Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio Passband on Kenwood 950SDX  (Read 823 times)
N3PU

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2003, 08:44:17 AM »

I have just aquired a 950SDX and am still getting familiar with it's operation. I almost immediately connected my rascal digital interface to the the 13 pin DIN connector and my soundcard. I notice that my audio passband has a large dip in the middle like it is notched out. I use hamscope 1.51 and it gives a beautiful spectrum display with an ugly dip. I did have this setup connected to a FT-900 without the dip. Different cable was used to connect to the Yaesu.
My question is, am I missing something in the control of this rig? I have played with the VBT and slopes and I can see where they make a chage to the auido signal but they do not remove my dip. I also played with the notch, moving it around and I see it move up and down the spectrum but it does not affect my "special little" dip.
Thanks,
Steve
KF4HEY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 06:21:17 PM »

Steve,

How deep (in dB) is your 'special little' dip?  I am not familiar with the TS950SDX but mechanical or crystal filters are not flat top in their response and most will have a small but noticable dip somewhere in the passband.  My T-T Omni C has  two shallow dips (~10dB above the noise floor) in the 2.4KHz xtal filter.

You might try tuning the rig across a weak PSK31 signal and watch the signal level as it passes through the dip.  If the apparent signal strength does not change much, then the dip is superficial.

Mike KF4HEY
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2003, 04:51:47 PM »

I had a 950SDX, but not any longer.  I suspect the dip you're seeing is around 1600 Hz, right?  That's a result of having the "noise reduction" turned on, but can't recall how that was done, by switch or menu item.  I never did decipher just what the designers thought that function did, but it certainly did nothing to reduce the noise level.  If there's no switch, look carefully at the menus and turn off any functions that have to do with receive DSP.  The more I think about it, the more I believe that it was a menu item.  Maybe number 18?
N3PU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 07:13:57 PM »

I found the problem. It was one of the audio settings in the menu. Thanks for the help guys!
Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: