Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW cert on crashed computer  (Read 5809 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2013, 01:44:52 PM »

My laptop HDD crashed. I replaced it and re-imaged it, Everything went fairly smooth. Unfortunately, I did not retrieve any LoTW files. So I applied for new cert, and was sent an email that I have an existing one and cannot have overlapping certs.

I am awaiting further instruction from them.

The FAQ is kind of confusing as to what to do in the event of a computer crash or purchase of a new computer. I did this one before like 4 years ago, and cannot recall.
W7TX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »

You can get a new certificate any time. You get your certificate from the lotw site. Just click on your account and then your certificates.  You can download them as often as you need to.  Its a tq6 so after installation, make sure you save it as a p12 for other computers or future problems.  You can only install the tq6 on one instance of lotw, but the p12 can be installed on as many computers as you have.  The only time you should get one from email is when you are getting your first one or renewing.  If you renewed you have to install it from tqsl cert on the same computer you used to generate the renewal request.  You can also renew anytime, don't wait for the cert to expire. Save your p12's in a safe place.  I have backups.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:48:55 PM by W7TX » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »

The instructions are here, but they assume you made a backup copy of a .p12 file for each of your callsign certificates.

If you've lost your callsign certificates, explain that fact to the LotW Help desk, and they will issue a new certificate.

Dave, AA6YQ
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »

The instructions are here, but they assume you made a backup copy of a .p12 file for each of your callsign certificates.

If you've lost your callsign certificates, explain that fact to the LotW Help desk, and they will issue a new certificate.

Dave, AA6YQ

That is where I screwed up. Do not have the p12.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:30:22 AM »

I recently had a hard drive failure and was able to recover the P12 from my backup--but for some reason it didn't work.  So I requested a new certificate and promptly received a new one.

Zack W1VT
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »

I recently had a hard drive failure and was able to recover the P12 from my backup--but for some reason it didn't work.  So I requested a new certificate and promptly received a new one.

Zack W1VT

I have to do that. Do not have a choice. I was unable to recover. No biggie.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 07:58:54 AM »

I made a P12 copy and emailed it as an attachment to myself. That way I always know where it is and it will be available from any machine anywhere at any time. A backup is no good if you can't get your hands on it!
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 11:31:48 AM »

I made a P12 copy and emailed it as an attachment to myself. That way I always know where it is and it will be available from any machine anywhere at any time. A backup is no good if you can't get your hands on it!

DropBox and Google Drive are also good, free places to retain a backup of your "callsign certificates" in .p12 form, your station location, and your log.

Dave, AA6YQ
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »

DropBox and Google Drive are also good, free places to retain a backup of your "callsign certificates" in .p12 form, your station location, and your log.

Dave, AA6YQ

They sent me a new cert. But I have not gotten to it yet because my dishwasher shit the bed. LOL. Working on that.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 05:29:08 PM »

Got my new cert and all is fine.

Dave,

If I convert to DXlab from HRD, will all the worked/confirmed info move over in the export?
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »

Got my new cert and all is fine.

Dave,

If I convert to DXlab from HRD, will all the worked/confirmed info move over in the export?

Yes. If you need help, contact me via aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Dave, AA6YQ
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »

Will do. Thanks.
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 02:45:48 AM »

You can get a new certificate any time. You get your certificate from the lotw site. Just click on your account and then your certificates.  You can download them as often as you need to.  Its a tq6 so after installation, make sure you save it as a p12 for other computers or future problems.  

Exactly.  I don't understand why the OP was instructed to request a new certificate when you can always download your existing certificates in TQ6 format from LoTW directly (as long as they're not expired).  Maybe I missed something.  However, the advice to save the p12 is good, as you wouldn't be able to download your tq6 files if LoTW was down. 

In any case, I'm glad he got it worked out.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 05:34:42 AM »

You can get a new certificate any time. You get your certificate from the lotw site. Just click on your account and then your certificates.  You can download them as often as you need to.  Its a tq6 so after installation, make sure you save it as a p12 for other computers or future problems.  

Exactly.  I don't understand why the OP was instructed to request a new certificate when you can always download your existing certificates in TQ6 format from LoTW directly (as long as they're not expired).  Maybe I missed something.  However, the advice to save the p12 is good, as you wouldn't be able to download your tq6 files if LoTW was down. 

In any case, I'm glad he got it worked out.

Dave
K3DCW

I did that several times, but kept getting the circle with the red line thru it. When they sent me the new cert, the problem went away.

One thing I am getting sick of is HRD. I have the last free version 38. My old computer had 36. LoTW download is not working with version 38. It worked fine with the last version. I have to manually download and manually enter. I am ready to move to DXlab.
W7TX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 10:16:42 AM »

The reason the tq6 wouldn't load is because it only works on one instance of tqsl. That is the one you requested it from.  Even if you are on the same computer if you reinstalled tqsl then you have to install the p12.  Everyone should save the certificate from the tqsl cert program and you should always be able to reinstall it. Just highlight the certificate right click save.  Should be the first thing you do after installing your cert. I keep a copy on every drive I have.  Anytime I reinstall the OS, I have to use the p12.  I thought you imaged your HDD and the original tqsl on it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:23:23 AM by W7TX » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: