Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brand new not quite a HAM and questions on initial gear setup.  (Read 6851 times)
JRSTEENSEN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 09:47:02 AM »

You are not even licensed yet.  Why not get licensed first and get your feet wet before you jump into all this expenditure.  If you still insist on jumping in head first then at least buy a Scorpion screw driver antenna.  Better than a tar heel or hi q and the best built screwdriver on the market with the best guarantee.  In fact (and I can't think of any other) the only one that is guaranteed for as long as you own it.  As long as you don't screw it up or break it.  The IC 7000 is a great radio for mobil HF with the Scorpion and yes you can mount it onto your truck.  Send me an email and I'll send you some pics of how I (and others) did mine.  I am good on QRZd dot com.  The SAR radios should be given to you by the Sherrif's Office if you are doing volunteer SAR work for them and the SAR team is using the S.O. frequencies and not ham frequencies. 

73 es gud luck
Rick  WN2C

Disclaimer: I do not have any thing to do with Scorpion Antennas.  I am just a very, very satisfied customer!!

I'm not licensed yet. But does it hurt to put together a solid plan? I'm big on the buy once, cry once theory. Maybe not buy the most expensive, but try to buy the best I can reasonably afford.

I'm going to purchase everything in phases. I'll do the IC-7000, with VHF/UHF to start.

I was definately looking at the scorpion antennas as well. If that seems to be the common consensus, that is the way I'll go.

Loaner SAR radios are available on missions, but since I usually beat the command truck there, I'm usually in the field with the initial hasty search team by the time they arrive. There are no mobile radios available to volunteers. We are using the S.O. freqs.

Thanks!

John

BTW, Rick, your email address is hidden. Feel free to email me at john[DOT]steensen[AT]live[DOT]com
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 12:48:09 AM »

JRSTEENSEN, sent you a PM
KD5RGJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 10:24:52 AM »

where are you located?
KD5RGJ
SPENCER HUDSON
JRSTEENSEN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »

Sierra Vista, AZ
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »

Did you get the pics I sent you?

Rick  WN2C
JRSTEENSEN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 09:16:05 AM »

Rick, I sure did. Sorry for forgetting to email you back - I spent about 18 hours over the weekend diagnosing an issue with my low beams on the Blazer.

Pretty nifty! I appreciate the info.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 11:04:51 AM »

I'll get some pics of mine and send them to you so you can see what I meant in the email. 

Rick WN2C
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: