Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are people paying these Crazy prices on eBay?  (Read 61546 times)
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »

Sitting at your computer is not necessary to bid on and win an item on EBay. Just indicate your maximum bid to EBay and they will bid for you. If bidding starts at $10.00 and you are willing to pay $100.00. Simply bid the $100.00 and EBay will step up the bid one bid at a time. If the bid goes to $75.00. This is what you will pay if the bid closes at this price. If it goes over the $100.00 you will lose the bid, but this would be the maximum you would pay for the item. It is called automatic bidding. I hope this explanes the process.

73s

K2OWK 

And avoid bids that end in even numbers like $100.00. Unless you're really set on no more than $100, put in $102.5 or so. That way if someone else bids up to 100 and stops you'll still have a chance.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »

What were the better (buying) deals for everyone and was it Buy It Now or Auction?

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 02:59:08 PM »

What were the better (buying) deals for everyone and was it Buy It Now or Auction?

I think the 'buy it now' deals are--if the price is right.  I usually know how much I'm willing to spend, and I'll look for the deals on that basis and the condition first.  I avoid anything that has 'stock' photos, since unless the item is new, I want to see what I'm buying.  Yes, I know that someone could switch the picture (right now, Radio Mart comes to mind--that guy is famous for doing that) but I've never been disappointed yet.

My thought is that a person selling for a 'buy it now' price knows what he wants to get and doesn't want to bother dickering around and waiting for an auction to end.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 07:27:54 PM »

I have found that there is no set rule on buy it now versus an auction.  If I need it right away and the price is ok I use buy it now, but if I am not in a rush it will all depend on what the search results come up with.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 10:25:57 PM »

A little while back I found an Icom 2100h for $135. I paid $125 for mine NEW 10 years ago!

The bad thing is, whenever I sell something, I can hardly get anything for it. If I sold my 2100 I'd be lucky to get $50 for it. But if I'm the one buying, whatever I want is going for a premium.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 05:55:24 AM »

...The bad thing is, whenever I sell something, I can hardly get anything for it. If I sold my 2100 I'd be lucky to get $50 for it. But if I'm the one buying, whatever I want is going for a premium.

Hey!  Me too....   Grin
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »

Unless your a GOTTA have it today guy why even bother with eBay? Instead use your local state Craig's List.Most any ham related item will show up either directly or indirectly through contact with ham radio sell/buy posters. Sacrifice a Saturday and some gas, go see touch smell and a lot of cases operate the item then make your best deal, put in your car and drive home happy with no reason to bitch afterwards. If distance is a problem we often meet halfway at a local McDonalds parking lot.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 02:04:45 PM »

And the "Stupid Ham Radio Auction" of the week prize goes to..........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-78-PA-78PA-Hf-Linear-Amplifier-Original-Box-SCARCE-Amp-/181113737330?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Amplifiers&hash=item2a2b385072#ht_305wt_926

Yes folks it's real and it has 6 watchers  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

$125 for a beat up old looking Box !!  IMO it's very clear you should stay far away from this seller.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »

If one has a desire to own this box, and can afford it, then one would be happy to see this fine box become available.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 04:15:47 PM »

At those prices I could make a living making fake boxes with all the original labeling.  All I would need is one original box and I could scan in the art work and make transfers iron on's with a Laser Jet printer. Then put them onto a box of the exact dimensions and with the same quality cardboard.   Hmmmm make ten of them and that's $1000 in my pocket LOL.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 02:52:26 PM »

Here's another funny one.
http://www.eBay.com/itm/Ten-Tec-Hercules-444-Amateur-Ham-Radio-Amplifier-1-KW-As-is-for-Repair-or-Parts-/231034114762?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Amplifiers&hash=item35cab4d2ca#ht_4300wt_1164

This Amplifier sat at $50 for 3 day and yesterday with no bids the auction expired.
The Seller re-listed it about 1 hour later and he did over the description wording. On the first auction he made it clear this was a heap of Junk.

Here is what he said:

"This auction is for a used Ten-Tec Hercules 444 Solid State HF Amplifier. This amp was part of an estate and is not in working order. This amp is being sold AS junk, For parts only. We know for sure it is not working. It may not be wroth fixing. It may be missing parts. It is not working and being sold as Junk. It is dirty and dusty and beat up looking. It is being offered as a Tech Special or for parts only. It is being sold AS IS with no returns accepted on this item. The power supply for this amp is listed as a separate item on Ebay"

When he put it up the second time he reworded it:

"This auction is for a used Ten-Tec Hercules 444 Solid State HF Amplifier. This amp was part of an estate and is not in working order. There are some cables that are unplugged inside as if someone had been trouble shooting a problem. It may have major problems, parts missing or may be an easy fix. We know for sure it is not working. It is being offered as a Tech Special or for parts only. It is being sold AS IS with no returns accepted on this item. The power supply for this amp is listed as a separate item on Ebay. It is dirty and dusty and beat up"

By some "miracle"  Wink within a few minutes of it being re-listed a $50 Bid came in right away  Grin  Now it's gone past $200  Roll Eyes   Does any of the bidders know that you can't get the finals for this amp or that Ten Tec themselves say it cannot be repaired by substitute parts ??

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »

That would be dishonest, unless you were to disclose that the boxes are reproductions and not original boxes. You would still probably get some buyers. I've seen lots of equipment boxes sold on eBay to people who are likely turning around and selling some equipment "in the box". It generally tends to increase the final value by around 15%, sometimes more.
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »

KD8MJR look again.  The seller has two of these.  Both listings are active. 
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 11:35:50 AM »

KD8MJR look again.  The seller has two of these.  Both listings are active. 

Thanks for the heads up, your right.  The only strange thing left is that they are using the same photo for both of them?
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2013, 03:55:53 AM »

I think Deflation is finally kicking in. Used to be that Suckers were a dime a dozen, now they are a Penny a dozen and the birth rate for same seems to have increased from one a minute to three or four.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: