Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are people paying these Crazy prices on eBay?  (Read 64792 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »

I am like you in some regards in that at sometimes I want things out of my house and I typically just give them away Smiley
I have had some pretty happy people leave my house with stuff that I just wanted out, I think sometimes they left thinking I must be crazy, but I get tired of saying to the YL lets just get rid of this; then we both kind of look around and say No, lets just put it back up.  Two years later I open a box and there is the same item still gathering dust.  This time I just give it away to get it out of the house right away.

On the other hand I never make purchases based on snap decisions or for the thrill of the win.  I have about a 80% winning track record on eBay and it's not because I pay high prices, it's because I know what I want and I have researched it properly so that at bidding time I have a price written down that is the highest amount I will pay for it, and a model number that confirms the exact item that I have researched and mainly I am patient and will wait for months for the item to show up at the right price.

Most of the time I get stuff for a steal, a few months ago I got a HP 8684D 20Ghz Signal Generator for $320 + $40 shipping and it worked out of the Box, it needed about 6 hours of work to return it to full operation but most of that was mechanical issues and calibration. I also got a Xytronic 988 soldering/desoldering station a few Weeks before that for about $100 with the Iron missing and one stand missing.  I picked up the missing parts for $50 so in the end I got a $300 soldering/desoldering work station for $150 and a $2500 signal generator for $360 .

IMO that's what eBay is about and I won't waste time on used items that are not a deal.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »

I bought an IC-9100 from a seller on ebay this summer. I've been wanting one for a while, and most of what was out there was way too high for the condition they were in. This one looked pretty good, the seller said he only used it for a few hours, and even though the opening price was high, I went ahead and bid. I ended up paying what was basically the price of the stock unit new from HRO, but this one had an "upgraded" microphone and included the roofing filters. Was it the cheapest auction? No. Do I think I got screwed? No way. It arrived as described and not a scratch on it (in fact I likely did more damage verifying that the roofing filters were installed when I scraped some of the paint off the screwheads). Since I had planned on getting the roofing filters anyway I basically got them for free. But until it was in my hands I suffered a fair amount of buyers' remorse wondering why I paid so much.

So do your research and realize that something that is well cared for can maintain it's value. Not everything is subject to Moore's law or should be priced like ripe produce.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »

KOJEG I am happy that went well for you, but you do realize that could have easily ended up being a complete disaster.  I have bought a few "Mint Condition" items and found out the Hard way that "Mint" is a subjective term.  That's one of the reasons that I will not buy anything on eBay unless it's at least 30-40% discount vs buying a new one.  I have ended up with several items via eBay that if I had gone by the sellers description and pictures I would have really been SOL!   Luckily because the price was low I did not mind dealing with the scratches or fixing other problems.   

BTW the standard reply to a email sent to a seller about a problem with a unit: "It was fine when I shipped it, something must have happened during shipping, you need to contact UPS"
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »

KOJEG I am happy that went well for you, but you do realize that could have easily ended up being a complete disaster.  I have bought a few "Mint Condition" items and found out the Hard way that "Mint" is a subjective term.  That's one of the reasons that I will not buy anything on eBay unless it's at least 30-40% discount vs buying a new one.  I have ended up with several items via eBay that if I had gone by the sellers description and pictures I would have really been SOL!   Luckily because the price was low I did not mind dealing with the scratches or fixing other problems.   

BTW the standard reply to a email sent to a seller about a problem with a unit: "It was fine when I shipped it, something must have happened during shipping, you need to contact UPS"

Absolutely agree. In fact, I hadn't bought anything on ebay for a few years, mostly because it suffered the same problem I've seen at most permanent flea markets: "dealers" who want to be in retail but don't want to do the legwork set up shop and take over. But along with them came a bunch of people who heard about how everyone was getting top dollar on Ebay and expect to get top dollar for their junk. Both of these people were catered to by ebay with the "buy it now" price, which defeated the whole point of an auction site, because Amazon starting offering the same sort of storefront to the "dealers" and ebay got nervous. And this purchase happened after several months of searching, both Ebay and other used markets and websites. In fact, I've only been burned once, and that was from a retailer (dealer) who never shipped the product. I got a refund, but it took over a month because Ebay wouldn't let me file until after the "expected" delivery date. I've also backed out of deals that started to smell fishy too, which is another reason why Ebay isn't my first choice anymore.

I've sold quite a few things on Ebay back in the early days and did quite well. But I also put a lot of work into selling, and in the end would rather sell unused stuff at a local hamfest instead. No screwing around with shipping, questioning whether or not you'll get paid, etc. And it's nice to meet the people who buy it.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 08:05:39 AM »

Simple, that's what THEY think it's worth!!!

N9LCD
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 10:35:40 AM »

Actually, it's worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 06:35:14 PM »

The most recent example of crazy prices is the SG-211 mini tuner which was bidding around the $75 range but suddenly ended up selling for $306.99 !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-SGC-INC-SG-211-Mini-Smart-Tuner-MiniSmartuner-Antenna-/221260146965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338421e915#ht_431wt_676

This is a tuner that some hams consider troublesome where it would retune in the middle of a QSO. It originally retailed for $179. It got a 3.6/5 on the eham reviews. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4154
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:42:25 PM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 06:44:26 PM »

Actually, it's worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it.

Yep.

Why do grown men get paid millions of dollars to play a game, and hit small balls thrown at them with wooden sticks, and at the same time other men paid the same to chase the small balls, if hit by the wooden stick, on grass fields with leather gloves? (I'm talking about baseball of course).

I don't agree they are worth the money, but nevertheless, somebody else does, and that's basically all there is to it.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »

Because I want it. I can afford it, and it is worth it to me. Maybe not you but to me. I buy old radios to repair and restore. I buy some because I had them when I was a kid, or some old ham radio I could not afford back then, but can now. I do not care if you think I paid to much for what you consider old junk. I just want it, and yes I can afford it, and to me it is a bargain at any price. If you don't want something, or you think it is crazy priced, don't buy it. Don't tell me I am overpaying just because you think it is not worth it to you. A fellow in England a while back bought a mock-up of the star ship Enterprise used in the Star Trek series. Paid $750,000.00 for it. If I had the money I would have bought it, you pay your money for what you want and can afford no mater what the price. Too bad if you think I am overpaying.

Just my opinion

73s

K2OWK 
K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »

.....I won't purchase large ticket items either, such as radios, audio gear, and so on. Too much risk Imho.

Cheers,
Shawn

Actually, as much as I hate to admit it, eBay is the safest place to buy these types of things. If you buy something from someone here on eHam or QTH or other similar sites, and pay with a check or money order, then you're pretty much screwed if the item isn't as expected. eBay/Paypal will try to get you a refund in these cases.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 04:07:54 PM »

The most recent example of crazy prices is the SG-211 mini tuner which was bidding around the $75 range but suddenly ended up selling for $306.99 !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-SGC-INC-SG-211-Mini-Smart-Tuner-MiniSmartuner-Antenna-/221260146965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338421e915#ht_431wt_676

This is a tuner that some hams consider troublesome where it would retune in the middle of a QSO. It originally retailed for $179. It got a 3.6/5 on the eham reviews. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4154

This is indeed more puzzling than someone paying almost new price for a current production used item. I checked with SGC just before field day and they had these in stock for $179. They do go in and out of production throughout the year, but the point is, it is an available item most of the time. You won't see often see them on eBay, but they general go for about $125. Over $300 is the hallmark of a bidding war between idiots. On the other hand, if the idiots have deep pockets, then more power to them.

I've never felt cheated on eBay by someone outbidding me. What really bugs me is when I forget to check my watch list and one of my items gets auctioned off for way less than I would have paid for it.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »

That's just another example of what I said at the start, it's just crazy and stupid to buy used equipment for close to or LOL more than what you can get it for new.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 05:02:48 AM »

I generally stay away from auctions. The excitement of an auction seems to lose its appeal waiting 7 to 9 days for it to finally end (and making sure you are at the computer so no one out bids you at the last minute ) and then having to wait another 5 days for it to be delivered, 1/2 a month to get the item.

The best (buying) deals on E-Bay for me have seemed to be 'Buy It Now'.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 10:52:43 AM »

I agree, I use a lot of buy it now but you got to be careful because most of those auctions are from online stores and the prices are sometime jacked up.  For example I saw some 10 turn potentiometers for what looked like a reasonable price but when I went to Digikey they were 20% less.  Not a big deal on a cheap item but it happens with more expensive stuff also. The only good thing is that you don't have to wait.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »

Sitting at your computer is not necessary to bid on and win an item on EBay. Just indicate your maximum bid to EBay and they will bid for you. If bidding starts at $10.00 and you are willing to pay $100.00. Simply bid the $100.00 and EBay will step up the bid one bid at a time. If the bid goes to $75.00. This is what you will pay if the bid closes at this price. If it goes over the $100.00 you will lose the bid, but this would be the maximum you would pay for the item. It is called automatic bidding. I hope this explanes the process.

73s

K2OWK 
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: