Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TM-G707A display question  (Read 2632 times)
W7EGL

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »

I have a TM-G707A that has suddenly had a blinking 4 pop up beside the Low power indicator on the display screen. Two changes I have noticed is the dim control does not seem to be working and on power up it always goes to the VFO and not to the last operational setting. Otherwise it seems to be working okay. Just curious if anyone has experienced the same thing and if it led to problems down the road. I just bought the radio used from an older ham that unfortunately can't see well enough to stay in her home anymore.
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »

I can not create that problem in my TM-G707,  nor can I find reference to any small number that is NEXT to the L  low power indicator.   Have you tried a full CPU reset?  Very puzzling.  you might also check and perhaps clean the contacts that mate the control head to the radio.

Ed   K7AAT
W7EGL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »

I will try cleaning the contacts. I called Kenwood and they were not very encouraging except to tell me to send it in for service. I could find nothing in the manual about the blinking number either. Does yours revert to the VFO on power up or does it remain in the same setting as when you shut off the power?
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:41:19 PM »

Don't know what else to suggest.  Hope that cleaning the contacts helps.   Perhaps taking the control head partially apart, then re-tightening all the PC board screws??   I have never seen any of my past three TM-G707's shoe any number where you are describing.  Also,  my radios are always connected to 12v so even though I turn them off,  there is always power at the imput jack.   I believe they always come up on the same place I lest them.

KB2VUQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »

One of 2 things...both of which are normal and included features of a properly working
Kenwood TMG-707a. It's all in the manual...

Most likely, this is the culprit.
Since you say its a blinking 4 next to the low power selector (L) , you are probably selecting Programmable Memory Profile #4. There are 4 of those available, should 4 people use the same radio and each have different preferences. To change the PM Channels:

Press the [PM] button (right below the on/off) button. 

Now, look at the 4 buttons in between the VFO knob and VOL/SQ knob.
The display above those buttons should now read 1,2,3,4. Try selecting #1 by pushing the button below it. Most people use PM profile 1.

You can shut off that feature from automatically turning on by:

Press [MENU] to enter the main menu. Select Menu #6.
You want to select PMATOFF to disable it, then press ok to exit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most likely, this isn't the culprit.
The other thing that would cause a blinking 4 near the (L) low power indicator on the display, (not the Low power selector) would be Menu item #4. If that is the case it would either display ALL or ONE, ALL should be selected.   
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 04:38:31 PM »

Hmmmmm.  KB2VUQ raises a likely possibility.   I have never used the PM feature in any of the TM G707s that I have owned.   I went through the manual looking for any control panel picture with a small number located where the original poster indicated where the little 4 was located and found nothing.   Now I am out of town but will look again for the PM feature when I return home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: