Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: upcoming CQ WW RTTY DX ???  (Read 8366 times)
K0XY

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:33:50 AM »

...I'm very new to PSK31...I spotted the upcoming CQWWRTTYDX contest for this September 28-29...the contest description is of course RTTY and the rules state "nothing" about PSK31...so, can I operate PSK31 for this contest and will there be PSK31 contest activity Huh??   also, I typically run about 30 watts for PSK...for the contest should I continue with the 30watts or should I run higher power  Huh?? ...sorry, these are naive questions, but the rules do not discuss "MODES" ...thanx Ron K0XY  Undecided Undecided Undecided
NB3R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »

RTTY is the "Mode" for this contest.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »

From, the CQ WW RTTY Webpage:

III.    TYPE OF COMPETITION

For all categories:

13...Only Baudot mode is permitted.

Sorry, RTTY Only.
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:17:08 AM »

...thanx for the replys are there any Major Contests for PSK 31 HuhHuh Huh
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »

...thanx for the replys are there any Major Contests for PSK 31 Huh?  Huh Huh

I encourage you to at least try the leading RTTY contests (e.g. RTTY Roundup, CQ WW RTTY, CQ WPX RTTY, also NAQP RTTY and NA RTTY Sprint) in RTTY mode. I feel I'm starting to get the hang of RTTY contesting. I try to use PSK in contests that allow it. I'm not sure I understand PSK contesting :-(

Some PSK-Specific contests:
TARA PSK Rumble Oct 5
YO International PSK31 Nov 15
EPC PSK63 QSO Party Nov 17
EA PSK63 Contest Mar 8-9
EU PSK DX Contest May 17-18
10-10 Int Open Season PSK Contest Jun 7-8

Digital contests that list PSK as an allowed mode:
DARC 10-meter contest Sep 8
SARL HF Digital Aug 18

There were lots and lots of PSK31 stations CQ'ing going on in ARRL Field Day, and only a handful on RTTY. I had some success on RTTY but little success on PSK.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:58:53 AM by N3QE » Logged
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 11:24:26 AM »

...well it should be obvious that I also do not understand PSK or RTTY contesting  Tongue, but thanx for the listings and maybe I need to get myself onto RTTY and give it a go  Undecided Undecided Undecided
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »

Ron, two suggestions:  I haven't been active on PSK in a few years, but the last time I was, I had a GREAT time as a member of the PODXS "070 Club."  Great bunch of hams, lots of contests and events, but all very casual, low-key, and friendly.  Take a look at the 070 Club's website! 

One of my very first PSK contests was someone who was in a 070 contest.  I apologized for slowing down his QSO rate during a contest, and he replied something like:  "No problem Ken, we're an easygoing bunch."  Smiley  GREAT people!

The other suggestion:  If you can do PSK, you can do RTTY.  I'm finding DXing and light-duty contesting on RTTY to be a bundle of fun.  And a contest is a really GOOD way to get your feet wet.  Tons of stations, quick contacts ...  you'll make an occasional mistake or two (I do every single contest!) but contesting is a great way to hone your RTTY skills.  Listen to a few exchanges, edit your macro keys, and jump right on in!  Wink   73 GL!  --ken
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »

...I'll check out the 070 group...and look into adding RTTY capability...thanx
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »

The CQWW contests are always great fun (unless you are one of those people who hates contests -- you know who you are!)

As with any contest, the first thing you need to do is read the rules: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_contests/cq_ww_rtty_dx_contest/cq_ww_rtty_dx_contest_rules/2013_cq_ww_rtty_dx_contest_rules.pdf

The exchange is the most important thing to understand. It is just a signal report (which is ALWAYS 599 in a contest!), your CQ Zone (your zone is 7) and your state. With single digit zones, it is usually customary to put in a leading zero, so your exchange would be 599 07 CO.

The biggest difference between RTTY and PSK31 is the bandwidth. PSK31 is so narrow that all you have to do is park your radio on one frequency (like 14.070) and just click on any number of signals on the waterfall. Because RTTY is much wider, there is no specific frequency where the activity takes place. What this means is that you have to go looking for RTTY activity (which is real easy in a contest!) by spinning the VFO.

This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of operating RTTY, much less in a contest. This is a MAJOR RTTY DX contest and (how can I say this politely...) this may not be the best venue for trying out a new mode. The pace will be pretty fast and furious and people just aren't going to be very likely to take the time to stop and help you out.

My best advice would be to try and see if you can locate someone in your area who will be participating in the contest and ask if you can come over and watch. Reading about it on the Internet is a good start, but watching someone actually do it will allow you to see how it flows in real time and ask questions as they come up.
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »

...great suggestions...thank you  Smiley
WB2RHM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 06:46:12 AM »

Next weekend is the SARTG WW RTTY Contest.  It is a great 'starter' RTTY contest. The 24 hour contest is broken up into three eight hour segments with an eight hour pause in between each session.  You don't kill yourself doing 24 hours straight, and if something isn't right with your station, you can fix or tune it up during the break periods...... or just grab some zzzzzzzzzs.
73, Ben - WB2RHM/4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: