Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Authoring Articles for CQ Magazine?  (Read 71230 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 12:39:52 PM »

I started this thread. Its all here on the website in black and white:

http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_writers_guide/cq_writers_guide.html

if the magazine stated up front they would not pay authors, I would have been okay with that. As it is, I am contemplating another article for Electric Radio Magazine. They do NOT pay for articles, and this is understood up front. I'm okay with that as well.

Philip

You are making too much sense, Phil!

It is not about money!

It is for the love of the hobby!

Or better yet, it is a conspiracy that you are causing, in an effort to bring down CQ magazine!

How dare you post a link with actual proof that CQ states their authors are paid! How dare you! LOL
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »

I'm a loyal CQ subscriber. I particularly enjoy the CQ awards programs, and wish to see them continue for a long time.  Heck, the WAZ award actually pre-dates DXCC.

It is for exactly these reasons that I thank KA4KOE and N4NYY for their comments here.  If CQ is in financial trouble, we need to know about that, and CQ needs to be straight with the ham community that supports their enterprise.  Stiffing authors for their earned pay is a clear warning sign of a failing enterprise.

Lets hope that Phil and other authors get their back pay, and that subscribers continue receiving their magazines.

Chuck  NI0C
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »

I'm a loyal CQ subscriber. I particularly enjoy the CQ awards programs, and wish to see them continue for a long time.  Heck, the WAZ award actually pre-dates DXCC.

It is for exactly these reasons that I thank KA4KOE and N4NYY for their comments here.  If CQ is in financial trouble, we need to know about that, and CQ needs to be straight with the ham community that supports their enterprise.  Stiffing authors for their earned pay is a clear warning sign of a failing enterprise.

Lets hope that Phil and other authors get their back pay, and that subscribers continue receiving their magazines.

Chuck  NI0C

Chuck, they may be, or they may not be in trouble. I would guess they are. Only they know. I am going to leave it at that.

FWIW, I also subscribe to CQ.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 03:03:57 PM »

N4NYY,

What you've gotten readers of this thread to learn is that you don't know how to play well in the sandbox. Phil AD5X tried to say basically what I said. He writes professionally, too, and that IS relevant to this thread since it gives us both a more experienced basis to comment on commercial outlets like CQ. But you don't deal well with others who have more empirical evidence about a topic, I see.

I'm done here and have offered some good advice about writing for magazines. Take it or leave it. I'm out!

73 folks,

Frank

N4NYY:

I'm a professional writer. That means I write for money. Not everything I write though is in a contractual relationship with the expectation of remuneration. That is the point of the first post I made above. If money was promised, then it should be paid in line with the terms so agreed upon. Note that not every publishing agreement specifies payment immediately upon submission of the material or actual publication. Most book publishers, for instance, only pay out royalties once per year. Thus, it depends upon the terms!

Now, on your snippiness. The only reason to post a grievance here is to dissuade other viewers from writing for CQ. It is not a forum for contractual dispute agreement. The courts are the venue for that. So that us where your friend should appeal if non-payment can be certified. Otherwise, you and your friend are just whining on some Internet forum.

I do hope that CQ survives. That has nothing to do with thus situation. It's not making excuses for them as you assert. I'm also saddened by the pending end of Monitoring Times. And I certainly try to be civil in these forums but that seems to be a virtue that you do not appreciate.

Have a nice day.

Let's get you to understand a couple things:

1. I did not start this thread.

2. I have not authored anything for CQ, nor lost any money.

3. My friend is not on this thread. He posted nothing here.

4. I do not know the original poster of this thread, nor anyone here who posted.

5. This thread started about informing people to NOT write for CQ magazine because they will not pay you for it, even though payment was promised.

6. When you own this forum and moderate it, then you can tell me what venue it is, and what I can post.

7. I do not care that you are a professional writer. That is totally irrelevant to this thread.

Have a nice day

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 04:10:38 PM »

N4NYY,

What you've gotten readers of this thread to learn is that you don't know how to play well in the sandbox.

This coming from a guy that wrote this "It is not a forum for contractual dispute agreement. The courts are the venue for that." Basically telling us what we should be talking about here.

Phil AD5X tried to say basically what I said. He writes professionally, too, and that IS relevant to this thread since it gives us both a more experienced basis to comment on commercial outlets like CQ. But you don't deal well with others who have more empirical evidence about a topic, I see.

I think you need to tell us again that you are a professional writer, since you seem to think we did not read it the first 100 times that you mentioned it. That change nothing, other than the fact that we now know you are a professional writer. It's pretty simple stuff. The guy posted a thread about non-payment. An agreement was broken. You being a professional writer is a non-issue and changes nothing.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 05:51:42 PM »

I can respect that Clint.  Doing a ham radio article for free was how I always thought it should be done, this Hobby is all about sharing information and being an Elmer to one another.
I hate to see a thread like this, it's sole purpose is to embarrass and get pay back at one of the few remaining good magazines.  That whole bit about warning Authors, I don't buy it that the warning was to help authors I think it was designed to keep potential authors away from CQ in order to put CQ further in the hole.

Another crock of baloney. Another guy who decided that people are not entitled to payment for which they were promised. Except in this case, this is actually less incompetent than what Clint said. Now you are assuming this is a conspiracy to bring down CQ and put them further in the hole. I have heard everything now.

Really!! This is new to You Huh  People don't get paid and then they go on a vendeta to do as much harm as they can do to the company that they feel shafted them,  That's new to you!  You need to get out of the house more often my friend because it happens every single hour of the day.  People are on the Internet slamming every company that they feel wronged them and it's certainly no surprise to me.  As a matter of fact that's why 80% of the people who post to this section do it, to get back at the company that they feel wronged them.   LOL your not very savvy if you didn't realize that.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:55:28 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »

Really!! This is new to You Huh  People don't get paid and then they go on a vendeta to do as much harm as they can do to the company that they feel shafted them,  That's new to you!  You need to get out of the house more often my friend because it happens every single hour of the day.  People are on the Internet slamming every company that they feel wronged them and it's certainly no surprise to me.  As a matter of fact that's why 80% of the people who post to this section do it, to get back at the company that they feel wronged them.   LOL your not very savvy if you didn't realize that.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you! We are all out to get CQ!
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »

People don't get paid and then they go on a vendeta to do as much harm as they can do to the company that they feel shafted them,

Warning people that they may not get paid for the work they do for a company hardly constitutes a vendetta. 

Chuck  NI0C
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »

I wrote the Broadcast DXing column for Popular Communications in the mid-'90s. Late payments were common then, too. At one point, they were a year behind, so I stopped filing columns. Eventually they got caught up, but I had moved on by then. It was a valuable learning experience in more ways than one.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2013, 10:36:43 PM »

I wrote the Broadcast DXing column for Popular Communications in the mid-'90s. Late payments were common then, too. At one point, they were a year behind, so I stopped filing columns. Eventually they got caught up, but I had moved on by then. It was a valuable learning experience in more ways than one.

And as a columnist, you were expected to meet and honor your monthly deadlines and to have your material ready on time and properly edited.  I doubt many of the naysayers realize what is expected or demanded from a monthly columnist who was expected and obligated to contribute his material monthly basis. Writing one or two vanity submissions is good for the ego, but hardly equates to the service you provided, and the expectation to be rewarded for your work and effort.

Regardless, even a one time author should receive the remuneration that was agreed too.

The comments concerning Electric Radio are spot on: that publisher is up front and honest concerning payment. Skip
Tenny, publisher of the old Ham Radio Magazine, always paid his writers and workers at date of publication. Always. The
same for the ARRL or QEX.  73 was hit or miss. In their better days it was on publication, when things got tight you'd be waiting for a check.

Pete
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 04:52:38 AM »

That whole bit about warning Authors, I don't buy it that the warning was to help authors I think it was designed to keep potential authors away from CQ in order to put CQ further in the hole.

The comment was not meant that way.  The supposed warning was not to expect payment if you're looking for a little extra scratch to get something for the shack or to pad the free cash account a bit--not as a device to drive writers away from the magazine.

You would hardly expect a company to come right out and say that they're in financial trouble.  That's a sure way to put the company even further in the hole.  Perhaps an e-mail or even snail mail to the company inquiring about the payment would be the right thing to do here.  The most definitively wrong thing to do about the situation is to prolong this p*ssing contest on this forum.  

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:54:47 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 08:46:07 AM »

N4NNY,

Did I also tell you that I'm an Editor for a major publisher, too?  Tongue

1. "When" someone was supposed to be paid was my point. Publishing for hire (a "work for hire" in legal terms) is hardly ever payment-due-upon-submission! That was my point, and Phil AD5X's, as experienced writers. As an Editor, I defer those remittance terms to a contract from that department at my publisher. They pay royalties ONCE PER YEAR, in April. Since you're not an experienced writer, the comments of two who are experienced should have had made some impact on your apparently hard head. It didn't.

2. IF someone who was promised (how? In e-mail, by letter, a phone conversation, or some general statement on their website that may or may not apply to the specific piece written by someone?) payment for a manuscript, then WHAT WERE THE TERMS? I think this is written in clear, concise English. What about this do you not understand? And why do you say it is irrelevant? HOW were the TERMS violated?

3. Posting something on eHam in a Forum is fine but it's not an effective way to resolve what is a private contract dispute. The Managing Editor is the one who handles these matters: cq@cq-amateur-radio.com (Gail M. Sheehan, K2RED).

4. IF reasonable expectations of communications are not met (ask your lawyer what this means since you're likely to respond that it's irrelevant), THEN it's time to have a legal representative contact CQ Magazine.

Let me repeat in case you missed it: I'm a professional writer and Editor for a major scientific publisher. It means that I've done this before. I've also been privy to author issues of non-payment of royalties. It comes with the EXPERIENCE of being a person who is paid for writing. Since you apparently have not, why don't you do the civil thing and learn from others? Oh, that's right. You don't play well in the sandbox. Perhaps others in this thread will benefit.

Have one helluva nice day!

Frank

N4NYY,

What you've gotten readers of this thread to learn is that you don't know how to play well in the sandbox.

This coming from a guy that wrote this "It is not a forum for contractual dispute agreement. The courts are the venue for that." Basically telling us what we should be talking about here.

Phil AD5X tried to say basically what I said. He writes professionally, too, and that IS relevant to this thread since it gives us both a more experienced basis to comment on commercial outlets like CQ. But you don't deal well with others who have more empirical evidence about a topic, I see.

I think you need to tell us again that you are a professional writer, since you seem to think we did not read it the first 100 times that you mentioned it. That change nothing, other than the fact that we now know you are a professional writer. It's pretty simple stuff. The guy posted a thread about non-payment. An agreement was broken. You being a professional writer is a non-issue and changes nothing.

KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 09:03:39 AM »

"When" someone was supposed to be paid was my point. Publishing for hire (a "work for hire" in legal terms) is hardly ever payment-due-upon-submission! That was my point, and Phil AD5X's, as experienced writers. As an Editor, I defer those remittance terms to a contract from that department at my publisher. They pay royalties ONCE PER YEAR, in April.

Wow. Once per year? I've been freelancing full time since 2002, and I've never heard of that payment schedule. Most of my clients pay upon publication or shortly after. A few want the invoice and article at the same time, and one often wants the invoice weeks before the story is due because of their billing cycle.

Flexibility and budgeting skills are key for anyone who wants to make a living as a freelancer, even part time.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »

N4NNY,

Did I also tell you that I'm an Editor for a major publisher, too?  Tongue

Congrats. Irrelevant to this topic. This topic is about non-payment of moneys owed for authored articles. Not about what your job is.

1. "When" someone was supposed to be paid was my point. Publishing for hire (a "work for hire" in legal terms) is hardly ever payment-due-upon-submission! That was my point, and Phil AD5X's, as experienced writers. As an Editor, I defer those remittance terms to a contract from that department at my publisher. They pay royalties ONCE PER YEAR, in April. Since you're not an experienced writer, the comments of two who are experienced should have had made some impact on your apparently hard head. It didn't.

The authors have not been paid at all. And for over 1 year.

2. IF someone who was promised (how? In e-mail, by letter, a phone conversation, or some general statement on their website that may or may not apply to the specific piece written by someone?) payment for a manuscript, then WHAT WERE THE TERMS? I think this is written in clear, concise English. What about this do you not understand? And why do you say it is irrelevant? HOW were the TERMS violated?

Ask the people that started the thread or were owed money. I do not know the terms, NOR do you. But they found it bad enough to start a thread.

3. Posting something on eHam in a Forum is fine but it's not an effective way to resolve what is a private contract dispute. The Managing Editor is the one who handles these matters: cq@cq-amateur-radio.com (Gail M. Sheehan, K2RED).

Nice. Now you have a literacy problem. Here is a quote from the original thread "The publisher will not return telephone calls, etc."

4. IF reasonable expectations of communications are not met (ask your lawyer what this means since you're likely to respond that it's irrelevant), THEN it's time to have a legal representative contact CQ Magazine.

Actually, if it is under $10,000, I referred them to Small Claims court. It would be uneconomical to hire a lawyer for anything less.

Let me repeat in case you missed it: I'm a professional writer and Editor for a major scientific publisher. It means that I've done this before. I've also been privy to author issues of non-payment of royalties. It comes with the EXPERIENCE of being a person who is paid for writing. Since you apparently have not, why don't you do the civil thing and learn from others? Oh, that's right. You don't play well in the sandbox. Perhaps others in this thread will benefit.

Irrelevant, Irrelevant, and Irrelevant. You have no more knowledge of this situation than I do.

Have one helluva nice day!

Thanks !

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2013, 09:08:59 AM »

"When" someone was supposed to be paid was my point. Publishing for hire (a "work for hire" in legal terms) is hardly ever payment-due-upon-submission! That was my point, and Phil AD5X's, as experienced writers. As an Editor, I defer those remittance terms to a contract from that department at my publisher. They pay royalties ONCE PER YEAR, in April.

Wow. Once per year? I've been freelancing full time since 2002, and I've never heard of that payment schedule. Most of my clients pay upon publication or shortly after. A few want the invoice and article at the same time, and one often wants the invoice weeks before the story is due because of their billing cycle.

Flexibility and budgeting skills are key for anyone who wants to make a living as a freelancer, even part time.

But he is a professional writer and an editor for a major publication (I suppose that is supposed to impress us). He knows about this stuff! LOL
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: