Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New 135' delta loop and I worked all over Europe tonight  (Read 2776 times)
KK4RXN

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:36:11 PM »

This hobby is getting to be more fun all the time - after reading a lot about delta loops I put up a horizontal delta loop that is at most 15' in my trees. It is made up of 135' of 12 gauge Lowe's wire tied into 300 ohm ladder line going into an MFJ 949 tuner.

My TS-820 was giving me trouble after replacing the driver tube so I hooked up the Yaesu FT-757GX. In a couple of hours I worked Russia, Lillehammer, Lithuania and another Republic.

For a 2-month ham rookie I am feeling good and plan to try out even more antennas after the Norcal dipole and this loop work so well. Thanks to all of you for such a great resource!

---------------

Barry
KK4RXN
Jeremiah 29:11-13 / John 3:16
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 05:52:26 AM »

Barry, it sounds like you've got a good antenna there!   I used horizontal loops for years and always had great luck with them.  At this rate, you're going to have your first DXCC logged in no time!  Smiley  73!  -ken
KK4RXN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 05:58:50 AM »

Let's hope!

---------------

Barry
KK4RXN
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 06:59:45 AM »

I worked Russia, Lillehammer, Lithuania and another Republic.

20m?

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
KK4RXN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 07:05:18 AM »

I worked Russia, Lillehammer, Lithuania and another Republic.

20m?

Exactly. The Russia contact was also somewhere around 18.12.

---------------

Barry
KK4RXN
KK4RXN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 04:19:59 AM »

Still working well - first 2 contacts last night were to Italy and Venezuela.

---------------

Barry
KK4RXN
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 05:14:32 AM »

This hobby is getting to be more fun all the time - after reading a lot about delta loops I put up a horizontal delta loop that is at most 15' in my trees. It is made up of 135' of 12 gauge Lowe's wire tied into 300 ohm ladder line going into an MFJ 949 tuner.

My TS-820 was giving me trouble after replacing the driver tube so I hooked up the Yaesu FT-757GX. In a couple of hours I worked Russia, Lillehammer, Lithuania and another Republic.

For a 2-month ham rookie I am feeling good and plan to try out even more antennas after the Norcal dipole and this loop work so well. Thanks to all of you for such a great resource!

Great job! 15 feet? That is the biggest problem for people with this antenna. Hanging it a proper height. All kinds of factors like, trees, and such make it such a pain. What is the minimum height for a loop to be effective across HF?
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 08:04:55 AM »

What is the minimum height for a loop to be effective across HF?

Depends on the definition of "effective". KK4RXN's 15' height on 20m is close to 1/4WL and the loop is 2WL long. If fed in the center of one of the elements, EZNEC sez it has a maximum gain of 5 dBi at a TOA of 45 degrees. At a 17 degree elevation angle, it has a gain of 0 dBi which is better than a 1/4WL ground mounted monopole.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »

What is the minimum height for a loop to be effective across HF?

Depends on the definition of "effective". KK4RXN's 15' height on 20m is close to 1/4WL and the loop is 2WL long. If fed in the center of one of the elements, EZNEC sez it has a maximum gain of 5 dBi at a TOA of 45 degrees. At a 17 degree elevation angle, it has a gain of 0 dBi which is better than a 1/4WL ground mounted monopole.

I never thought of it that way. I was always thinking of the lowest band. In this case he is going to do well on 20M.

Wish I had some trees.
KK4RXN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:16:17 AM »

Believe me - I tried incredibly hard Saturday to get this thing up higher, but between weighted tennis balls, fishing weights, casting with a rod and even trying to get everything up with a slingshot, I still had a hard time getting it any higher.

If my tree trimmer guy comes back in the neighborhood, I'm definitely getting him to get that bucket truck up in the air and I'll for sure get them higher then!

I'm still having a lot of fun, though. I'm not blowing anybody out of the water with this antenna, but I'm definitely getting through. I may have to call a few times in pileups, but I still get through eventually. Pretty nice!

---------------

Barry
KK4RXN
NI3S

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »

Excellent reports for a homebrew antenna!! 

Thanks for being a new guy not afraid to build, especially and antenna.  Sounds like your setup is not a bank buster and gives great performance on at least one workable band.  You should consider a little write up about how you built it, what pieces and parts are involved and maybe a general break down of the costs.  Back that up with your list of contacts and it would be an interesting read. 
LA3AKA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 11:40:54 PM »

Hi Barry,
First Congratulation with your Ham License. Building your own antennas sure is great fun.  I'm using a homebrew ZS6BKW antenna about 10m above ground, and my best DX so far is VK7AC on 40m running 100W. From my QTH to his QTH the distance is 16700km.  I'm now planning to build som rotatable Dipoles for 10-20M bands. hopefully I will get them up in the air before the autumn storms  Smiley . Good luck with your DX-ing and antenna building.  Hope to hear you on the air.

73, and God bless

LA3AKA, Johnny
KK4RXN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 05:08:42 AM »

Excellent reports for a homebrew antenna!! 

Thanks for being a new guy not afraid to build, especially and antenna.  Sounds like your setup is not a bank buster and gives great performance on at least one workable band.  You should consider a little write up about how you built it, what pieces and parts are involved and maybe a general break down of the costs.  Back that up with your list of contacts and it would be an interesting read. 

Thanks very much! It's actually been very easy so far - the hardest part has been trying to use the MFJ tuner to tune some of the wire antennas - but it's much cheaper than trying to do anything with beam antennas. I bought one of the beam antenna books to see what I might be able to build, and I may try a Moxon antenna one of these days. My neighbors are going to get tired of seeing so much wire up in the air...

---------------

Barry
KK4RXN
KK4RXN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 05:10:15 AM »

Hi Barry,
First Congratulation with your Ham License. Building your own antennas sure is great fun.  I'm using a homebrew ZS6BKW antenna about 10m above ground, and my best DX so far is VK7AC on 40m running 100W. From my QTH to his QTH the distance is 16700km.  I'm now planning to build som rotatable Dipoles for 10-20M bands. hopefully I will get them up in the air before the autumn storms  Smiley . Good luck with your DX-ing and antenna building.  Hope to hear you on the air.

73, and God bless

LA3AKA, Johnny

Thanks very much, Johnny! I wish I had more acreage - maybe I'll see what I can do at my Aunt's house one of these days out in the country. I could throw some serious dipoles up out there, but I'm only there once in a while.

That's pretty incredible about your DX contact! Hope I'll hear you out there as well.

---------------

Barry
KK4RXN
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 06:32:05 AM »

Hi Berry,

Congrats on the new home brew antenna working good.
Congrats on up gradding to general class also.
I am studding for my general test and love to listen to the DX stations on 40 meters.

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:38:26 AM by KD4TVB » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: