Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you use a G5RV with Alinco EDX-2 external antenna tuner?  (Read 3492 times)
VE5EIS

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »

Hi,

I'm an Alinco DX-SR8T user and have the external EDX-2 antenna tuner.  This tuner is an automatic antenna tuner that is designed to work with a random wire antenna.  (I tested it with one last night and it works great, actually.)

My intention was to use it with a G5RV here at home.  However, the only antenna connection is a terminal with a butterfly nut, designed to accept a longwire antenna.  In fact, the instructions warn against making a coax connection.

Am I able to use a G5RV with this tuner?  If so, would I only connect the centre pin or what would I do?

Thanks, and apologies if this is an elementary question.  I'm still new!

Thanks,

Jim
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »

Try it with the antenna coax center conductor on the tuner antenna screw and the shield connected to the tuner ground terminal.
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 01:03:38 PM »

Terrific - thank you.
KJ3N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »

The better option is to remove the coax section and just use the twin lead strapped across the EDX-2.
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »

This article may help if you are thinking of using twin or balanced line:

http://home.comcast.net/~hamlakemn/AH-4_General_Information.html

The EDX-2 is very similar to the AH-4, has 160 coverage, higher power rating, slight difference in the molex connector and pin wiring between the two, but otherwise they are interchangeable. It is rumored that Alinco subcontract manufacture of the EDX-2 to guess who, but I can't confirm that.

The problem you may have is that this kind of tuner is designed for single ended or unbalanced antennas. If you use balanced feeder then you must 'float' the tuner from ground. You may have RF feedback via the coax or control cable, but this can sometimes be controlled by inserting baluns or ferrite clamps.

Another possibility is to insert a balun of this kind between the balanced feeder and the tuner:

http://www.balundesigns.com/servlet/the-98/isolation-choke-balun-common/Detail

Going back to your original post, if you are using coax, then you should not ground the tuner, otherwise your G5RV will in effect be a loop with one side grounded! The instruction leaflet emphasises the fact the tuner must be grounded, this is for both transmission and safety reasons.

All in all, while you may find the tuner works in your particular application, it is not ideal for this use and not what the tuner is designed for doing.
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 05:32:52 PM »

If this is not the optimal tuner for the application, can you recommend one that will work well with a G5RV - particularly one that I can run from the radio controls?
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 06:45:57 PM »

... can you recommend one that will work well with a G5RV ...

Any unbalanced wide-range tuner will work well with a G5RV on 80m, 40m, 20m, and 12m. Not so well on 15m. Not well at all on 30m, 17m, and 10m. When I ran a G5RV, I used an MFJ-949E tuner.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: