Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can an ICOM AT-130 Antenna Tuner be used with a vertical?  (Read 787 times)
KB0TXC

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:44:33 AM »

Hi,

Can an ICOM AT-130 Antenna Tuner be used with a vertical antenna? I realize that it was designed for a random wire antenna. Just wondering if I could use this unit at the base of my 4BTV rather than a balun (which I have the DX-Engineering one).

Thanks again,

Joe KB0TXC
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:46:27 AM »

Icom AT-130 SERVICE MANUAL (KO4BB Manual Repository)
http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/ICOM/AT-130_AT-140_Service_Manual.pdf

Icom AT-130 INSTRUCTION MANUAL (Icom Global Support)
http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/AT-130_Eng_4.pdf

The Icom AT-130 Antenna Tuner was designed for Icom HF marine radio service.
There are specific electrical lengths of the vertical mast or vertical wire  that must be avoided with the AT-130 tuner.
This is outlined on Page 1, with the mathematical formulas for your calculations.

The Hustler 4-BTV Four-band Trapped 1/4-wave antenna is NOT an ideal vertical radiator
for this AT-130 tuner -- due to the L-C traps on this antenna to achieve multi-band operation.
You would be better off with a single vertical radiator (like the 33 or 43 foot masts) with the AT-130 tuner.

Properly installed with an adequate radial field, the Hustler 4-BTV is a good antenna.
IF you are trying to operate on 160 or 80 meters -- THEN you are likely frustrated with limited bandwidth of vertical radiators.  The loudest stations on those bands have REAL ESTATE for the antenna length required at these longer HF wavelengths.
===
Just wondering if I could use this unit at the base of my 4BTV rather than a balun (which I have the DX-Engineering one).
Some additional reading about Antennas (Traps, matching) would make this easier for you.

ANTENNA SYSTEMS in the 21st century urban environment are compromises.
You can easily burn through hundreds of dollars -- not knowing the bands that you desire to operate, what HF antenna you want, or not appreciating the limitations that antenna compromises cause to fit into available space.

SELL the item you don't need or want, the 4-BTV or AT-130.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:59:51 AM by W9GB » Logged
KB0TXC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »

Hi W9GB,

Thank you for answering my question.

I have had the 4BTV for years. Good for receiving the amateur bands, and will use to xmt after I take my general this month. It was a real PIA to dismantle and move. I was just asking about the AT, which I do not own. A friend offered a used one to me for some favors that I afforded him at one time in the past. I am not trying to do eighty meters on the 4BTV, just up to forty. As far as radials, I am just now finishing the lightning radial (buried) system, and will next be installing the ground plain radials (stapled on top of the ground). There will be 120 of those about 35 feet long. I bit the bullet and bought the wire and bare crimp lugs that I will also silver solder. I go slow on my antenna projects as I have limited energy levels.

As far as real estate, I live in the outback. If you checked the FCC database, it is out date, I have moved; I no longer  live in Gladstone MO; and they haven't updated my new address. I have acres to play antenna with for the first time in my life. Next antenna will be a beverage along the back property line... only six foot high, easy to work on, but long. As far as reading about antenna theory, I am doing as much as that as I can. Very few articles on phased verticals in QST (I think I have them all). I am no antenna expert, that is why I ask a lot of questions. The 4BTV will be the first up (other than my random wire that I have already installed) as I already have the mounting pole in the ground along with the afore mentioned lightning radials; next will be the Beverage late this year when allergies are low and the neighbor's horses are away for the winter. (I don't want to scare them with the auger, they are nice animals.) After that, it is a toss of a coin... either a homebrewed W2FMI short forty meter vertical with huge capacity hat, or a triangular phased array (homebrewed again). Depends on funds, how far away I want to put it, price of coax, my energy level, whether or not the tractor is running, etc & etc. My XYL actually encourages my radio activity, and doesn't mind the antennas, electromechanical Teletypes in the guest room, nor the 1A2 phone system that I have run throughout the entire house, complete with the 16 button Call Director in the QTH and the overhead PA. (Best phone system in the world, bar none!)

I doubt that I will ever work 160 meters as that requires truly large antennas. I do not want any towers on my property, they scare me. Just relatively short (quarter wavelength), light verticals or wires. As far as burning through lots of money, aside from the 4BTV and accessories that I purchased years ago, most everything else antenna wise is built from found parts, eBay finds, scrap yards, etc (wire not withstanding) and small farm store purchases. (My VHF /UHF antennas look like an insane plumber with a torch and copper fittings built them... Roll Eyes)

Thank you again for the response!

Joe KB0TXC
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 04:35:23 AM »

Quote from: KB0TXC
I have acres to play antenna with for the first time in my life.
Next antenna will be a beverage along the back property line
Is this amateur radio heaven?  

No, its Rural America.
===
Ah the Bell 1A2.  I was offered a surplus one decades ago.  The 25-pair wiring takes time!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: