Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 718 tuner any good?  (Read 4426 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2013, 02:39:36 PM »

Icom 718

http://www.aesham.com/hf/icom-ic-718/

Splash ads say it has an AH-4 tuner built into it.

Does it come with the rig? Is it worth a darn?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »

I didn't see that, and I don't see how it an have an AH-4 tuner built into it, as the tuner is about as big as the radio is.

The AH-4 is an optional external accessory for $299.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 03:18:52 PM »

It's only the optional external AH-4 CONTROL circuitry that's built into the rig.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »

It's only the optional external AH-4 CONTROL circuitry that's built into the rig.

Ah that makes sense, not very clear on the advert. Many thanks.
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »

The rig is a pretty good entry level rig but kind of old now.
Don't depend on built in tuners these rigs have either to tune very much in the way of SWR.
Get a good external tuner you have an antenna that will need to be tuned to operate on multiple frequencies.
You could spend a little more than what AES wants for that new IC-718 and pick up a Yaesu FT-450D new or get one used.
There are also a lot of now discontinued Yaesu FT-950s for sale used. I have one and really like it.
And if you don't know the FT-450 is a small radio while the FT-950 is rather large.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 04:12:48 PM »

I don't think the IC-718 has any tuner built into it. It has the standard Icom control circuitry for the Icom AH-4 remote tuner. The AH-4 is a good tuner but it is intended to be placed outside, with an end-fed wire antenna and a ground radial system. LDG makes a tuner intended to be used inside that is also compatible with the Icom AH-4 control circuitry. The decision should be based on what type of antenna(s) you plan to use. Of course the radio can also be used with many manual and automatic tuners that don't require the AH-4 control circuitry.

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 05:09:33 AM »

I've owned Icom gear almost exclusively over the years, including the 718.  Don't buy one. They've been in production for a very long time and have to be near the end of their life cycle.  The radio is fine, but very, very simple.  For just a little more money, you can get a much newer design from Yaesu or Icom that will be light years ahead of the 718 in performance and features.  Again, it's fine, but you can do much better for not much more cash
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: