQ and find it OK for renege on an agreement for the good of the hobby, and defend them. Especially since none of you know the financial situations of the contributing writers. They may in fact need the money for making ends meet. But those few people seem to assume that they are just doing it for something extra or non-significant.

Personally, I wish those people are one day owed a lot of money by someone, and that someone reneges and does not pay. Then you can use your civility to say, "oh well".
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 07:15:35 PM »

N4NYY:

I'm a professional writer. That means I write for money. Not everything I write though is in a contractual relationship with the expectation of remuneration. That is the point of the first post I made above. If money was promised, then it should be paid in line with the terms so agreed upon. Note that not every publishing agreement specifies payment immediately upon submission of the material or actual publication. Most book publishers, for instance, only pay out royalties once per year. Thus, it depends upon the terms!

Now, on your snippiness. The only reason to post a grievance here is to dissuade other viewers from writing for CQ. It is not a forum for contractual dispute agreement. The courts are the venue for that. So that us where your friend should appeal if non-payment can be certified. Otherwise, you and your friend are just whining on some Internet forum.

I do hope that CQ survives. That has nothing to do with thus situation. It's not making excuses for them as you assert. I'm also saddened by the pending end of Monitoring Times. And I certainly try to be civil in these forums but that seems to be a virtue that you do not appreciate.

Have a nice day.

Let's get you to understand a couple things:

1. I did not start this thread.

2. I have not authored anything for CQ, nor lost any money.

3. My friend is not on this thread. He posted nothing here.

4. I do not know the original poster of this thread, nor anyone here who posted.

5. This thread started about informing people to NOT write for CQ magazine because they will not pay you for it, even though payment was promised.

6. When you own this forum and moderate it, then you can tell me what venue it is, and what I can post.

7. I do not care that you are a professional writer. That is totally irrelevant to this thread.

Have a nice day
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:22:14 PM by N4NYY » Logged
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 09:42:19 PM »

>> ... because Cliff decided all my himself, that there was nothing wrong with the magazine reneging ...

You have difficulty reading very plain English. Because if you are referring to me and my writings here regarding
amateur radio, then you cannot cite a sentence from me anywhere stating it is all right for ANYONE to break a promise
made - either by an email message, handshake, or formal contract.

Clint (that's "Clint") Bradford, K6LCS
909-241-7666

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 05:31:18 AM »

>> ... because Cliff decided all my himself, that there was nothing wrong with the magazine reneging ...

You have difficulty reading very plain English. Because if you are referring to me and my writings here regarding
amateur radio, then you cannot cite a sentence from me anywhere stating it is all right for ANYONE to break a promise
made - either by an email message, handshake, or formal contract.

Clint (that's "Clint") Bradford, K6LCS
909-241-7666

"An attorney reply" (your words)

Also your words:

1. "When I write columns/articles on amateur radio topics, I do it for the love of the hobby - and not for a paycheck."

2. "You are a PUBLISHED AUTHOR - whether or not they paid you"

3. "But, then, where is "my" line crossed? (As if anyone cared.) I suppose if this was an article describing unique circuits and submitting original schematics for a project, then that may cross a line, and I might be upset if a contract for authorship was nor honored. But a general- purpose amateur radio enhancement article like his - or my "Work the Amateur Satellites With Your Handheld Radio"
articles ... I dunno."

4. "YES! You got it! You read my messages. When I was approached a couple times by CQ Magazine to
write articles and submit photographs, I didn't even think to ask for an honorarium nor payment -
the first question out of my keyboard was always, "What's your deadline?" - because I was involved
in furthering the enjoyment of AMATEUR RADIO."

5. "There is something to be said for both sides of the argument here.  Yes, amateur radio is a hobby, and most of those who look at it that way don't mind giving out free advice and writing articles to benefit other hams.  That is what motivates submissions for this site, and for other ham radio publication venues as well."

6. "Those submitting an article with the expectation of payment without a written agreement in hand concerning such payment shouldn't expect anything, however, since even though the magazine says it would pay it has no obligation to do so."

7. "But when the day comes that I even think of DEMANDING to be paid for writing an article or
making a presentation for the betterment of the amateur radio hobby is the day I'll hang it up
and shut down the radios."

So, did you actually say that it was OK that the magazine does not pay? No. But you implied it, because you would do it for free. FOr the good of the hobby. I especially like #3, where is say you might be upset if you wrote a unique article and were not paid for it, but not for a general purpose article. Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth!

As I said, you comments were disrespectful for the thread author and other who were promised payment and were not paid. I am sure they do not care what you would do for free. That is really not the point of the thread. The point of the thread was to inform potential authors that CQ promises payment and does not pay.

AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 05:44:59 AM »

I have written a number of articles for CQ and have always been paid.  HOWEVER - it has taken me as much as a year, and many emails before final payment.  Yes, payment (when it does come if you are persistent enough) is not all that much, but it pays for parts and circuit boards which helps justify your effort and expense in writing the article.  BTW - QST pays immediately on publication.  I often receive the check from QST before I get the issue in the mail.

Phil - AD5X

AND - Here is what CQ says about payment in their writers guide (you can find this on the CQ website).

Payment
One of the nice things about writing is that if your article is published, you will be paid for it. Now sometimes it is nice and ego-satisfying to write for the sheer pleasure of it. It is pleasant to see your name in print and to be recognized as an author. It's also a boost to receive reader mail from people who enjoyed your work and appreciated your effort. It is possible to have all of the above and get paid for your work at the same time (Some items, such as "Op-Ed" submissions, are "paid for" in the form of a complimentary subscription; we do not pay for contributions to columns.).

You won't get rich writing for CQ or any other magazine for that matter, so give up those early retirement thoughts. You will, however, make a little extra money to pay for your projects or for some extra goodies for yourself and your family. Please include your Social Security Number on your cover page or at the end of your text. We can't pay you unless we have it.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 06:37:04 AM »

...The only reason to post a grievance here is to dissuade other viewers from writing for CQ. It is not a forum for contractual dispute agreement. The courts are the venue for that. So that us where your friend should appeal if non-payment can be certified. Otherwise, you and your friend are just whining on some Internet forum....

How about looking at the post as a warning to the ham population that if they DO write an article for that magazine they may not get paid even if the magazine says it will pay.  That's how I took the original post, anyway.   Roll Eyes
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 07:05:21 AM »

AND - Here is what CQ says about payment in their writers guide (you can find this on the CQ website).

Payment

One of the nice things about writing is that if your article is published, you will be paid for it. Now sometimes it is nice and ego-satisfying to write for the sheer pleasure of it. It is pleasant to see your name in print and to be recognized as an author. It's also a boost to receive reader mail from people who enjoyed your work and appreciated your effort. It is possible to have all of the above and get paid for your work at the same time (Some items, such as "Op-Ed" submissions, are "paid for" in the form of a complimentary subscription; we do not pay for contributions to columns.).

Nice !
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 09:10:40 AM »

>> ... So, did you actually say that it was OK that the magazine does not pay? No.

Well, you CAN read. I apologize for the reference to illiteracy.

And I will continue to VOLUNTEER my time and effort and publish equipment reviews and appear on podcasts and
dedicate Web server space to this magnificent hobby.

To be honest with you, I HAVE written for CQ a couple of times - and been published. But I never asked for
reimbursement. I knew they probably had a policy (cited elsewhere in this thread - and on their Web site), but
I just NEVER THOUGHT of asking to be paid for my contributions to the hobby.

Doesn't make Clint "better." "Different," I have been told, yes ... (grin)

And so it goes ...

Clint Bradford K6LCS
909-241-7666

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »

I can respect that Clint.  Doing a ham radio article for free was how I always thought it should be done, this Hobby is all about sharing information and being an Elmer to one another.
I hate to see a thread like this, it's sole purpose is to embarrass and get pay back at one of the few remaining good magazines.  That whole bit about warning Authors, I don't buy it that the warning was to help authors I think it was designed to keep potential authors away from CQ in order to put CQ further in the hole.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 12:33:08 PM »

>> ... So, did you actually say that it was OK that the magazine does not pay? No.

Well, you CAN read. I apologize for the reference to illiteracy.

And I will continue to VOLUNTEER my time and effort and publish equipment reviews and appear on podcasts and
dedicate Web server space to this magnificent hobby.

To be honest with you, I HAVE written for CQ a couple of times - and been published. But I never asked for
reimbursement. I knew they probably had a policy (cited elsewhere in this thread - and on their Web site), but
I just NEVER THOUGHT of asking to be paid for my contributions to the hobby.

Doesn't make Clint "better." "Different," I have been told, yes ... (grin)

And so it goes ...

Clint Bradford K6LCS
909-241-7666

Clint,

If your such a hero because you do it for the love of the hobby, then volunteer to pay the remaining unpaid moneys to the writers that were screwed by CQ, out of your own pocket. For the love of the hobby!

Otherwise, I don't care what you volunteer, as I am sure people do not care what I volunteer. Since this thread was nothing about volunteering, nor doing it for the love of ham radio, nor for the honor of being published. This thread was a informative warning that told people that if they write for CQ and were promised payment, to not expect any. That is all this thread was about. You decided with your self-righteous personality, to go in a totally different and off subject discussion.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:45:28 PM by N4NYY » Logged
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 12:35:37 PM »

I started this thread. Its all here on the website in black and white:

http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_writers_guide/cq_writers_guide.html

If the magazine stated up front they would not pay authors, then I would have been okay with that. As it is, I am contemplating another article for Electric Radio Magazine. They do NOT pay for articles, and this is understood up front. I'm okay with that as well.

A gentleman's word is his bond. That used to have some meaning years ago in our society...but we're seeing it disturbingly less and less these days.

And that's all I have to say on this topic. Have a good week, gentlemen. Be safe and God Bless.

Philip
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:38:19 PM by KA4KOE » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »

I can respect that Clint.  Doing a ham radio article for free was how I always thought it should be done, this Hobby is all about sharing information and being an Elmer to one another.
I hate to see a thread like this, it's sole purpose is to embarrass and get pay back at one of the few remaining good magazines.  That whole bit about warning Authors, I don't buy it that the warning was to help authors I think it was designed to keep potential authors away from CQ in order to put CQ further in the hole.

Another crock of baloney. Another guy who decided that people are not entitled to payment for which they were promised. Except in this case, this is actually less incompetent than what Clint said. Now you are assuming this is a conspiracy to bring down CQ and put them further in the hole. I have heard everything now.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: