Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Authoring Articles for CQ Magazine?  (Read 69754 times)
WB2AMU

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2013, 03:01:42 PM »

Frank:

Just to let you know, we have contacted Rich in the past and he has referred any payment owed questions to Dick, the publisher.  Gail is likewise not involved in any aspect of handling out the payment.   The problem is that the publisher or even the controller are not particularly easy to get by phone or the type to respond to email or snail mail.  Yes, I do believe that some authors are owed more than $5000!   These guys have really given their all to the hobby and the magazine!
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »

Frank:

Just to let you know, we have contacted Rich in the past and he has referred any payment owed questions to Dick, the publisher.  Gail is likewise not involved in any aspect of handling out the payment.   The problem is that the publisher or even the controller are not particularly easy to get by phone or the type to respond to email or snail mail.  Yes, I do believe that some authors are owed more than $5000!   These guys have really given their all to the hobby and the magazine!

Stop making sense! Frank will not go for anything that makes sense!
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »

For the Record...

My September CQ and August Pop-Comm arrived in today's (5 Sep) mail.  I am still waiting for the August CQ.  Maybe...just maybe, they are starting to mail the magazines to subscribers again. 
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »

Kenneth,

Thanks for the information presented in a civil tone. I've been traveling since last Friday and just now read the latest on this Forum.

I understand your statements about contacting the CQ Editorial Staff and being referred to the Publisher. But what would be more convincing to readers is---as I stated above in this thread---a statement of the details of your and others agreement for payment to write for CQ. Was it a telephone call, an email, or a written letter? What were the terms of the amount and when CQ would pay? Understand, I am not disputing your assertion. But any impartial party, whether it be a judge or just a reasonable ham, would want to see this evidence.

This always makes a post on a consumer-focused forum like this one much more powerful. What reduces it considerably is to react by evoking personal attacks on the person who asks about such evidence. N4NYY, for instance, wanted no part of the legal facts of this matter, calling me a "scumbag," and stating that I do not follow logical sense. This is the kind of behavior that splits clubs and reduces eHam Forums to a playground for trolls (just see the Flex Radio Forum).

I, and others, are candidly not likely to stop reading CQ until compelling evidence is shown. Perhaps not even then as hams are as diverse as any other group of hobbyists. But you will have a greater impact if you do post answers such as those I've asked about and not condone trolling behavior such as that exhibited by N4NYY.

Good luck, Ken!

Frank:

KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2013, 06:35:54 PM »

Today I received the August Pop Comm and September CQ. That's the first time I received both on the same day.
WB2AMU

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2013, 07:34:26 PM »

Hmmmm details about agreements.   I do not know if you have any experiences in writing for magazines but there are typically no contracts involved.  The agreement will usually be conveyed in writing in the form of letter or email or even verbal by phone.  Payment schedule is usually declared on the website with the statement "for articles accepted...."

In the case of two monthly aviation publications that I have written for this year, there was initial contact by emails regarding a potential article and then eventually payment terms.  I was paid by both publications within a short amount of time (one month).

In the case of CQ, my association with them goes back 18 years and there was an early email regarding the payment rate.  This was in effect for several years until they stopped paying me and most other authors for articles during the past three years.

In the case of the book that I cowrote with another author for CQ, I did have a formal contract with them in which I would receive a yearly statement and royalties.  Sadly, neither of these things happened.   The other author and I opted for additional copies of the book after waiting for over five years of no statement or royalties.

No one is asking you to stop reading CQ Magazine.  That is your own choice to do so.  If you wrote for them and did not get paid for your efforts, you might feel differently.

Ultimately, the market forces will determine if CQ can survive in the future.  As I have mentioned in previous emails, the market has changed dramatically in the past five years and print media is having a really tough time of it.  For ham publications, the sunspot cycle was a chance for great conditions to generate some excitement and with the tepid cycle currentlly, that will not happen.

It is my belief that CQ needed to change their format to attract more interest from hams and hams-to-be.  It would be great if they were to acknowledge the efforts of their authors and editors.  This could be done in communication by email that states honestly their financial difficulties and let the authors know what is the situation and not leave the authors in the dark.

It would be a very different hobby if their was only QST around.   The loss of CQ would be more significant than just the loss of the magazine; it would mean the loss of sponsorship and staff to run the the CQ WW Contests as well.  So this is a difficult time indeed......
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2013, 12:13:14 AM »

Kenneth,

Thanks for the information presented in a civil tone. I've been traveling since last Friday and just now read the latest on this Forum.

I understand your statements about contacting the CQ Editorial Staff and being referred to the Publisher. But what would be more convincing to readers is---as I stated above in this thread---a statement of the details of your and others agreement for payment to write for CQ. Was it a telephone call, an email, or a written letter? What were the terms of the amount and when CQ would pay? Understand, I am not disputing your assertion. But any impartial party, whether it be a judge or just a reasonable ham, would want to see this evidence.

This always makes a post on a consumer-focused forum like this one much more powerful. What reduces it considerably is to react by evoking personal attacks on the person who asks about such evidence. N4NYY, for instance, wanted no part of the legal facts of this matter, calling me a "scumbag," and stating that I do not follow logical sense. This is the kind of behavior that splits clubs and reduces eHam Forums to a playground for trolls (just see the Flex Radio Forum).

I, and others, are candidly not likely to stop reading CQ until compelling evidence is shown. Perhaps not even then as hams are as diverse as any other group of hobbyists. But you will have a greater impact if you do post answers such as those I've asked about and not condone trolling behavior such as that exhibited by N4NYY.

Good luck, Ken!

Frank:

I apologize to all the scumbags of the world, for lumping them in with the likes of people like you.
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2013, 06:13:23 AM »

After reading this thread, I just extended by subscription to CQ:

http://store.cq-amateur-radio.com/Detail.bok?no=411

and get a calendar to go with it. I like to put this magazine on the coffee table in my office where I do my work as a professional writer and book editor.

Stay in this head-bangers' ball if you wish!

Peace out,

Frank

PS: did I say that I write and edit professionally?

Yes. And you also said you were out of this thread 3 times. So we know how good your word is!  Might as well go work for CQ !

Hi,

Foolish me, and I thought that Frank was really leaving.  Grin

John
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2013, 08:33:10 AM »

Kenneth,

Yes, I've written extensively for scientific publications and there is always an agreement, even if just for the copyright transfer. Large publishers, like Taylor & Francis in England (began publishing in 1782), always include a financial clause in the contract declaration. CQ apparently does not do that, unfortunately,.

Your book contract seems standard and legally binding. The publisher could always say that there were no royalties because the sales did not cover the publishing costs (which usually bundle everything from layout (typesetting) to printing to advertising. But at least an annual statement should declare this to a contracted author!

The email should also be binding unless they have a clause in it stating that terms may change without notice. However, your 18 year period of work, from a practical point of view in operational communications, should hold up from a legal point of view, IMHO.

PLEASE NOTE that this information about "terms" and "agreements" was the information I was requesting in the first place. Thank you for spelling it out for the thread. These terms do matter!

Checking with the NY SOS website, it appears that CQ Publications Inc has refinanced their business operations very frequently over the past decade. It could be that they've been shopping for better interest rates or extended terms. But it could alternatively indicate financial distress. But neither indicate a financially robust company.

I know this eHam Forum is for consumer reviews of amateur radio vendors. From my reading, however, when a thread has a poster or three who became vituperative in tone without specific facts, it has a boomerang effect to make readers take-up for a vendor they've had positive experiences with. Putting the verified facts out there---as you just did in your most recent post---to let others make independent judgements is a stronger stance.

N4NYY attacks the poster who has a different take on a situation, a common trolling behavior. W5JON and I have sparred over his same tactics regarding MFJ equipment and services. Each only creates a backlash of readers who operate on the basis of facts that can be verified.

Kenneth, you won't get much satisfaction from stopping with a post here. I personally asked the Customer Service director at CQ Publications to have Rich Moseson to weigh in on this thread. It hasn't happened yet but, in point of fact, an independent subscriber has brought it to their attention. Canceling (or extending) a subscription will not get you paid. Bankruptcy on their end might get you pennies on the dollar, if that. You could feel some sense of justice but it would be at a loss to the amateur community at large.

Filing a complaint with the NY SOS office with your documentation would at least be a start. If you post something to get a list of all authors who have not been paid, that would begin to start a claim toward a class-action claim. Lawyers sort of need work these days. With these facts in hand, there could be a contract attorney who would take it on the basis of recovery (gets paid only if the claimants win). Right now, you have nothing. 75-cents on your promised dollar (x number of claimants) would be better both in terms of money and your feelings about it.

Besides, you could use some of this award to buy W5JON an antenna tuner to N5NYY a sack of lemons to suck on!

Did I mention that I'm a professional writer and editor?  Grin

73 Ken,

Frank

Hmmmm details about agreements.   I do not know if you have any experiences in writing for magazines but there are typically no contracts involved.  The agreement will usually be conveyed in writing in the form of letter or email or even verbal by phone.  Payment schedule is usually declared on the website with the statement "for articles accepted...."

In the case of two monthly aviation publications that I have written for this year, there was initial contact by emails regarding a potential article and then eventually payment terms.  I was paid by both publications within a short amount of time (one month).

In the case of CQ, my association with them goes back 18 years and there was an early email regarding the payment rate.  This was in effect for several years until they stopped paying me and most other authors for articles during the past three years.

In the case of the book that I cowrote with another author for CQ, I did have a formal contract with them in which I would receive a yearly statement and royalties.  Sadly, neither of these things happened.   The other author and I opted for additional copies of the book after waiting for over five years of no statement or royalties.

No one is asking you to stop reading CQ Magazine.  That is your own choice to do so.  If you wrote for them and did not get paid for your efforts, you might feel differently.

Ultimately, the market forces will determine if CQ can survive in the future.  As I have mentioned in previous emails, the market has changed dramatically in the past five years and print media is having a really tough time of it.  For ham publications, the sunspot cycle was a chance for great conditions to generate some excitement and with the tepid cycle currentlly, that will not happen.

It is my belief that CQ needed to change their format to attract more interest from hams and hams-to-be.  It would be great if they were to acknowledge the efforts of their authors and editors.  This could be done in communication by email that states honestly their financial difficulties and let the authors know what is the situation and not leave the authors in the dark.

It would be a very different hobby if their was only QST around.   The loss of CQ would be more significant than just the loss of the magazine; it would mean the loss of sponsorship and staff to run the the CQ WW Contests as well.  So this is a difficult time indeed......

WB2AMU

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »

Thank you for your detailed point of view.  Actually, at this point, I have no expectations of ever getting any kind of payment from CQ for articles or book royalties.  It is unfortunate of course and I may have to chalk it up to experience and may have to cut my losses at this point.  It is much worse for a number of other writers who have written more pages worth of articles.   A magazine is a team - writers, editors and production personnel.  You need all components in order to make it work!   

Fine on being a professional writer and editor.  If you google my name, or check my facebook page, you will see that I have significant writing experience dating back 20 years.  At this point, I have 14 books published, including two books on amateur radio (Six Meters and VHF Propagation).  I also have published a reliability engineering textbook by Prentice Hall that is referenced in over two dozen scientific papers.  The majority of my books are on military aircraft.  I have found that once a person gets started with one book, it can be a stepping stone that can lead into other book projects.  It has also helped in my engineering job where I constantly have to make presentation and reports and editing experience is a major factor there.

One of the thing that I have been able to accomplish to work with five or six different companies in producing books.  Each company has their own slant on a project and compromise is generally needed.  Also, in the case of a textbook, there is a rigorous review process in which referees/reviewers are employed.

I was most fortunate to work with these companies when I did (mainly 10 years ago) as I was able to realize my project in pretty much the way I envisioned it.

KEN WB2AMU
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2013, 02:11:40 PM »

Ken,

Thanks for the civilized tone. My "did I mention I wuz a pro writer..." was a tongue-in-cheek reference to N4NYY's annoyance at my first statement to this effect since some of his and others comments seemed as if they did not know "come here from sic'em" to use a Texas slogan about how professional writing works. I was not actually trying to toot my own horn as I've been writing for print since age 13 (sports), radio news (News Director), or scientific topics. It's just old hat, honestly. Since it seemed to annoy N4NYY, I've repeated it....sorry you missed that humorous spin. My apologies!

Couldn't agree with you more on the team nature of putting a good publication each day, week, month, or quarter. It is, indeed, a shame about CQ. I suspect Tom Kneitel would've handled things differently back in the day. But let me encourage you and the others who are so affected to pursue some type of joint public statement with each one laying out the facts on the agreement and terms. You might get an advertiser or two to rethink their expenditures if they know their customers --- in number --- are being bilked in this way. Most build-it articles generate sales for someone.

Thanks again for your civil discourse, Ken. I've known some great editors over the years at P-H. They have been a great publishing house over the years!

Frank
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2014, 10:14:36 AM »

"Theremins?"

You ARE a very interesting person.

My wife's uncle invented the zap ray sound for the movie, "The War of the Worlds" in 1953 - in addition to being one of Hitchcock's favorite audio recordists.

This has absolutely nothing to do with ham radio nor the original thread ...

Clint Bradford
Continuing the digression on SFX...

Try hitting a stretched garage door spring with a screwdriver sometime. Voila! Photon torpedo! Cheesy

73, -WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: