Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Authoring Articles for CQ Magazine?  (Read 71146 times)
KA4KOE

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:32:21 AM »

If you plan to write for CQ Magazine, then don't. The website states they will pay authors. In practice, however, don't plan on it.

I know of at least 5 other folks, besides myself, who are owed money by this publication. The publisher will not return telephone calls, etc. My article was in the October 2012 issue and was entitled "Tacoma Truck-Tenna".

Don't confuse the Publisher/Owner with the Editor. The Editor is a good guy.

Tnx for letting me vent.

Philip
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 02:15:31 PM »

If you plan to write for CQ Magazine, then don't. The website states they will pay authors. In practice, however, don't plan on it.

I know of at least 5 other folks, besides myself, who are owed money by this publication. The publisher will not return telephone calls, etc. My article was in the October 2012 issue and was entitled "Tacoma Truck-Tenna".

Don't confuse the Publisher/Owner with the Editor. The Editor is a good guy.

Tnx for letting me vent.

Philip

I have a friend that was an author and they paid him for the first 2 articles and then never paid him again. They have yet to catch up. Also, he contacted the previous authors and found some where not paid at all, and felt guilty that he got 2 payments when they were delinquent on previous authors.

The bottom line is that they are a fraud and I would not spend a dime on them until they get new ownership.

Also, from what I understand, they have a circulation of 10,000 which is putridly low. That is likely because they are still a printed magazine. They should go exclusively online, with online ads, and drop the rate to a much lower rate.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 02:18:07 AM »

I sure hope that they don't!
I can't stand seeing another good magazine go to the web. There something really nice about holding and reading from a real paper magazine versus using a screen.

I hope that those who have the knowledge might want to consider offering their services for free if it keeps another ham related magazine from failing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:21:09 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 05:25:49 AM »

I sure hope that they don't!
I can't stand seeing another good magazine go to the web. There something really nice about holding and reading from a real paper magazine versus using a screen.

I hope that those who have the knowledge might want to consider offering their services for free if it keeps another ham related magazine from failing.

They cannot pay their bills this way. Print media is extremely expensive.
W5FG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »

I have written for all the major ham magazines over the past 40 years.  the worst no-pay was w2nsd at "73" followed closely by "CQ" so I must agree with the reports on "CQ".. Good old "Ham Radio" paid promptly , as did long-gone " Radio-Electronic News" and all of my ham goodies came from monies they sent me!  Early "QST"  decided the prestige of being published was sufficient compensation but they finally broke down and began paying when contributions began drying up. W5FG
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »

When I write columns/articles on amateur radio topics, I do it for the love of the hobby - and not for a paycheck.

I have spoken to more than 70 clubs the past few years ... taking and setting up my own audio-visual equipment to each and every venue, and speaking to audiences ranging from 12 to 300 attendees. Only for two appearances did I ask for an "honorarium" to simply cover partial travel costs (driving a couple hundred miles each way).

So, seriously - weren't you and your friends jazzed when YOUR byline showed up in that edition of the magazine? Do something cool with it ... like donate a copy to your local library. Or get it to a middle or high school ham club for them to use. You are a PUBLISHED AUTHOR - whether or not they paid you. You HAVE done something cool for the amateur community-at-large. Keep it up! Want a thankless job? Volunteer to be the editor of one of your local clubs' newsletters ... You obviously like to write, and like to tell others of your experiences.

Please keep using your writing talents to educate others in this magnificent hobby!

Clint Bradford K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »

"Theremins?"

You ARE a very interesting person.

My wife's uncle invented the zap ray sound for the movie, "The War of the Worlds" in 1953 - in addition to being one of Hitchcock's favorite audio recordists.

This has absolutely nothing to do with ham radio nor the original thread ...

Clint Bradford

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 10:50:01 AM »

Wow, Clint, aren't you just special?  Do you really confuse volunteer efforts vs. doing work for a commercial organization?  How much FREE work do you offer to do for your employer?  Do you give your paycheck back to your company as a donation?

He wasn't writing for club newsletter, or speaking at a ham gathering.  Do you think the magazine editors and publisher are also working for free?  

There is a big difference between being a volunteer, and writing commercially. If it is a volunteer effort, the publisher should be upfront, and not lead writers on, nor ignore their inquiries.

If it feeds your ego, perhaps you might pick up the slack and offer your services for free. The days of my getting stroked by seeing my name in print are long gone.

Pete k1zjh
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:57:55 AM by K1ZJH » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 07:54:43 PM »

Interesting thread! I'm a professional writer ... Books mostly and am an editor at a major scientific publisher. In 35 years as a college professor, I wrote and published in scholarly journals. So I've been on both sides....the prestige of contributing to science at not-for-profit academic journals (although some were the cash-cows of the publishing organization) and writing for book royalties.

My two-cents on this in ham radio is that there is a difference in writing for a free blog, club newsletter, or other venue provided free with membership in a club, organization, or just free for looking versus a publication that is for sale to the public. If a magazine asks technical writers to submit articles for paid publication, then they should pay. Period. It's a work-for-hire. Just like getting a new roof.

Frank
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »

> ... My two-cents on this in ham radio is that there is a difference ...

You are absolutely correct (and I am one who NEVER uses absolutes). But this is amateur radio, for gawd's sake. Yes,
I am sorry the original gentleman author didn't receive his promised/contracted fifty bucks. But he has enriched
the hobby ... he has added to the wealth of information out there for fellow hams ...

I just wouldn't have "announced" the negative scenario the same way, I guess. It just seemed that for THIS particular
topic - promoting amateur radio - I wouldn't publicly complain about a mag. But, then, where is "my" line crossed? (As
if anyone cared.) I suppose if this was an article describing unique circuits and submitting original schematics for a
project, then that may cross a line, and I might be upset if a contract for authorship was nor honored. But a general-
purpose amateur radio enhancement article like his - or my "Work the Amateur Satellites With Your Handheld Radio"
articles ... I dunno. THANK YOU for the civil discourse.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
909-241-7666 - cell

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »

When I write columns/articles on amateur radio topics, I do it for the love of the hobby - and not for a paycheck.

I have spoken to more than 70 clubs the past few years ... taking and setting up my own audio-visual equipment to each and every venue, and speaking to audiences ranging from 12 to 300 attendees. Only for two appearances did I ask for an "honorarium" to simply cover partial travel costs (driving a couple hundred miles each way).

So, seriously - weren't you and your friends jazzed when YOUR byline showed up in that edition of the magazine? Do something cool with it ... like donate a copy to your local library. Or get it to a middle or high school ham club for them to use. You are a PUBLISHED AUTHOR - whether or not they paid you. You HAVE done something cool for the amateur community-at-large. Keep it up! Want a thankless job? Volunteer to be the editor of one of your local clubs' newsletters ... You obviously like to write, and like to tell others of your experiences.

Please keep using your writing talents to educate others in this magnificent hobby!

Clint Bradford K6LCS

What a crock. First of all, what you do is your business. If these individuals made an agreement for compensation on writing articles, then they should be paid. If they agreed to do it for nothing, then they should not be paid. But to defend CQ because you would do it for free, is ridiculous.

They broke an agreement. And that is the bottom line. Nothing else matters.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 01:31:09 PM »

> ... My two-cents on this in ham radio is that there is a difference ...

You are absolutely correct (and I am one who NEVER uses absolutes). But this is amateur radio, for gawd's sake. Yes,
I am sorry the original gentleman author didn't receive his promised/contracted fifty bucks. But he has enriched
the hobby ... he has added to the wealth of information out there for fellow hams ...

I just wouldn't have "announced" the negative scenario the same way, I guess. It just seemed that for THIS particular
topic - promoting amateur radio - I wouldn't publicly complain about a mag. But, then, where is "my" line crossed? (As
if anyone cared.) I suppose if this was an article describing unique circuits and submitting original schematics for a
project, then that may cross a line, and I might be upset if a contract for authorship was nor honored. But a general-
purpose amateur radio enhancement article like his - or my "Work the Amateur Satellites With Your Handheld Radio"
articles ... I dunno. THANK YOU for the civil discourse.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
909-241-7666 - cell

Hey Clint, Do you know that this magazine charges subscribers $39 for an annual subscription? If you are so hell bent on volunteering survives because "Hell, this is ham radio!", then why the hell are you not taking up issue with CQ for charging $39 one year? Hate to break it to you, but they are likely trying to make money. And unless I am wrong, they are NOT non-profit.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »

>> ... They broke an agreement. And that is the bottom line. Nothing else matters.

An "attorney" reply - and entirely correct.

But when the day comes that I even think of DEMANDING to be paid for writing an article or
making a presentation for the betterment of the amateur radio hobby is the day I'll hang it up
and shut down the radios.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »

73 magazine used to be one of the best for paying for articles. I think as a result they had some of the best technical articles back in the 70's. I used to design and build a project for my own use on the air. Writing it up and getting paid a little for the article helped to cover a little of my cost.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 01:54:56 PM »

>> ... $39 for an annual subscription?

I only pay $26/annually for digital edition subscription. But this has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, really.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: