Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...magnetic or spring loaded return ???  (Read 3555 times)
K0XY

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2013, 09:13:22 AM »

... it seems everyone makes paddles with either magnetic or spring loaded returns...so what are your comments on preferences for magnetic vs. spring loaded  Undecided  Undecided  Undecided Ron K0XY
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:41:27 AM »

Hi K0XY

I tried many paddles single keyers and bugs.
Magnetic has no friction , but I would say the rest of the rest of the mechanics are as important.
Some times the shape of the paddles and distances between the paddles matter more as magnetic or springloaded returns.

I now use a Hungarian made single lever key with spring loaded returns, and the man makes springloaded magnetic as Iambic paddles as a couple of single lever keys and I found this single lever I now have the best in comport for my fingers.

http://www.amplitec.hu/jani_baratom%20_eng.html

Here you can find my Hungarian single lever key ( number 3), I have the one with the 45 degree angled contact blades, only the contact blades are angled and for  the rest of these 2 keys are mechanical identical, and yes you can feel a difference between the one with straight blades and angled ones.

Also used (tested at friends)a few Begali Iambic paddles, Bencher and Schurr and even MFJ paddles.
Also have a few home made Iambic paddle with spring loaded return.

And I used and have several hand keys and I found that one of the most important things for me was form of the knob on the key.

I do not like the flat knobs of the Junker the J37 or Chech army key a lot and I do not like the round knobs of several British WW2 keys. I love the knob of the Swedish postal key.  

I cannot say that the magnetic return has big advantages over spring loaded returns.

It is the complete package that makes the difference.
I even think that personal factors are as important.

I find that tight spacing and light use fits me the best

73 Jos
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:50:44 AM by PA1ZP » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 01:22:33 PM »

I've had a keyer paddle and a bug with magnets and did not like them at all.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »

Different feel to springs and magnets.
Magnets will have a lighter touch throughout their adjustment range than springs do.
I have both and it doesn't matter to me a whole lot either way once I get them adjusted.

I am more fussy about other aspects like traveling around the desk when I use them, height and width of the finger pieces and the key not being too noisy when I use it.
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 12:50:15 AM »

I have tried both , at the moment I use a Vibroplex code warrior and was a little worried re the mags as I ordered one but to be honest it's a pleasure to use . If you like a light touch then mags are an option as there is very little friction .. My concerns were that the mags wouldn't be strong enough for the job but they are more than adequate

billy
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »

...thanx all for the comments...I'm going with "the total package" concept rather than the spring or magnet philosophy...thanx Ron K0XY  Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: