Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally heard a Flex 6700 on the air today  (Read 31885 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 06:26:54 AM »

ooops, I forget CW sucks on SDR's and Flexers shun the Morse code......

For grins go read some CW comments about the 6700 on the Flex System Support Community. Do a search on CW. One poor ham says he is almost embarrassed to use CW on the 6700.....

CW ops - Stay away from the 6700 or ANY SDR if you want to work CW....

I gotta stay away from that Flex Community forum. It even depresses  me to read all the problems with SmartSdr.

Stan K9IUQ

KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »

I own a 5k. It's just another radio. I also use a bug. I, for one, love morse.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »

Heard another 6700 on the air, in fact  had a good long QSO with Ernest in San Diego concerning all sorts of things ham radio. His 6700 sounded great.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »

Heard another 6700 on the air, in fact  had a good long QSO with Ernest in San Diego concerning all sorts of things ham radio. His 6700 sounded great.

I had a good long 40 minute QSO with XE1RK yesterday, Ralph in Mexico City. We talked about all sorts of things concerning  ham radio. His Icom His Pro III sounded wonderful, one of the best SSB audio I have heard on the bands. He was using a $25  Ratshack mic. I heard a TS-590s and a Icom 7600 on the bands too, They all sounded great......

LMAO
Stan K9IUQ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »

I had a good long 40 minute QSO with XE1RK yesterday, Ralph in Mexico City. We talked about all sorts of things concerning  ham radio. His Icom His Pro III sounded wonderful, one of the best SSB audio I have heard on the bands. He was using a $25  Ratshack mic. I heard a TS-590s and a Icom 7600 on the bands too, They all sounded great......

LMAO
Stan K9IUQ

Ralph does have a good sounding station.. http://k5ted.net/mp3/xe1rkk5ted.mp3
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 05:22:44 PM »

Your mp3 was interesting. When I worked him on 17 mtrs he was 20db/s9 and no background noise what so ever. Almost as good as FM.  Amazing audio from a Pro III and a Rat Shack microphone.

I had just worked the OX5YL, the YL dxexpedtion in Greenland. I still had my amp on when I ran across him calling CQ. I was equally strong in Mexico. He recorded my audio and played it back over the air.  My  TS-590s audio was great too. My equalizer was off because I have been running Digital modes lately and forgot to turn it on when going to SSB.. I am not sure I want the equalizer back on as my audio sounded exactly the way I want it to sound.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:25:27 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 06:39:46 PM »

Your mp3 was interesting. When I worked him on 17 mtrs he was 20db/s9 and no background noise what so ever. Almost as good as FM.  Amazing audio from a Pro III and a Rat Shack microphone.

I had just worked the OX5YL, the YL dxexpedtion in Greenland. I still had my amp on when I ran across him calling CQ. I was equally strong in Mexico. He recorded my audio and played it back over the air.  My  TS-590s audio was great too. My equalizer was off because I have been running Digital modes lately and forgot to turn it on when going to SSB.. I am not sure I want the equalizer back on as my audio sounded exactly the way I want it to sound.

Stan K9IUQ

Maybe Ralph prefers his TS-950 SDX for the Maritime Mobile Net. Who knows? I have several different radios that are used for various purposes. Maybe Ralph doesn't even use a IC-756 Pro III. I'm not sure. That recording was made two weekends ago.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 05:51:48 AM »

Maybe Ralph doesn't even use a IC-756 Pro III. I'm not sure.

I just worked him 2 days ago. I wonder why he would tell me he was using a Pro III? Does Ralph lie like the Flexers??? Maybe he was lying about the $25 Rat Shack microphone? Maybe you think I am lying about Ralph?

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:54:26 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »

I just worked him 2 days ago. I wonder why he would tell me he was using a Pro III? Does Ralph lie like the Flexers??? Maybe he was lying about the $25 Rat Shack microphone? Maybe you think I am lying about Ralph?

Stan K9IUQ

I don't know for sure what he may have purportedly told you during your alleged QSO.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 01:40:47 PM »

Stan K9IUQ

I don't know for sure what he may have purportedly told you during your alleged QSO.

Well if I had to pick a guy to believe, it would be K9IUQ.  K5TED likes to tell lies and half truths.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »

Well if I had to pick a guy to believe, it would be K9IUQ.  K5TED likes to tell lies and half truths.

When you are only a General class Ham, you do tend to stretch and spin the truth. Working Mexico to Ted is probably a big deal, even tho he is in TX. I was wondering why his audio of XE1RK was so noisy. Then I remembered Ted only has a Flex 3K and other low end radios like a FT-897...... And probably a G5RV antenna.  Grin

Stan K9IUQ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »

I don't own a FT-897.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 05:05:35 PM »

I don't own a FT-897.

Apologies, I stand corrected. I  mistyped, meant FT-857. Does not matter as they are the same radio just different form factors. I know because I owned a FT-897D for a couple of years and had a friend who owned a FT-857. I am very familiar with them. They are some of the nosiest radios made. Which is why I got rid of mine. Fortunately the FT-897D was only my vacation/Field Day radio. I thought of my old FT-897D when I heard your audio recording. Hopefully your Flex 3K is quieter. My 5K was quiet with a pretty low noise floor.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:08:17 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 05:49:03 PM »

I don't own a FT-897.

Apologies, I stand corrected. I  mistyped, meant FT-857. Does not matter as they are the same radio just different form factors. I know because I owned a FT-897D for a couple of years and had a friend who owned a FT-857. I am very familiar with them. They are some of the nosiest radios made. Which is why I got rid of mine. Fortunately the FT-897D was only my vacation/Field Day radio. I thought of my old FT-897D when I heard your audio recording. Hopefully your Flex 3K is quieter. My 5K was quiet with a pretty low noise floor.

Stan K9IUQ

I just buy them and play with them. They all have different personalities and different uses. I'm really not one to measure or judge people by the property they own or the radios they use.

Today, I heard another ham on one of the nets talking about getting the shack ready for his new Flex 6500 to arrive next week. Exciting times for Flex 6xxx owners.

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 10:25:53 PM »

Wait a minute, Stan. 

I respect your observations and appreciate you sharing your thoughts without fear of reprisal/banning on eham (although you have been called about every name in the book, unfortunately, which is sad state of affairs)....but I beg to differ on your one point you made. I am a Flex 3000 owner and I am 80% CW.  All of it DXing.  Since I bought my Flex 3000 in 2009 my DXCC total has climbed to 311 from 267.  (Well, to be fair 20 of those are SSB).  But being able to see the DX listening habits in the CW pileup has been critical to breaking the pileup.  I can't imagine doing it any other way.

I won't defend the CW delay or the sometimes-misshaped CW waveform.  That really frustrates me at times, but I see it as a trade-off to having the panadapter. 

(OK, I see your point, Stan...I am using the concept of trade-off...accepting one shortfall on CW in order to get the benefit of another.  Almost sounds like I am trying to convince myself).

I still have my TS570 and my TS480SAT, and I use them pretty regularly.  I am never going to give up knobbed radios, and I like not having to worry about Deferred Procedure Calls or PC interrupts or some of the other complicated setup configurations for my Flex 3000.  I use the TS570 for SSB and the TS480SAT for high speed CW (greater than 25WPM) and for remote operation.

Would I ever contest with the Flex 3000?  For search and pounce, sure...along with CW Skimmer...that's how I contest these days with limited time and my advancing age.  For a real competitive contest entry (if I ever get back into that mode), no way.  I would go with the knobbed radio and some computer control like N1MM. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: