Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are people paying these Crazy prices on eBay?  (Read 58489 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »

Just looked around eBay to see what a FT-857D would be selling for USED and I notice that people are bidding $630+ for this radio USED!!

You can get a brand new one at HRO with free shipping for $776 after the $50 rebate. Just to save $146 people are willing to get a radio that is several years old, may have been rattled around in a car for years and has had God knows what else done to it just so they can get a 18% discount off of buying a new Rig with Warranty!  Amazing!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:32:02 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 03:50:44 AM »

Once again as noted in previous topics of same. Basic auction strategy, in your particular field of interest bid to win on the first couple of items in the hope that when something you really want shows up later others will remember and think you will pay anything and not bid against you.Of course there is the other strategy, use a shill which is unethical, often illegal but never the less frequently done. Obviously this can get real interesting when two or more bidders are all using the same strategies. Let the person with the deepest pockets win.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:44:28 AM »

Just looked around eBay to see what a FT-857D would be selling for USED and I notice that people are bidding $630+ for this radio USED!!

You can get a brand new one at HRO with free shipping for $776 after the $50 rebate. Just to save $146 people are willing to get a radio that is several years old, may have been rattled around in a car for years and has had God knows what else done to it just so they can get a 18% discount off of buying a new Rig with Warranty!  Amazing!

Remember the old saying "You can't fix stupid"  Grin
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 02:14:05 PM »

Once again as noted in previous topics of same. Basic auction strategy, in your particular field of interest bid to win on the first couple of items in the hope that when something you really want shows up later others will remember and think you will pay anything and not bid against you.Of course there is the other strategy, use a shill which is unethical, often illegal but never the less frequently done. Obviously this can get real interesting when two or more bidders are all using the same strategies. Let the person with the deepest pockets win.

I agree that happens in some cases but look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightly-Used-Yaesu-FT-857D-Transceiver-with-New-Separation-Kit-/231028647505?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item35ca616651#ht_90wt_1421

First Bidder offers $775 + $12 shipping  Huh Huh
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 04:58:52 AM »

Could well be that he bought it for more and is trying to sell it for what he thinks is fair--to him.  Not everybody buys at the lowest prices, some just don't shop around and grab the first thing they look at.

BUT...  In general, I agree with you.  Prices on E-bay (Why do you think some call it E-Pay) are sometimes outrageous.  You do have to shop around to get the best price.  To some people, however, their time is worth more to them than the extra amount they pay by NOT shopping around.
KD0WDH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 07:15:39 AM »

There are certain items that I shop for on Fleabay. They are somewhat rare, specialized, or have minimum buy limits on average retail sites. I never bid in auctions, as I have found it to be a waste of time and money. I won't purchase large ticket items either, such as radios, audio gear, and so on. Too much risk Imho.

Cheers,
Shawn
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 01:33:02 PM »

Could well be that he bought it for more and is trying to sell it for what he thinks is fair--to him.  Not everybody buys at the lowest prices, some just don't shop around and grab the first thing they look at.

BUT...  In general, I agree with you.  Prices on E-bay (Why do you think some call it E-Pay) are sometimes outrageous.  You do have to shop around to get the best price.  To some people, however, their time is worth more to them than the extra amount they pay by NOT shopping around.

I agree but man are those people stupid!   I see NIB FT-857D being sold for Near $1000 on eBay and I just can't imagine how stupid you would have to be to buy that.   Anybody who goes to eBay should first get an exact price on what it sells for new and then figure what they are willing to pay for it second hand in perfect condition and use that number as the Max and then take off more money if the item is in less then mint condition.   Personally I will not go past 60% of the NIB price on anything that is still in production.

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 03:35:14 PM »

I paid $630, shipped, for a brand new FT-857D a couple of years ago on eBay.

A good used one these days is worth $630. As for, "rattled around in a car for years and has had God knows what else done to it", you have to look at the seller history, feedback and also pictures of the rig. If those are questionable or not available, then don't buy it. Simple as that.

Just 7 days ago, a set consisting of a "Yaesu FT-857D with LDG YT100 tuner and LDG meter all only used 1 time" went for $680. If I had been shopping for one then, I'd have snapped that up.

$600 seems to be about the floor on used 857D's right now. That's just the way it is.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 05:59:28 PM »

Saving 18% on a item that is several years old and out of warranty is just crazy.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »

Saving 18% on a item that is several years old and out of warranty is just crazy.

Expecting owners to take a 50% loss on a perfectly good 5 year old radio that is still in current production is not realistic, unless the radio is visibly or functionally faulty.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 07:39:36 PM »

I would say more like 30-40% less is within reason.
There are not many items on planet earth that are still in production that loose only 18% of their value after 5 years of use except it seems ham radio gear on eBay.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 08:10:44 PM »

I agree that happens in some cases but look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightly-Used-Yaesu-FT-857D-Transceiver-with-New-Separation-Kit-/231028647505?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item35ca616651#ht_90wt_1421

First Bidder offers $775 + $12 shipping  Huh Huh

How do you know that that isn't a sockpuppet bidder?  Since eBay removed the ability to see who is bidding on what (user IDs are censored now) it's almost impossible to tell if you're going to be bidding against fake personas.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 10:18:18 PM »

If it is he's an even bigger fool than I thought.
An opening bid of $775 is going to drive just about everyone else away, he's almost certain to win his own item.  Sure he can say the person never paid him but you can only get away with that so many times on eBay before they close your account.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:21:32 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 05:44:14 AM »

Some people just aren't very smart...

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »

Excitement, fun, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat!  All of those reasons.  Some people get their kicks and thrills through Ebay and the shopping network.  It is a form of entertainment.  That's why all of those "Seen on TV" ads work. Have you ever watched those auction shows on TV?  Have you ever been to a live auction?  The best are the grab bags or the mystery boxes.  It is clear to most people that all of the left over crap is placed in these boxes and then auctioned off.  People know this yet they are thrilled to bid on the unknown.  You just never know what you might get.

Me thinks you are trying to over analyze this.  You seem to think that all people are rational and analytically minded.  They are not, most people in today's world function off of emotion and impulse.  It isn't necessarily a case of being stupid, per say, but we seem to think everyone should be making rational decisions.

By the way, have you ever bought a piece of ham equipment that you didn't really need just because you were at a hamfest and it was a good deal or just because you wanted to or just because you felt you had to buy something because you were there?  To each his own I guess.  We all do it.  Some just get caught up in the moments more than others.

My downfall is on the other end of the deals.  If I am in the mood to get rid of something, I feel a need to get rid of it no matter the price.  Sometimes I lower my prices beyond reasonable just to get rid of it.  But that is just the way I am.  That is why my wife makes me go inside during garage sales. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: