Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i see 2 PSK streams from the same station  (Read 4859 times)
KM4IY

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2013, 04:54:47 AM »

at times, and a day or two ago, i actually saw one station with THREE.   i'm curious what causes this to happen?  i wonder if I'm doing it too?  if i am, how can i prevent it?

thanks....
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:04:09 AM »

Sometimes if your RX gain (volume) is set too high, the software will show "images" of the original.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:36:51 AM »

Back when I was first licensed I noticed the same effect.  Was using a borrowed rig, and I'd see multiple images of the same station across the waterfall.  I'm still using that same soundcard and computer, but never noticed it again after I replaced the rig.  Never gave it much thought as I didn't use that rig much and it was replaced.  Not sure how you're routing your audio but might try routing a different way or at different levels and see if that helps.  Wish I could be more help as I do recall it being annoying.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »

I agree with NA4IT.  If the audio input to the soundcard is too high and it's clipping, you could be seeing original signal and one or more of its audio harmonics.

Don, K2DC
KM4IY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »

perhaps, but at the moment, my rx audio is showing 35% and i see a station with a stream at approx (1550) 14.070.550 and another at approx (2950) 14.071.950.  i can't say abt the other times because i've not looked at the audio, but i don't haven't had the need to change it so it stays like this most of the time.

N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »

Are the streams identical...do they start/stop at the same moments in time?

I suppose it's possible to send two independent audio signals through a relatively wide bandwidth in such a way to have simultaneous QSOs, but the streams would be independent in behavior.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:10:36 AM »

Make sure noise blanker is OFF
KM4IY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »

Are the streams identical...do they start/stop at the same moments in time?

I suppose it's possible to send two independent audio signals through a relatively wide bandwidth in such a way to have simultaneous QSOs, but the streams would be independent in behavior.

i'm remembering they were the same, but i can't be 100% sure about it right now, i didn't analyze them that closely.  i'll take a better/closer look next time i'm on the air and see them.

it really doesn't matter, i'm only curious...
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 09:12:03 AM »

I have seen this many times from one station in the South Pacific having 2 or more signals in the waterfall. He is simply using too much audio and power since I see others calling him on the ghosts images along with his primary signal so I know it was not my receiver. He is the only one I have ever seen this on.

Roland AH6RR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: