Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: psk31 frequencies off  (Read 9336 times)
KC2FZN

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:31:52 AM »

I'm running psk31 using Digipan through a signalink interface. My problem is i send out a cq and when someone answers it's not on my transmitted frequency. I have to look for someone coming back through all the signals showing up on the right side of the screen. How do i get the transmitted and receive on the same frequency?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:42:15 AM »

Two possibilities: your soundcard is not calibrated; their soundcard is not calibrated.  Having just operated, on PSL31, as a 13 Colonies Special Event station from SC, I can tell you that there a LOT of un-calibrated soundcards being used.  Tp calibrate the soundcard in MixW, I set the mode to SSTV and WWV mode.  I tune in a WWV broadcast and follow the instructions in the Help file.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »

It's also possible that your transceiver is not properly calibrated or that you have RIT or XIT turned on.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 03:32:18 AM »

It's also possible that your transceiver is not properly calibrated or that you have RIT or XIT turned on.

I'd bet on RIT or XIT.  Especially if the difference between your "send" frequency, and your "receive" frequency (on the waterfall), is constant.

.        Charles
KC2FZN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 04:18:56 AM »

Problem is solved. i'm using a signalink as an interface and found in the documentation that you need to set the sampling rate for it at 12000. Thanks for all the suggestions.
WD8FM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 09:10:21 PM »

Problem is solved. i'm using a signalink as an interface and found in the documentation that you need to set the sampling rate for it at 12000. Thanks for all the suggestions.

What documentation did you find to set the sampling rate for it at 12000 ?  I did not find that in the setup documentation I received from SignaLink USB.

WD8FM   Smiley
WT8E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 08:10:24 AM »

This is kind of along the same subject. I was using a laptop running Windiws 7 for PSK31 and everything was working fine.  I changed to another laptop that was running windows XP and was having problems on receive of leapfrogging to keep up with the QSO. After each Xmit when the station came back I could not copy  Rx until I moved the flag up in freq . Under Windows 7 the sampeling rate was 11025, I changed it to 12000  for Windows XP and older versions as per the Signaling web site and problem solved.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »

The sampling rate error problem is well-known, and is documented on the Tigertronics web site.  I'd give you the link, but the Tigertronics web site doesn't display internal links in the browser, so I'll just reproduce it below:

11025 Hz Sample Rate offset error - Due to a Windows system issue, some Windows ME, 2000 and XP computers may show an abnormal sample rate offset error of around 7000 ppm at the 11025 Hz sample rate (other sample rates are NOT affected).  If this offset error occurs on your computer, it can result in your transmit (modulation) frequency being off from your receive frequency. When operating digital modes, this can manifest itself in several different ways.  With PSK31, other stations may not respond when you answer their CQ, or they may respond but say that you are off frequency.  It can also result in both you and the person that you're talking to "walking" across the waterfall as each of you corrects your tuning after each transmission.  On MT63, this problem can result in other stations not being able to copy you, or they receive your text in lower or upper case only, or certain characters such as spaces are missing.

This issue can be easily resolved in virtually all cases by simply changing the sample rate in your communication program from 11025 Hz to 12000 Hz.  It's important to note that changing the sample rate will NOT hurt anything if this problem doesn't exist on your computer, so if you're not sure, we suggest changing it just to avoid the issue.  Also, other standard sample rates (8000, 22050, 44.1, etc.) work just fine and do not need to be changed.  It should also be noted that Windows 98SE and Windows Vista systems never show this offset error.

I've experienced this  problem, and can attest to the fact that the fix described above works.  Since this seems to be a Windows problem, I assume the fix would also work for other hardware interfaces.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: