Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay bidding  (Read 5826 times)
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »

I had some good info to post in this thread, but I have to run over to eBay and make sure that I won a PHOTOCOPY of the Yaesu FT-60R four-page advertisement brochure that a respected eBay merchant is selling for only $8.00 - instead of downloading the exact same brochure from Yaesu's site, I can snag one off of eBay!

I am serious. I refuse to give the auction number here ...

I have to admit, I have - in the past - gotten caught up in eBay madness. But when I see items selling for MUCH more on eBay than they are selling for down the road at Ham Radio Outlet, I just wonder how some sellers live with themselves.

Clint K6LCS

IT takes a BUYER and a seller to complete the transaction. 

If I have a WhizBang Model 123C that I know is worth $100 and the bidders drive the price to $175, it is not my fault and, I can reap the rewards of their faulty judgement, without a care in the world.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »

LOL I just won a bid on something I don't even remember bidding on. I set such a low price on it I had forgot about it  Tongue

Cantenna for 10 bucks.

But .. I got geeked on the shipping  Angry
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »

I have been buying and selling on EBay for more then 10 years. The last second bid is called a snipe. If you want to bid, set a price you are willing to pay and let EBay do the automatic bidding for you. This way you will not overpay for something. If I find something I want to buy. I set a price. Bid it, and then do not come back till the bidding is over. If I win I get the item at my price (or less). If not I move on to the next one (there are usually many of the same items up for bid, so if you miss one you could win the next). After the auction is over check the sold item for a few days. Some bidders decide not to pay, and if you had the next highest bid you might still get the item. I have one just about my whole ham station and most of my test equipment on EBay (except my transceiver and my antenna which I bought new). I was lucky because everything I bought was exactly as described. Buying and selling on EBay is fun if you do not take it to seriously. If done right you can usually get the item you want at the price you want to pay. Do it wrong and it could be very aggravating and expensive. Also items from China and overseas are very good deals. The companies I have dealt with are reliable. Have good products with warrentees, and shipping only takes 2 weeks or less.

As a note watch the shipping cost. Some sellers put a very low price on the item, and the rob you with the shipping.

73s

K2OWK
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 02:08:34 AM »

No need to sit and watch with your finger "on the trigger" to place a last-second bid.

Use a "sniping" service like Auction Sniper: http://www.auctionsniper.com/

You indicate the highest bid that you want to make -- and in the final seconds it automatically places the lowest bid needed to win, up to the limit you've set.

I do not see how this could be possible.
The software has no idea what the highest bid will be, they may get away with using the "Lowest bid needed" for 99% of the auction but in those last 20 seconds it has only one chance to win and that is to bet the limit. Any other attempt leaves it wide open to a snipe attack with no time to recover. IOW it's no better than just directly bidding your maximum at the very start.
I would go further and say that's probably exactly what it's doing, just entering your max bid the same way you can do it directly on eBay except with this method they lure you in to see their web page adds and they make some money.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:17:29 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »

No need to sit and watch with your finger "on the trigger" to place a last-second bid.

Use a "sniping" service like Auction Sniper: http://www.auctionsniper.com/

You indicate the highest bid that you want to make -- and in the final seconds it automatically places the lowest bid needed to win, up to the limit you've set.

I do not see how this could be possible.

I have not idea exactly how it works -- but it does.
I've won lots of items using it.
And Auction Sniper and similar services are very popular.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: